Dogomania

Educating the public...

Papillons

Today I was walking one of my paps around at the local park. A lady approached me with a young bitch and we started talking. I could tell Gabe was really interested in the girl so I said, "Is your dog in heat?"

She looked at me funny and said, "Oh she might be! She's 9 1/2 months now."

I told her I could tell because of Gabe's behavior. (I show Gabe so he has been left intact.)

She told me she wanted to breed her dog, and I'm sure I must have looked shocked. I asked what breed the dog was.

It was 1/2 toy poodle, 1/4 pom and 1/4 chi. She then proceeded to ask if I'd be interested in breeding Gabe to her dog. I was appalled. I told her that her dog was a) WAY too young b) mixed c) not to mention not health tested. She said "Well I was going to let you have one of the puppies or give you money for one of them when I sell it."

I'm sure she was insulted when I told her firmly no, but I just couldn't believe she wanted to breed this puppy. In fact she said she wanted to hurry up and breed her before she came out of her heat. And this was a woman that had no idea her dog was in heat in the first place!

I tried to tell her all of the bad things that could go wrong, how there were already so many unwated dogs, and how she needed to take care of her young bitch and be a responsible owner while she is in heat.

I wish there were more ways to educate the public on the overpopulation of dogs and backyard breeding. Vets should put more pressure on their clients to spay or neuter their dogs. Especially those who are mixed or those looking to make money from a breeding. It's so upsetting. :(

I'm sorry... I just had to vent. I hope she doesn't find a "mate"... but I'm sure there will be some taker. Sigh.

-Colleen

It's crazy. People come up to us and ask us if we want to breed Dakota. He's a large white GSD. And people just love him because he's so big. This one guy practically went off the hook on Jeremy about it because he thought he was part wolf (uhh....no...full AKC, pal). And Jeremy actucally had to show him that he no longer has the parts necessary for puppy making.....

But like we would have done it anyway.....

Sheesh.....

But....on a good note. I did talk one of my coworkers into neutering his dog. A plush coat GSD. He really wanted to breed him....and I kept asking him why. He never had a good answer.....so finially we both decided that it would be the best. And he took him to MY vet to do it!

So there is always some good out there.....people WILLING to learn is the key.

Once when I was walking Shilo some guy came up to me and asked if my dog was spayed. I said yes and kept going. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, but the only reason I can think of why a guy would want to know if my dog was spayed or not would be if he wanted to breed his dog to her, or wanted to know if I was breedeing her myself. She's not even purebred.

~Seij