Dogomania

How is your dog bred?

True_Pits

How is your dog bred?  

1. 1. How is your dog bred?

• Inbred (Tight breeding such as parent offspring, siblings or half siblings.)
    • Linebred (looser inbreeding such as cousins, uncle/neice, aunt/nephew, grandparent/grandchild)
    • Outcross (two are more bloodlines in a definate cross. Please include how each dog/line is bred such as an inbred dog crossed to a linebred dog, ect)
    • Scatterbred (No dogs of relation have been bred together. Of many differenent lines)
    • Inbred/Linebred scatterbreeding (scatterbred dogs that have been inbred/linebred. Such as a scatterbred male bred back to his daughter, ect)
    • Unkown (A dog of unknown lineage. The dog is void of a pedigree history. Because the breeder didn't supply paperwork, or the dog is a recuse/shelter dog, ect)

How is your dog bred?

I've been itching to make a poll for about a week now, I just couldn't think of a topic. Now an idea popped in my head to make a poll about the way everyones dog(s) are bred. When voting you can also give more info about the dog. Why/how you picked the dog you got. How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding? How did you finally choose the breeder? rescue? Shelter? What drew you to the dog? Include any story/info about the dog you'd like.

I procided a brief discription beside the poll choices and will also elaborate more here. The choices were as follows.

Inbred-Dogs closely related are bred together in an attempt to strengthen the line and increase on the positive traits of a great individual dog. Such as a female being bred to her son who exibits these same positive traits, to increase these traits in the offspring and stack and match genes to do so. Inbreeding is a very good tool in a breeding program when used correctly. Eliminating health/structural problems with a pure family not allowing any unknown factors that could be negative to spoil the line. It is also a great test to any line of dogs, as inbreeding can bring forward negative traits and problems to a line. A line that is bred pure for many gens without problems shows how truly strong this line is. Where other breedings give you bad results and increasing negative. These faults may have showed up anyway in future linebreeding or even outcross and scatterbreeding by genes that were still contained in these others dogs or the results of all around poor breeding. Breeding is a great tool to use. However it is also practiced by those who shouldn't be breeding at all. Without proper breeding knowledge and without knowledge on their own dogs, they are putting future potenial offspring at risk and destroying line of dogs before its ever started and helping to ruin breeds. One reason it may be practiced is to save this type of breeder $$ on breeding along with bringing in more $$. As they may do a breeding keep an offspring and breed it to its parent while also breeding the parents and again and continue again and again. Doing this eliminates stud fees or the need to buy another dog. This can yield some of the worse possible offsrping with serious defects.

Linebred-Dogs that are related through a single common ancestors, a form of loose inbreeding, not so close as parent/child, sibling, 1/2 sibling. Linebreeding cousins, uncle to neice, aunt to nephew, grandparent to grandchild, great grandparent or great, uncle/aunt, ect. Line breeding is another good and successful tool. Linebreeding also stacks and builds upoin traits of the dogs and lines. It keeps consistency of a bloodline by breeding dogs of this line exhibiting positive traits known of the line with one another.

Outcrossed-Breeding dogs of two different bloodlines together to achieve a combination of the positive traits of each line. Outcrossing is a very successful method of breeding, taking linebred and inbred dogs of two bloodlines and crossing them. A 3 way cross is 2 dogs of 3 bloodlines being bred to one another to achieve a 2-way cross. This is done in an effort to acheive positive traits of these dogs which they possess from their line(s)

Scatterbred-scatterbred is a dog bred of many lines, often times of which no common ancestors exist and lines may be completly unknown. Other times their may be known lines, however there are many different lines. The dog will have common ancestors, line breeding behind them however decending from several different lines will increase less likelyhood of the dog possessing the known traits of that line and its all one big guess at how the dog(s) will turn out. It is less predictable then the above 3 mentioned forms of breeding. A dog of this bred to another will be unlikely to produce like itself even if it possesses good traits. This is one breeding form that is most often used by bybs/amatures (except for those dangerously inbreeding) as they will breed their two pets together who they have no clue about, will breed to the other dog they think looks good/cute or whatever, or breed to some one who offers their male for stud. This involves no pedigree research (if the dog is even registered) as well as very little if any other form of research at all. The pups from this resulting breeding will likely go through the same process and again dogs will be bred to just any other dog from around town.

