Dogomania

Results of the vet visit

gjones2

So, Joey and I went to the vet yesterday.....he went into his usual "on guard" mode when we got there and growled at the vet when he came in, so the vet said "ok, what are we going to do this time"? I told him that I was somewhat worried about him being sedated each time we came in and mentioned that I was going to try muzzling him before we came in but didn't have time to go get one before the appointment. He said that just muzzling Joey would not be enough b/c they would still have to "manhandle" him and couldn't inspect his mouth and teeth. So, we ended up sedating him again, and the vet was so shocked at how nice Joey became once he was sedated (wagging his tail, licking them, etc.) and I was like that's how he always is, i've told you this!!! :-? Then he suggested that I put him on an anti-anxiety medicine. He said that since Joey has growled and snapped at me in certain situations (like taking a bone away from him) he could attack and kill a small child at any moment. :o So.....I am taking him to see a behaviorist (the vet recommended one) Hopefully this will solve his situational aggression. Also, he got vaccinations yesterday....is it normal for him to have a swollen sore spot on his back/side? Is that where they put the shots in? He is growling and snapping at anyone who accidently touches it. I am pretty worried about it, but I'm guessing it's from the shots. Anyway, sorry this has been so lengthy. Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi there if the vaccination was given in the rump incorrectly then there could well be a swollen depot of air. Keep massaging the skin between thumb and finger and it should disperse. If it doesn't disperse within a few days then take your dog back to the vets or especially if he isn't eating, as this could indicate an alergic reaction to a component in the vaccine.

With regards to Joey's behaviour it sounds as if he has some slight dominance issues. Does he only growl when he is in possession of a bone/toy? Has he ever snapped at you with no cause? A good behaviourist is hard to get and usually most things you can work on yourself with a little guidance. If he is known to be slightly aggressive or unpredictable however , be a resposnible dog owner and keep him on a lead when he is out and don't allow strangers to pet him. This is one way that you can help the pair of you to avoid an accident.

[quote]He said that since Joey has growled and snapped at me in certain situations (like taking a bone away from him) he could attack and kill a small child at any moment. So.....I am taking him to see a behaviorist (the vet recommended one) Hopefully this will solve his situational aggression.[/quote]
That is a good idea to set up an appointment with an animal behaviorist.

I found what worked well for my Rottie when we went through aggression issues was to gain her trust through positive training. Alot of times we end up with dogs which do not trust us due to incorrect training or forceful training. For object guarding what I found worked great was teaching "off" and "take it", this teaches the dog that every thing belongs to you the owner and you control the objects...but, also it shows the dog that you are not a greedy owner and you are willing to share :wink:
When I taught "off" or some people use the command "drop it" I used a treat my dog loves and held it in the palm of my hand, I held my palm open and told Athena "off" when she lunged for the treat I closed my fist over the treat...I kept repeating this until she gave up and looked away. I then opened my hand and said "take it" I repeated this over and over until she had it. Next step once she understood "off" I approached her as she was chewing on a raw meaty bone (her favoritie) I came over with a treat, told her off, took the bone away...gave her a treat then offered the bone back by saying take it. With Athena she trusts me and the other dogs whenever she has a raw meaty bone, I can give all 6 of my dogs bones together and they will all lay down next to each other and chew away with no object guarding any longer. I have taught them trust.
I strongly suggest implementing the NIFIL policy ASAP if you havent already started this in your house hold. A good behaviorist who practices positive training can help you to earn your dogs trust and form a healthy relationship :wink:
One last thing, when I first rescued my stray Dobie mix Beau, the vets nor I could get near his feet, ears...well, we just couldn't do an exam etc as he was freakish and didn't want to be touched. He actually lunged and snapped at the vet and the vet techs couldn't work with him either. I worked with Beau and used all positive training and desensitizing tactics....he is now great with the vets and techs. It only took us 2 months to bring him around. :wink: by gaining his trust and laying down a few simple rules he is a confident dog now who trusts me to the limits.