Dogomania

Can a dog be TOO healthy?

SizzleDog

... according to the vet, YES!

The vets seem to think they might have pinpointed Ilsa's bizarre alopecia. My new vet is a mover and shaker in racing sciences (dog racing), and apparently there's a relatively uncommon condition that some racing greyhounds develop. When the dogs are in optimum physical condition and on a high quality food, some mysteriously lose the hair on their chests, stomachs, and parts of their legs. They don't know exactly what cuases it, but their best guess is that the protein doesn't metaboliza correctly, and affects the coat and nails.

My vet took a look at Ilsa and noted many things that are red flags of this condition:
~ Ilsa's alopecia is in the "right places" for the condition
~ her alopecia gets worse at the time of year when she's exercising the most
~ her skin is otherwise healthy, and the hair she's got is in excellent condition
~ she's virtually pure muscle - optimal body condition
~ some of her toenails are changing color from dark brown to light brown

He suggested a trial run of Biotin supplementation, if if that doesn't work, he'll refer me to Dr. Noxom, the head dermatologist up at VetMed. The vet said I could call Dr. Noxom whenever I wanted, but suggested that we try the biotin therapy first.

Let's hope the biotin does the trick! It makes me feel a bit better to know that her alopecia could *possibly* be cuased by being too healthy!

Maybe it’s like this: Ice cream sales go up when the temp hits over 25 degrees Celsius. That doesn’t mean that the heat causes ice cream sales to go up. The heat causes people to get hot and feel like having a cold treat and then they buy ice cream. The temp is an indirect cause. Maybe being healthy is an indirect cause in this case. ???

Do you ever change your dogs diet? I have heard of dogs suffering from hair loss from excess nutrients and not enough nutrients. If ya know what I mean :lol:
kinda like eating the same healthy meal every day but maybe its too high in some great nutrients and too low in others. Thus causing a build up of one nutrient???

Perhaps TDG will know. :confused1:

Fascinating! :o

For what it's worth, one of our client dogs had some mysterious hair loss and the biotin thing did the trick. The dog (Schnauzer) now has lovely hair all over where before he had hair only in patches. Probably not the same thing as Ilsa since this dog had sores and inflamed skin. Anyhoo, the client was telling me that she happened to run into someone somewhere and, by whatever stroke of luck, this person told her to try the dog on biotin. All I know is that after medicated shampoos, diet changes, pred, etc., the dog fully "recovered" with the biotin. I would never have known that had she not shared her experience with a total stranger with me. Sometimes my clients teach ME things. :oops:

Good luck to Ilsa and I hope it does the trick.

I have heard of biotin deficiencies in dogs which ate too many egg whites. I have also heard of dificiencies occuring after long anitbiotic therapies which deplete the intestinal fauna.
For me, I would think the dog is not getting enough B vitamins. I give my dogs a B complex vitamin once a week. It has all the B complex groups like biotin, folic acid, B12, B6 blah blah blah :lol:

I was always told that if you keep you dog on one food too long it can get excess amounts of some vitamins and lack in others.

[quote name='Matty']I am just curious, if the dog is lacking a B vitamin such as biotin, how can that be a healthy dog? :confused1:
The dog has to be missing some thing in its diet. :niewiem:[/quote]
Maybe healthy dogs lack biotin. Maybe lacking biotin defines a healthy dog. LMAO ah who knows. :-?

It's not that they're lacking biotin, it's just that the protein that they metabolize goes elsewhere, such as the muscles, cardiac, and lung tissue. The extra biotin (I believe) helps the dog metabolize the protein more "efficiently", making it possible for the coat and nails to get extra attention.

Sorry, that's basically all I know. Ilsa is a very healthy dog, but she doesn't have much body fat (she's all muscle). One speculation is that some canine athletes have the same problems as human athletes - they're in such good shape that their horomones go wacky... look at the gymnasts that stop having their period, for example.

Ilsa's bloodwork came back compeltely normal, as did a skin scrape and allergy testing. My regular vet, my new vet, and all the vets up at the teaching hospital that have seen her agree that she's one of the healthiest dogs they've ever seen - no allergies, great hips and elbows, great eyes, vWD clear, teeth are near perfect, awesome muscle tone... they love her. She's healthy, believe me.

She is supplemented, and California Natural isn't lacking in any key nutrients. It's one of the best kibble foods a dog can be on. If you would like to look at the Analysis and Ingredients of California Natural, please check out their website at [url]http://www.naturapet.com[/url]

Yes, I've had the same problem with some of my Alaskans-usually about mid January when the racing season is full out- they're usually running up to 30 miles on training runs 3 or 4 times a week, plus racing on weekends. they usually loose it under the tail and in the arm pits - I do supplement with biotin as well as 400 I.U. Vitamin E, 500mg vitamin C and zinc. Seems to lessen the hair problems and toughens up their nails.