Inbred/Linebred Scatterbred-This is a scatterbred dog who may or may not have recognizable lines, it is just as the first mentioned scatterbred description, however a scatterbred dog may have been bred back to his mother in an effort to improve upon her positive traits that her son seems to possess. This is very risky and unkown health factors may come into play and produce very poor quality dogs without knowing which genes are coming from where and the negative traits involved. Very dangerous to attempt. Linebreeding may be a better way to go, but it is much harder to still yield the consistency of a line and will require more culling.

Unkown-Dogs of unknown breeding and history. These dogs can be bred anyway, however this is unknown as no pedigree history is available.

Blitz is a shelter dog, therefore he is of unknown lineage. He is most likely a blue heeler (Australian Cattle Dog)/smooth haired border collie cross, with maybe bits and pieces thrown in (Lab? Bull Terrier? Dalmatian?) We didn't really set out with any intention as to what type of dog we were going to get, just that we wanted a medium to large sized dog that was young and smart. And we got him 8) He was 6 mths when we adopted him and now he's 9 years, and he's been the absolute smartest, most frustrating, most active, craziest, most obedient, most personality-filled dog I have ever had the privilege of both knowing and owning. Of course I'm a bit biased. :D

I didnt vote. I have two dogs.

My Lab X is mostly lab, with some shepherd (we think) and GSP ( from her head shape and coat quality) and was a rescue (as a puppy).

My Foxhound is a purebred, but field trialed, not show. The Hunt Club says they are mostly outcrossed, for hunting purposes, because in and line breeding is used mostly for show dogs, and they get better hunting results breeding two excellent hunters from different lines, etc. They also said this is not true of every dog, some are linebred, but not inbred.

They tend to agree with me (with some hesitation) that inbreeding may well be responsible for many of the personality and aggression problems that we see in a lot of dogs today. They wouldnt be quoted on that however.

Meg is bred from a bitch and dog that are unrelated. One dog is a scottish working trials champion and her Mum is an Irish working bitch champion. However in her 5 generation pedigree she has some of the best working trial dogs that the world has ever seen including the wonderful International supreme champion Wisp from Bobby Dalziel.

I didn't vote either because I have two dogs.

Zaphod is a mutt from a shelter.
Kavik is a purebread Border Collie. I believe he would fall under the Outcross option - I believe it was a North American line that focused on agility on one side and a working line descended from a recent UK import on the other side.

I didn't vote either because I have two dogs.

Zaphod is a mutt from a shelter.
Kavik is a purebread Border Collie. I believe he would fall under the Outcross option - I believe it was a North American line that focused on agility on one side and a working line descended from a recent UK import on the other side.

"why, how, you picked the dog you got"

with Free, she was a puppy doomed to shelter life ( a lot of her siblings ended up there) she's a "accidental" mix.

Laurel? she is a retired hunter. The Clubs turn them over to rescue, to be adotpted. If not for the rescues, they would be put down once their "usefullness"to the Club is over.

"how important was Pedigree, Blood Line, Breeding?"

NOT AT ALL.

Guest Mutts4Me

Sasha is a mutt.

She was a stray who wasn't really a stray, just a neglected puppy dog. Adopted our family, and then her owners dropped her off at the pound. They were lovely people, breeding their female Rott like crazy, and then getting a couple pit pups after they got rid of Sasha... The pits disappeared before they were full grown and were replaced with an aggressive Doberman that attacked the fence everytime I passed (which was often, as I worked across the road from their house).

Bloodlines, pedigrees, papers, etc are of little interest to me. I'll always go to a shelter or a rescue, for purebreds and mutts alike. Unless, of course, they come to me.

