Dogomania

FYI Attack (from Denver Post)

BuddysMom

[quote]"The dog had Vivianna by the back of her neck and was shaking her in that pit bull death grip," Brown said.
[/quote]

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I feel bad for that girl... now she will think dogs or maybe just pits are evil. Poor girl.

[quote]her father asked her what she'd like for dinner.

"I wanna eat that dog," the 3-year-old said.
[/quote]

Thats just a little creepy :o Again sad situation.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Seijun']Is it common for mixed breed dogs with no pit in them to be accused of being pits or part pit?[/quote]

Yeah... It's common for purebred dogs with no pit in them (err, obviously) to be identified as a pit, as well. Which is why games like these are out there:

[url]http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html[/url]

[url]http://members.aol.com/radogz/find.html[/url]

Because many, many people do NOT know what a pit bull looks like. They have some vague idea in their mind of what a pit bull is, and any dog vaguely fitting those characterisitics will easily be identified as a pit. Like in NYC several months ago, a little girl's face was slashed open by a "Pit Bull" (as the headline screamed) when she stepped into a dogfight in her basement. Later reports (quietly) identified the dog as a boxer or boxer mix, then other reports identified the dog as an American Bulldog.

Cournek has had her foxhound called a pit (a viscous one at that, I believe)... of course, the guy was drunk... but still...

One of my co-workers hates pit bulls and Rottweilers, but in further conversation, I realize she has no idea what either of these dogs actually look like.

Whose dog was caught in a fence and called a pit bull? Was it BK? I think it was an ACD or ACD mix.

When I was still watching Animal Cops, I could never forget the episode where a report of a pit bull being beaten and thrown into someone's trunk yielded a chow mix that looked very much like Sasha (my fuzzy, curly tailed mutt).

So yes, it is a big problem. All the reports of pits and pit mixes attacking people stack up in the dog bite statistics and turn the pit into a Dangerous Dog. Yet if you realize what a problem misidentification is, you have to wonder how skewed those results are.

[quote]Cournek has had her foxhound called a pit (a viscous one at that, I believe)... of course, the guy was drunk... but still...
[/quote]
yes, this did happen. My AF was a Pit Bull to this guy, why I dont know.
You see Laurel all the time in my sig...the colors? the coat? who knows..
but it makes me think that all Pit reports are not Pits..

I get the Post most days so I'll look for follow ups as to whether it was actually a pit. What I found striking is that animal control had the muscle to follow through on the prior incident but obviously didn't. Yes the owners got a citation but I don't call it follow up if you just make them pay a fine.

[quote name='Seijun']Is it common for mixed breed dogs with no pit in them to be accused of being pits or part pit?

~Seij[/quote]

In the Denver Post, you can count on it.
You can count on them to make a big deal about aNY incident with any dog that might be a pit bull.

When the pit bulls killed the lady last year, the Post screamed the story across the TOP HALF of the front page. Traditionally, that's the place newspapers put the most important story of the day.

The Denver Post does NOT headline any of the 50 or so murders that occur in the city each year that way. (unless it's something sensational like JonBenet).

They hate pit bulls.

This reminds me of a Judge Judy episode I watched yesterday, where a young guy brought his pit bull terrier to a company 'family' picnic and let her/him off the leash, whereafter he/she mauled a 4 or 5 year old girl and almost tore her upper lip off. His reasoning was that she 'antagonized' the dog, but he knew BEFORE letting the dog off the leash that he/she had previously been tortured by mean little kids, and STILL allowed the dog off the leash around children, without warning people he/she was skittish around children.

Regardless of the breed, the fact that the owners were cited about the dog previously biting someone means that A. The state should have followed up, and B. The owners should have been MUCH more vigilant. The fact that things like this happen makes me sick.

[b]No Dog Lover she wasn't outside alone the story says that the father was talking with a neighbor when the dog came shooting from his home straight for the child. It was that neighbor that helped get the dog off the child. I don't think even if your eyes were on the child every second you could have stopped that attack. [/b]

[quote name='coastie_wife']This reminds me of a Judge Judy episode I watched yesterday, where a young guy brought his pit bull terrier to a company 'family' picnic and let her/him off the leash, whereafter he/she mauled a 4 or 5 year old girl and almost tore her upper lip off. His reasoning was that she 'antagonized' the dog, but he knew BEFORE letting the dog off the leash that he/she had previously been tortured by mean little kids, and STILL allowed the dog off the leash around children, without warning people he/she was skittish around children.

Regardless of the breed, the fact that the owners were cited about the dog previously biting someone means that A. The state should have followed up, and B. The owners should have been MUCH more vigilant. The fact that things like this happen makes me sick.[/quote]

That was a Boston Terrier....... :wink:

:wink: The guy did have 2 dogs with him at that picnic but it was the Boston Terrier that bit the little girl......10 stitches on the inside near her lip and 5 stitches on the outside.

Man was definitely in the wrong taking a dog that had been abused(by kids) to a picnic where kids were and letting the dog be off leash and running around. Just an accident waiting to happen.........

Lol, I didn't see the dog in question, too busy helping my son off the bus from school and such. I *thought* they mentioned it being a pit bull, but I could have been mistaken :oops:

For the record, I have owned a boston, so know what they look like, lol. But like I wrote, regardless of breed, previous aggression toward humans (and sometimes other dogs) should be a 'warning' sign to jerks who do things like that :P

[quote name='Dog Lover'][quote name='Cairn6'][b]No Dog Lover she wasn't outside alone the story says that the father was talking with a neighbor when the dog came shooting from his home straight for the child. It was that neighbor that helped get the dog off the child. I don't think even if your eyes were on the child every second you could have stopped that attack. [/b][/quote]

I asked a question and said IF she was outside along it was completely wrong. But she wasn't. That is what happens in A LOT of attacks involving young children. They are outside alone unsupervised. I didn't say anyone would be able to stop the attack did I?[/quote]

Dog Lover you got a bee in your bonnet I was just giving you the information. :-? Did I say something wrong? [img]http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Sorry.gif[/img] Did my post sound like I was picking on you? If so I really didn't mean it that way.

[quote name='coastie_wife']Lol, I didn't see the dog in question, too busy helping my son off the bus from school and such. I *thought* they mentioned it being a pit bull, but I could have been mistaken :oops:

For the record, I have owned a boston, so know what they look like, lol. But like I wrote, regardless of breed, previous aggression toward humans (and sometimes other dogs) should be a 'warning' sign to jerks who do things like that :P[/quote]

I know how that is......I happened to be able to catch that part of Judge Judy that day with no interuptions from kids or dogs !!! LOL
You're right though anyone that knows their dog is skittish and has been abused by kids does not in their right mind take them someplace with kids and let them off leash to run.....DUH.

I had Boston Terriers growing up, very nice dogs. We never had an aggressive one.
But, some family friends of ours got one and the little girl teased it and was mean to it and it bit her ear off. She had to get a fake outer ear. The family should've had control over that girl, and not allowed her to abuse/tease the dog. I feel bad for the girls ear, but she really had it coming. :oops: