Dogomania

Help! Has Ben got a so called "dry eye"??

Crested

First I thought that it's probably just something he got in his eye when it started making kind of mucus looking yellow and sticky stuff. So I just cleaned his eyes with the Pfizer eye drops that I have (made especially for dogs). In a couple days the result was the same so I cleaned again. I continued with this for a while and then I noticed that I had to clean his eyes daily. It seemed to get better for a while but now I have to clean his eyes twice a day.
His eyes get this mucus looking stuff that is yellow and sticky and it covers (on bad days) nearly his entire eye. His other eye is normal so nothing wrong with that one. Only his left eye does this.

F

I guess I have to try and call the vet then and see if I can lend some money from someone. Or ask if she takes Master Card... :-?

But is this dangerous for Ben? What's the worse that can happen? (PLEASE don't think I won't take him to the vet! I'm just asking.)

I thought that if I can't lend any money etc. that I would clean his eyes twice a day and go in the beginning of next month. But is two weeks too long to wait?

I have to say one more thing. I REALLY hope that he hasn't got the dry eye thing, because there are people who have allready suggested that I put him to sleep because he allready has problems with allergies + that he's afraid of other dogs and strange people. :( I'd hate to start hearing that again. I know atleast one person who I KNOW will tell me that she knew she was right so the best thing would be to euthanize Ben before he gets more troubles. (I'm NOT making this up!!) :cry:

And just as clarification: I'm NOT putting Ben to sleep, but I hate to hear that some people think I should. Who doesn't hate the fact that people talk about putting your dog to sleep? :cry:

IF it is conjunctivitis then he will very uncomfortable if it is left :(

When we got Charlie he came with conjunctivitis that had been left untreated and he had huge weepy scabs on both sides of his nose where his dew claws had scratched his skin when he pawed his eyes :(

I know you are a caring owner crested and I can understand if money is tight but he could be in a lot of discomfort hunny :(

Zoey: Money isn't just tight - it's pretty much impossible to get at this point and it makes me crazy. Every single bone in my body tells me to go to the vet NOW but when I look at my bank balance.... :( This is the last thing I needed at this point.

I've kept his eyes in good condition - he doesn't have any scabs on his eyes. Always when I've noticed that his eyes are starting to make the mucus thing I've rinsed his eyes.

Well I'm trying to get him to the vet today because tomorrow I won't have anyone to drive me to vet and neither on thursday. Friday is so and so too. On saturday and sunday it's impossible aswell and the same on monday. So... It would have to go a week forward if I don't get him to the vet today. And because it's soon 6PM my vet has already gone home so now I have to try and get him seen by a vet that's actually working at this time. (guess how much that will cost)

Here is an article on dry eye.
[url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=451[/url]

I have had 2 dogs in my past which had dry eye, a simple test at the vet clinic confirmed it. My vet is great, he said he could sell me expensive eye med's at a small fortune or I could just buy artificial tears at the local pharmacy at a small price :wink: I applied the artificial tears to my dogs eyes about 4 times a day with no problems. They lived for years with dry eye with no further problems occuring. I just bought the human artifical tears and my dogs did great :wink:
Good luck to you, get the articficial tears to insert into ben's eys...and get ben into the vet just to make sure it is indeed dry eye.

Well it looks like it has to wait a week forward. Damn it! :x

I called the vet who said that she didn't have the test slips or time to see him now. So now I have to call the vet at 8 in the morning and try and get him a time for next tuesday. Dad told me that he might have a chanse to get me to the vet on thursday so I have to try and get a time then. This vet that I talked to did say that he has to be checked out to rule out infections etc. and to do the test.

Thanks everyone! I don't know how I will survive this financially, but... I hope it will turn out ok.

I have had enough heart ache from Ben today. When I went out with Ben and Bella, she ran straight in fron of him so that her leash burnt the skin off his chin. So he started bleeding and now he has to wear a collar so he won't scratch it so it will start bleeding again (and when I mean bleeding I mean POURING BLOOD). So now he's got problems with his eyes plus that he has to wear that plastic collar thing on his head. Wow, he's a lucky dog isn't he? :-?