And... I'm of the opinion that people who start polls should always be the first to answer their questions ;)

Magic is a rescue.
Why/how you picked the dog you got. How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding? How did you finally choose the breeder? rescue? Shelter? What drew you to the dog? Include any story/info about the dog you'd like.
Pedigree, bloodline and breeding didn't matter. I went to the pound just looking for a dog that "fit." Had to be smart, fun and friendly. The only thing I would change about Magic is she is dog aggressive and at the time I adopted her I thought I could teach/train it out of her.

[quote]Why/how you picked the dog you got.[/quote]
I picked Ripley because I'd wanted a Papillon for years, I was just drawn to the little characters. I picked Dakota because, after finding out that Ripley wasn't fit for agility, I REALLY wanted a tough, hardy dog to work with in agility, and no better choice than a Border Collie for that one! :D
[quote]How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding?[/quote]Not very for Ripley. I wanted a pup that had potential for agility or therapy.
For Dakota, is was almost everything. I wanted a dog with herding and agility in his blood, I wanted a dog whose sire and dam were excellent examples of the breed. I wanted a dog whose ancestors had proven themselves in competitions.
[quote]How did you finally choose the breeder? rescue? Shelter?[/quote]
I was an IDIOT about this and I am still kicking myself today for it, although I love my dog to death.
The breeder was the only one that had been nice to me and showed me respect. Most of the breeders had pushed me away because I was 13, but this lady was nice and seemed to know her papillons very well, and she just happened to have the most wonderful, calm and beautiful puppy at that moment. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken my business elsewhere, because my dog is a genetic mess (HORRIBLE hips and knees)
Dakota's breeder is a trainer around here, and I started talking to her and examined her closely (I wasn't gonna make the same mistake with my next dog that I did with Ripley) and she had a very reputable breeding program, she had working dogs that were also successful in the show ring, and that were healthy (PROVEN HEALTHY, by health and genetics testing galore). The fact that she could help me with all my training issues was the icing on the cake.
[quote]What drew you to the dog?[/quote]
What drew me to Ripley was his whole demeanor. He was sweet, funny, calm and easily amused. He was also beautiful with excellent markings, and just seemed to gravitate towards me.
Dakota and I didn't exactly 'click' the first time we met, I thought he was FAR too dominant and would be out of control, but for some reason I have this[b] thing [/b]for those darn alpha males!! :lol: :lol: What drew me to him most was that he did have wonderful bloodlines and fantastic parents, both very successful in agility and herding and the sire an AKC champion. The fact that he is a beautiful example of the breed, and a VERY energetic pup was just two more good things. :D

Both current dogs are rescues. The first I adopted almost a year ago from a Petsmart adoption weekend that happened on my b-day. His mother was an 'almost' purebred beagle....could tell she had something else in her, but no idea what. Father unknown. He is a terrier mix of some sort, with a bobbed tail, pricked ears, one blue eye, one hazel eye, beagle coloring and about 25#, lol.

Our other dog was a rescue off the streets. She is a chihuahua mix of some sort. Not quite longhaired, but not short haired either, and kind of 'dappled' coloring. Could be a doxie mixed with a chi.

Before these 2 we had a purebred weimaraner who we adopted from a family who could not take care of him. Got his papers, and he was VERY inbred. This inbreeding is part of the reason we ended up needing to put him down. He was becoming increasingly aggressive despite our getting him fixed and taking him to animal behaviorists and breeders. He acted almost 'crazy', but had zero health problems.

