Dogomania

*sigh* Another ill dogger

Horsefeathers!

Just when we think everyone's healthy and happy, another one of my babies seems to be sick. Chico didn't eat tonight and he's kind of mopey. His gums look a little pale to me and he seems kind of uncomfortable when you put any pressure on his abdomen. He'll be off to the vet tomorrow (I'm never gonna get this bill paid down! :o ).

Again, and as always, please wish us luck that it's nothing serious. Out of all the dogs we have, Chico was the first one here and at one time an only child (believe it or not). He's the senior canine resident here.

Please don't let it be anything major. At this point, with the luck we've had, I'm kind of paranoid. :-?
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZgDxAhYgsXQfvkNs**CiXn17vTNMc94qVkI!cqXect5l7uUqYbqnZpqBxufPx7QYD7C0wqxEFootHI*o6ieO98ere1P4xCd!I0aE9jWSemMA*yrCDVEyksE2Ih1P2!rYYUUZkmGJslRAH4HEtUrIfg/1-26-03Chicobasket1.JPG?dc=4675454634218635929[/img]

Okay, I know I posted yesterday but my post is gone!

Wow your not having any doggy luck lately are you? :( Best wishes to Chico, hopefully their's nothing wrong and he'll be just fine and dandy really soon.

I really really really hope no one is trying to poison them! People are just horrible if that happens (fingers crossed its not) to be the case. :(

HF, is there a possibility there is still sewage in the yard from the hurricanes? How fond are you of your grass? I would heavy duty bleach the Sh** out of it, and if it died, too bad....

poor Chico, and HF and Mr. HF!!!

best of wishes to all of you. Hope everything turns out for the best....

:angel:

Sorry I couldn't check back sooner. Our power went out last night due to Jeanne and we just got it back. :oops:

Chico is spending the night at the vet's. His turn, I reckon. :(

It appears to be the same "thing" that has been going around with The Gang. DP, I kinda sorta wondered the same thing (poison) and it's not a far fetched idea considering my neighborhood, but we have been diligently monitoring our yard and walking the perimeter daily. We haven't seen any sign of anything tossed over the fence. No garbage, no packages, no remnants of "bait" or anything we can find. We've even been walking out with them on their potty outings and we don't see anyone trying to eat anything. This kind of thing is exactly why we try so hard to be good doggy neighbors. I mean, I always worry that someone will be annoyed and try to harm them, so we are very diligent in not letting them remain outside to bark and keeping them fenced in our yard so they aren't in trash, in other yards, etc. We are very conscientious and hope nothing has happened that would make someone want to hurt them. :-?

Doc is sending a sample of "it" off to the lab for a culture to see exactly what we're dealing with. All we know is that "it" is bacterial since it responds to antibiotics. Court, we had talked about the bleaching thing and it's a for sure thing now. As soon as these storms are through with us, we are bleaching the entire yard down, grass be d*mned. I don't know how effective that will be, but we'll certainly find out. Another option, depending on what the culture shows, is going to be to shift the entire yard around. It's the back part of our yard that is fenced now, but if it comes down to it, we may just have to dig up the fence and shift it to the front. Doc said that sometimes with livestock, you have to let some fields/pastures sit unoccupied for a while when strains of whatever(?) go through (sorry, not real knowledgeable about livestock stuff, so I'm only posting my interpretation of what he said). If our yard is contaminated with something and bleaching doesn't do it (which it may not since the ground is absorbant), we may just have to basically condemn that part of the yard. I don't know if it might have started with the water washing up from the recent hurricanes, but it sounds as possible as anything, I suppose.

Basically, it's wait and see until the culture comes back which could be 5-10 days.

When I left the clinic today, Chico still wasn't eating and didn't look like he felt too good, but he doesn't look any worse than any of the others did when they had to stay. I hope my little guy will fight this off as successfully as the rest did.

Thanks for checking on us!

Guest Anonymous

I'm so sorry you all are going through this again.

I hope Chico pulls through as well as the others.

If it is bacterial I don't think that would fall in the poision category.

However storm related it may be.

In the past I've used a garden sprayer that hooks to the hose to bleach my yard. OF course I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts.

Best of luck to your poor lil doggie Chico.

Yes livestock stuff can be a killer!! I hope its not any of that. I know some one who lost a dog due to this. They had no idea what it was he was just sick one day and died that day. Then they had to do whatever and send "it" off I guess you'd say. They sent his body off. And discovered it came from livestock and traced it most likely to the show grounds. He went to a show that weekend and died weds. And a few other breeders dogs also got sick from the same thing, but fortunatly didn't die.

Kat, I thought about that, but with 10 dogs bolting in and out the door, I'm afraid I would miss someone. I was wondering how it might work putting a tub of very dilute bleach water right outside or inside the door where they'd HAVE to cross it when they came in?

I notice this morning Perry is having some tummy problems and loose stool. He JUST got over this "thing." I'm not taking chances, but starting him on another round of antibiotics since we're now stockpiling them. D*mmit. :x

What about your water? Do you give them tap water? If you are near flooding areas it is possible your water quality has diminished and there is bacteria from a sewage spill. Maybe try giving them bottled water.

Just a thought, not sure if it has been brought up before.

I am so very sorry for all your troubles. I can't imagine how stressing it would be.