Dogomania

pulling on leash

Baileysmom

majiesmom - Thanks, Bailey did go through training already - she graduated with flying colors....... she is very smart and listens well - even comes when you call her which is rare for a beagle! :lol: except pulling seems to be something regular training just doesnt change with her! :o
I know prong collars are supposed to work real well, but Ive heard a few times that they probably shouldnt be used on this size dog with super short hair....... thats why I was unsure about them.....

DAL - I texted you, but thought Id reply here too since I havent heard back...... monday is great in the morning - I have to pick up kids starting at 2 and then work up in mountlake terrace....... does that work?

sorry everyone - we're jsut setting up a day to meet at the dog park :oops: sorry for kind of hijacking my own post

MajiesMom....

About the Gentle Leader and GSDs.....I have heard that the GLs do not work as well on GSD, collies and the like because of the long, sensitive muzles. Mine refused to wear it after properly getting them used to it. I did everything right, rewarded them for sniffing it, touching it, and when it touched them, and so on.....

I understand what you mean about trying the "About Face" over and over again. Ours was the "Be a Tree". Just stop. Don't pull on the leash, just STOP. Don't even look at the dog until he comes back to you. Then praise and keep going. At the begining with Hunter, it took us 30 minutes to get from the front door to the car one day. But now, we are going to get ready to go into competition obedience.

I myself wouldn't use a prong, but that's me. I'm not saying that they cannot be used correctly, because they can. It just takes a GOOD trainer to show you how. To sum it up (VERY shortly!!) the dog must do the correction. You are not supposed to yank on the leash when you have a prong on. The dog will pull to the end of the leash, find out it's very uncomfortable, then back off. But this will only work as long as it's fitted properly! Again, it takes a good trainer to do this. I have rarely seen a prong that can be pulled off the shelf and just go on any dog. Prongs need to be taken out or added.

Our new neighbors just moved in with a 2 year old Min Pin/Beagle. You wanna talk about a puller!!! This little guy is full of P*** and Vinegar! But he's a cutie....he's a cutie cuz he's not mine!! :wink:

• 2 years later...

I have invented a dog leash that stops dogs from pulling. I call the leash "No Pull No Bull". It works right away and takes the air out of the dogs ballon. The leash is not designed for you to pull back on it, you want your dog to do all the pulling. I tested it for 4 years before making the leashes available to the public.
I am a certified master dog trainer with 38 years of training experience. I also train trainers for Animal Behavior College, and Petco Corp.

Best of luck please let me know if I can help you in any way. I do travel around the USA helping people solve there dog problems.

Sincerely,

Carlos Diaz
[URL="http://www.kcdiaz.com"]www.kcdiaz.com[/URL]