[quote]My Foxhound is a purebred, but field trialed, not show. The Hunt Club says they are mostly outcrossed, for hunting purposes, because in and line breeding is used mostly for show dogs, and they get better hunting results breeding two excellent hunters from different lines, etc. They also said this is not true of every dog, some are linebred, but not inbred.[/quote]

Courtnek I find this very interesting, because what I see is that a lot of working dogs are inbred (and also linebred and outcrossed) and a lot of show dogs are linebred and outcrossed. Inbreeding working dogs to keep the "working drive" and personality traits. Of course each breed is different. But I was on another board where there was show dog people and AKC type people. One person who breeds for working dogs also. The show people didn't like inbreeding very much and thought you don't really "need' to do it I guess and you can find a totally unrelated dog that fits just fine and still get a perfectly good litter. Which I agree with. But when breeding working dogs even with two good ones that exhibit proper working traits and are proven working dogs being unrelated don't produce the same high percentages as inbreeding. Not that outcrossing isn't done in striving to still yet produce even better working dogs and add a little something that is missing. I said breeding working dogs is probably a bit harder to achieve. You can breed for phenotype really easy and enforce, change, ect a physical trait and breed two like looking dogs with similar structures and good conformation who aren't related and get dogs that have the same structure and good conformation. The working dog breeder was doing a father/daughter breeding to increase the positive working traits of the sire.
One person did also ask me why not use a sire thats not related, but that would be introducing unrelated integers into the line. Kind of scarey. This was all just a general sense and its nice to learn about some breeds and how they differ in breeding method and purpose.
Now the breeders I know of working, or show dogs or working/show dogs all practice all 3 forms of breeding and do whats needed as needed. But it was nice to see the outside view how the AKC show people thought and how some of the working ones were opposite.

[quote]They tend to agree with me (with some hesitation) that inbreeding may well be responsible for many of the personality and aggression problems that we see in a lot of dogs today. They wouldnt be quoted on that however.[/quote]

I wouldn't agree (without hesitation..lol), maybe its true for Fox Terries as all breeds are different. But I just don't see it, of course I've only had the most exposure and experience with APBTs and can't speak for other breeds. One thing I do see is that almost any breed the show version whether it is inbred or outcrossed has more problems health and temperament compared to the working version. What I see and know is that APBTs have been inbred for centuries but I think they have wonderful personalities, they are very stable and have some of the best temperaments. I know a lot of people don't think thats true and just would be shocked to see a friendly APBT. However they have been inbred for a long time and were very great dogs with outstanding temperaments. Looking at old breedings and the current breedings of reputable kennels with great stable dogs with correct APBT temperament who use inbreeding. Then looking at APBTs with bad temperaments and temperament defects and they bred by people who don't know what they are doing, don't selectivly breed and often are not inbred, just bred with another dog they could find and it wouldn't be related and some do inbreeding which is outrageous when they already have problem dogs from their outcrossing upon outcrossing. And breeding all the really messed up Pit Bull mixes (not that they're arnt any good pittie mixes out there), but you have to think no reason, only the idea of lets breed our female with Pit with that bad Rott or Bull Mastiff.

I do also have a ?. If they are bred outcrossed, how do they get the dog that they outcross to another? Are the dogs being outcrossed inbred, linebred or combos of both being crossed?

Mutts4me I will answer the ?s, I just didn't want to make my post any longer...lol

I didn't vote because I'm not exaclty sure what Web would count as. :oops: His father's great-granmother on his fathers side, and the same as his great-great-grandmother on his mother's side. Or something like that, I can't remember exactly now...

[b]Why/how you picked the dog you got.[/b]
Because he had the right personality for me. He and his sister were the only ones left at the breeders (they were 4 months old) and his breeder was keeping his sister, so I didn't get to choose between lots of puppies. But if Webby hadn't had the right personality I would not have bought him. Anyway, even if all of the puppies (8 of them) had been left I would have chosen Web. I got to meet all of his siblings at a puppy-meet later on and while they all were great dogs, none had all of the traits I was looking for.

[b]How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding?[/b]
Lots of fancy titles, famous names, etc. wasn't important at all. His parents were important however. I met his mom the first time I visited the breeder, and she was (is) a beautiful, friendly, smart, happy dog. Web's breeder had her do some retrieving- it was amazing. She had also proven herself to be a good representative of the breed, having one two "cert" in conformation (3 are needed to become a con. champion) and having gotten a 2 in a hunting/retrieving/whatever-its-called trials. She also had passed the entry test for becoming a search and reascue dog. Web's father was (is) a champion, and also has done well in retrieving trials (or whatever they are). Both parents have excellent hips, etc.

