Dogomania

I love this big boy, but do I want three dogs?

JackieMaya

This big adorable boy ("Hogan") is an 8 year-old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever cross (with maybe some Newfie in there) who weighs 113 pounds. He's just adorable! He's up for adoption on the Minnesota Golden Retriever rescue site. I just keep going back to his picture. I can't stop thinking about him!
[img]http://www.ragom.org/pictures/Pictures2004/Hogan04135b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ragom.org/pictures/Pictures2004/Hogan04135c.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.ragom.org/pictures/Pictures2004/Hogan04135d.jpg[/img]

[I love big hairy dogs!]

How hard is it to introduce a new dog into a two-dog family where the dogs are best buds like Jackie and Maya are? As many of you know, Maya is on a cable in the back yard since she's a fence jumper. Jackie and Maya have the whole cable thing figured out and it works just fine. But I wonder if there would be jealousy with a new dog or if they would welcome him.

[He's so adorable!]

I need another dog like a need a hole in the head! Then I would have 3 dogs and 1 horse! But if I got Hogan, then I could go back to taking Jackie out to the barn with me, because she stays away from the horses and I totally trust her out there. Then Maya and Hogan would hang out at home when Jackie and I were gone.

[Just look at that face!]

And unless I got someone to housesit for me when I'm gone (I'll be showing my horse next year), the kennels costs are going to be no fun.

[Wouldn't he look cute with Jackie and Maya?]

Is it much harder to have 3 dogs than 2 dogs?

Oh, what's a bighairydog-loving girl to do...

On reading the post title the first thing that popped into my head was "hell Yeah".... but for some reason the title made me think of a new quy you were in love with and that he had a dog and that made 3...........

anyhoo..... that big boy is just gorgeous and you know best as to whether he will fit in with the family or not.

He is handsome. I see what you're talking about! He looks like a very lovely dog!
I have only one dog so I can't give you much advice about multipule dogs other than that when you add a third dog it is a whole new ball game and you have a pack, issues might arise depending on the dogs.
You know what they say about rescue dogs, "There is always room for one more."
If it were me and the dogs got along no prob and the dog was just perfect I would take him even if I needed another dog like I needed a hole in the head.
JMO :)

JackieMaya,

We are thinking about adding a 3rd to our clan. But we are downsizing! Already have two GSDs (at 120 pounds and 110 pounds) and seriously thinking about adding a Chinese Crested. We also have 3 cats. And everyone is indoors. The dogs just go outside to potty and play on nice days. The cats NEVER go out. So it's alotta hair in our house. But, we have the room and the love to add another. Also the finances. That is another thing to think about, although it sounds awful, doesn't it? My husband and I sat down and said, "Could we afford another dog?"

But he is beautiful. I'm partial to the hairy ones myself.... :D

Well, I put in my application online. Now after they contact me, they'll schedule a home visit and go from there.

It always breaks my heart when I see senior dogs up for adoption. They've been someone's pet for their whole lives, and all of a sudden they're not wanted any more. I would like to give a senior dog a happy rest-of-its life. I really fell in love with Hogan, so I hope it all works out to get him. If not, maybe I'll end up with another senior Golden.

Wish me luck!

Guest Anonymous

I'm a person who as of Feb. 2001 had one dog and three cats.

As of March 2001 we were up to 2 dogs, 5 cats.

May 2001 brought the 3rd dog and no more cats.

June brought 6th cat.

In 2003 I added (not necessarily because I wanted to mind you) a Pom (Now 10), Pit Bull (now 2 if not older), an ACD (about 2).

In 2004 I've lost one dog, one cat, and have added three cats and one dog.

Since 2001 I've only lost 1 dog, 2 cats have passed away with me and others found happier lives as they were never meant to be with me but I saw no other place for them to go.

In all honesty....Having 7 dogs and 7 cats is just the same to me as having two of each. The only difference....I really need a HORSE trailer incase of hurricane evacuations.

I have 6 dogs, the only problem I have is trying to make sure each gets eqaul amounts of attention. With my dogs I just threw them all in together with no issues. I have 2 intact males and an intact female, the other 3 are spayed and nuetered. I have had no problems with heirachy issues.

The best thing to do is to introduce your new dog to your own dogs on nuetral territory. Have some one meet you with your new dog and let them get to know each other. Having 2 dogs at home (their territory) then bringing another one in can cause a little bit of huffiness at first with some dogs.

Good luck and the dog you are about to adopt is beautiful. We have quite a few Golden/Shepherd mixes which look exactly like this dog come in for grooming.

Here's a Leonberger, this is Jethro, he belongs to one of our volunteers :D .
Good thing his mom is 6 feet tall herself, this big chooch is 175 lbs. :o (bigger than standard for a Leon).
JackieMaya, go for it, Hogan's a beauty!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Lokipup/Dog%20pics/kirajethro.jpg[/img]

Hogan is a handsome fellow, I doubt he'll have any trouble getting a new home, I'll keep my fingers crossed for JackieMaya :P . I figure that once you've crossed the line from having one dog to two, it'd be an easy transition to have more from there.

Again, he's a good lookin' dog, but I think it's kind od silly to assume that he might be part Leonberger. It's just not a common enough breed in the States to be running around having illegitemate children, though I'm not saying it's impossible.

Jackie and Maya don't live outside, but probably spend 4-6 hours outside playing and pottying. The only problem I might have is that Maya has to be on a cable when she's outside or she'll jump the fence. But Maya and Jackie have the whole cable thing worked out just great.

They said that oftentimes it takes 2 weeks before the wheels get set in motion.

I'll keep everyone updated!

This is what they have to say about Hogan on their website:

Hogan arrived on Saturday, 7-24. He is a beautiful, massive boy, around 100#. He is a German Shepard/Golden Retriever mix with a very handsome face, cute ears, and full of fur. Hogan is 8 years of age, still has some of that puppy in him, but is slowing down a bit - he has a little stiffness in his right leg. After settling in, Hogan has warmed up to my dog. He was acting tough at first but yesterday they play wrestled and it was hilarious. I think they both were trying their best to lose! So far he is good in the house (no accidents). Hogan will be scheduled for a vet check soon - more updates later.

UPDATES:

8/14/04: Hogan has a date with the Vet next week - hopefully everything goes well. I have started brushing him because of a few matts, but now it has become my obsession. He has to be the furriest dog I have ever seen! Hogan would be best suited in a house with no kids (in my opinion). He's so big he doesn't know his own strength. He also has a history of not liking cats. Now if we can find someone who loves big furry Teddy bear type dogs, we'll be on to something. Everyone who sees him says he's just beautiful. I will try to send some pictures in.

8/26/04: Hogan had his trip to the Vet this week. He is 113# and could lose just a couple of pounds - other than that he passed with flying colors. He is just a big playful teddy bear - everywhere we go people ask what kind of dog he is and say how good looking he is. Most say he looks like a Newfoundland. He would be a great dog for someone who doesn't need a purebred and wants a dog that will bond with you. More later.

9/18/04: Hogan has adjusted very well to the household. I've trimmed him up the best I can and he looks great. He loves his tennis balls, loves the company of people and walks good with the Gentle Leader. I have not noticed any more stiffness in his leg. I started supplementing gloucosamine into his diet, seems to work. It would be nice if Hogan could find a home with a fence since he dislikes cats (so I've been told).