The breeder herself was also important. She was nice, but not "overly" nice, if you know what I mean. She was straight-forward and didn't gloss things over. She didn't have many dogs- just Web's mother and his sister, along with Webby then. They were all obviously well care for and happy. They also seemed like they were a real part of the family.

[b]What drew you to the dog? [/b]
He was the right one. I just knew when I saw him.

ALL of my dogs are of unkown lineage

[b]Why/how you picked the dog you got. [/b]
maggie-my dad picked her out of a litter, she was calmly laying next to her mom and just stared at my dad

Shadow- picked her out a litter cause she had the most white

Sheeba- picked her up off the street

Keesha-the only one left out of her litter(they were found in a ditch) and nobody wanted to adopt her cause she was the girl runt

Ozzy-my sister picked him out cause she reminded him of her last dog Timmy

Barkley-i wanted Barkley since he was 3 weeks old, i finally got him at 5 months cause the peopl werent taking care of him.

Eli-he was dropped on me by his previous owner.

[b]How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding?[/b]
Didn't matter one bit

[quote]I do also have a ?. If they are bred outcrossed, how do they get the dog that they outcross to another? Are the dogs being outcrossed inbred, linebred or combos of both being crossed?
[/quote]

I dont know the answers to any of your questions. I am not involved in any kind a breeding, trialing or showing. What I answered was what the Hunt Club told me. So its possible the answers are not accurate, I wouldnt know ( :oops: :oops: ). From what I have gathered, there are a number of Foxhound Hunt Clubs around the Northern Illinois Area, and some in WI
and Michigan. There are also quite a few in England as I understand it.
I would assume they meet up and make breeding arrangements with each other, but I cant assure you of that. I have no papers for Laurel, although
I have been told she is purebred.

Maybe this will help. I didnt adopt her because of her breed. or her looks,
or anything else. I was looking for a dog that would get along with Free, who is a very dominant "my-way-or-the-highway" bitch (no pun intended)
and was having a very hard time finding one. I stumbled across a web shelter that had links to a foxhound rescue society. I looked at the pictures of the dogs, and the descriptions, and they seeme like they would be a good mix. Required another animal to be with them unless I was home all day since they are raised in packs. Good with kids and other
small pets (I have cats too) etc. need fenced in yard. I had all the requirements, so I called and went to go see them. They "leaned" me towards meeting Laurel. She is not as pretty as most of the foxhounds
you see (her pic is in my sig) and she has sad eyes and fear issues.
and ear infections. I felt bad for her almost immediatley. She had been adopted out and returned, and I was getting the impression from these people that this was her last chance. Free liked her. she liked Free. I lost my heart to her and here she is. Has she been a lot of work? yes. Has she been worth it? Definitely.

"that's my story and I'm stickin' to it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

okay Courtnek, I was just curious. I can't see the pic in your sig :( its just an ad right now.

Here I go with mine. Well I'm not going to actually vote in my poll, because I have several dogs.
To answer all my questions, everything was very important when I selected the dogs. The breeders I either knew, one I was introduced to by another breeder and then had built a relationship with before I ever decided to get a pup from them and another I did research and found. I have several so I'll run down the line.

Ven I got from long time breeder and friend. He is linebred and both his parents are inbred. I had a choice between two pups, she had 5 and he was keeping 3. I picked him because of his attitude and personality. He was such an outgoing and friendly pup and still is so outgoing and more than too friendly. He is always too happy and too excited with the judges, meet people on the street, but what can I say he loves people, he's a big baby teddy bear and knows he's spoiled. He gets jealous, he cries, he wants what he wants when he wants it. Thats usually my attention. He's my favorite.

The other female who I no longer have but have breeding rights to I got from his same line, she is inbred from a 1/2 sibling breeding from the same sire, her dam is also from a father/daughter breeding from this sire. She is probably going to be outcrossed if she is ever bred, haven't really considered any possible studs though and I know the person who had her now hasn't really either. Although they are also looking to possibly do an outcross if they find the right compatible stud as they're looking to enforce certain traits and bring some others in. I kind of miss her, she had a lot of spunk, loved showing off and doing stunts I'll be taking her to the next show I go to and I'm excited.

I got my little brindle female from a breeder I hadn't really know that much. I had run into her once and then again at a show. I talked to her for weeks probably. I wasn't certain I wanted another dog at the moment. I was looking at them and not really sure. Then it came down to me most likely getting one, I was having a time choosing but then I ended up deciding. I was drawn to her personality and confidence, I really liked the temperament and attitude and she had the best conformation, very outgoing so I finally decided on Santana. She is outcrossed, her sire (who was also bred by the breeder) is linebred and her dam was from an outcross.

My flashy red and white female-Val has been a trip, she's a fun dog to have. I didn't really have much part in choosing her, in fact I didn't choose her at all. The same breeder I got Santana from had bred her CH bitch to Val's sire. She was giving me a male out of that litter. She had Val's brother from a previous breeding (who i just admired) and his breeder had just repeated the breeding right before she had bred her CH bitch to that stud. I had ALWAYS wanted a pup out of Val's dam. So when they repeated the breeding and it was to be her last litter and the breeder said he might have one for sale I was pretty excited. I wanted a female from this breeding and at the time I had 1 male, 2 females and I was getting a male from Santana's breeder. She had 7 and he said he might sell a male, so I wasn't sure if I was going to get him. Then that male died anyway a couple weeks later he said he was selling one female out of the litter which didn't give me a choice. So it was like the next day I sent the deposit after talking to him for half the night into the wee hours..lol The female was a seal and white female. She died the day I got her. We're not really sure what from or why. She had just had her final health check, test, wormings and shots on weds and I recieved her Mon. We have no idea what happened, maybe she picked up something, maybe traveling? The vet did nothing she was supposed to do and was too lazy to do an autotopsy like she was supposed to! Thats what I asked when I dropped the body off. I took her to the vet as soon as I got her and thats where she died, brought her home, then took her back. All she did was a fecal and said she died of parvo, which I know isn't true. Thats what she kept insisting when I was in the first time, the dog didn't have symptoms of parvo, had been tested weds which was only 5 days prior and also been given her shot. When they are given their shots they may test positive for parvo for about a week if you do a fecal. But she wouldn't do what I ask and I'm still kicking myself for going to them when I know I really don't like that vet clinic. Well I talked to the breeders wife same day and she said I could have a female out of the same sire they had got for a stud fee (they got a male and a female) or I could just wait for another breeding out of him. Even though I'd really wanted one from her that was her last litter, I really liked the sire anyway and would love to have a whole yard full of his pups. He called me a day later and I said I'd take the female as I liked her dam too and had been considering one from her. But then I didn't like her, didn't want her and decided to wait and was still dismayed about loosing my pup and that being the last time that breeding would ever be made. I talked to him all the time as usual, but about a month later he offered me the stud fee male because he decided to sale him and I jumped at the chance of taking him, I really liked him much better then his sister (for some reason) and knew that I would still have my female replaced later, but then he tells me I can have his pick female from Val's litter which would have been Val. You can imagine I was very excited, he had kept her and a white male. Well thats how I ended up getting her...lol Her sire is crossed(inbred/linebred) and her dam is practically scatterbred from 4 or 5 different lines that were linebred, well in the topside one of the lines was outcrossed twice after tight inbreeding and bred to her dam thats an outcross of two different lines. They bred Val's dam and sire together tighten up the line some. Santana's breeder (and now friend of mine) is getting a daughter of her sister, today actually, she will be inbred from a 1/2 sibling breeding, same sire. The sire of the litter is one of the males she bred out of her female to Vals sire. So it will be a grandaughter to her female.

The newest addition Muse is linebred with 2 1/8th outs. I was looking for a certain bloodline, so I went on my search for a pup. I looked to a few breeders before I found hers. One I still might go to in the future and I almost went for buying a pup from them now, but I didn't much like the dams bloodline outcross. It was a good bloodline and probably a good breeding, just not one I'm looking to add. I'm still keeping my eyes open for the future when they breed the sire to something else. One other breeder actually had a female from Muse's breeder they had bred to a CH stud and were offering a male off her. However this female was bred different and had been outcrossed and I didn't want that. Weird thing was Muse's breeder had a litter off that females dam and Muse's dam, both bred to the same sire. There was 2 availabe from the other litter and one from Muse's litter. So that would be Muse and I didn't really get much a choice there either. I found out they were pretty honest people with a good reputation, I really liked the pedigree and so I went for it. She's a red brindle, which is one of my favorite colors although I didn't know that before...lol Just a nice bonus to have a dog of the color you like. I really liked them and I'm very satisfied with the pup I got (so far..lol) and might possibly go to them again in the future.

she IS sweet. She loves me entirely. Free is a "loner" type dog, not real lovey...Laurel is the lovey dog. wants petting, attention, head-in-lap stuff.

Free loves me entirely, but in a more aloof way. I love both of them.
and yes, I'm a glutton for punishment in the animal world. Except for Ford, all of mine were "unwanted" and due to end up in shelters or put down.

I tend to take the "bad" ones, cuz no one else will. None of them are bad in my opinion, they just need a little more work. I am willing to do the work, and I usually end up with dogs that shine.

:D

Guest Anonymous

All of mine are the same story. Someone else didn't want them.

CJ (10yo Pom) was purchased by my parents from a BYB, given to my sister who had him for many years then given to me last year.

Little Girl (Age unknown but is a Senior Ret. Mix) Dumped outside my house. Vet says she has cancer and it's catching up to her now. We are just making her comfortable.

Bobbie (6 yo Aussie/Lab mix) Given to my parents. They gave her to me after I got married.

Belle (3 yo Beagle) Found outside of a school being kicked around by 5th graders...no one moved to help her so I did.

Gretchen (2 year old ACD) Pulled by a rescue from a kill pound. I was her foster mom. She was adopted by a family who SWORE they understood (and they were even able to recite ways to deal with it) how to handle dominate high energy dogs. Well she growled at them one day because she didn't want to get off the couch. I had parted ways with the rescue and got the phone call that if she were returned to the rescue she would be PTS. So here she is almost a year later.

Prissy (2 yo Pit Bull) Found as a 6 month old pup in New Orleans. Girl who found her tried to find a rescue for her but then Prissy started escaping her yard and she couldn't handle her anymore. She asked me to hold her until a rescue could be found. Her saviours had her fixed and updated on shots and well a rescue never was found that had room. After a year we decided to keep her.

Mac (5 month old Heinz 257) Found by some friends on the way home from a wake. They brought him to me so he could find a new home. It didn't take long for us to know he was here to fill the void left by the passing of our Chow/Shep mix.

Out of those dogs, the 7 cats, and 3 parrots. I've only adopted 1 of the cats, and I purchased 1 of my Quakers. Two of my cats are "rescue Rejects" and were scheduled to be put down for one reason or another, Two were found in my yard, one in front of petsmart, and hubby brought one with him when we got married.

The second Quaker was found in someones back yard and the Indian Ringneck was found in the wal-mart parking lot.

Now one day when I can finally turn off the sign that leads all strays and unwanted here I may just be able to get a dog that I want...Some how I doubt that.

courtnek, I can't see them either ... I am on Mac and have no "right click" capabilities, I can never access "Properties" and these are the reasons I can't post pics myself on the forum (though I can di it on msn ...)

Hey any other Mac users with the same woes? Court, would you be willing to just e-mail me a JPEG of your foxhound? Large file is no problem...