Dogomania

Now Perry AND Simon are hospitalized!

Horsefeathers!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQAAAIYfVzyPoHbo*VO*k6YkVsjsui1KYGfqoPb3PGet0mEYsc71EksSfApXuugKjHdt1Ms4!cD27pQV8nrn8Vh1Jhp2wswyWX0yeLo5t9d9eOaYgyyxKZz4x4bs7X9inMY8rVtfq!D6vFgssAQgqA/crying%20girl.gif?dc=4675436072349453090[/img]

Perry has hemorrhagic enteritis(?) and Simon has... well, diarrhea and vomiting, but is not bleeding like Perry was. A thorough search of the yard has turned up nothing out of the ordinary. We just cannot, for the life of us, figure out what is making these dogs sick. Rocco seems to be improving, but Perry is spending another night at the vet clinic and Simon is staying there tonight as well.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XQDdAtwdpp8aL9hNK8RP64ui!zjH56mA!dqQQVcp7lq495ZgCn7iCositkqzDUQ5Qnl9YWC3Noq!e1FBp3Wnj*ex2ttgi2L28RCAmjGTMlqtZCW810NITcWo81FAyeILJCwBYudewp4/give%20up.gif?dc=4675483731229224342[/img]

Courtnek, they all get ONLY bottled distilled water. It's been several months since any of them had any tap water.

We do wonder if maybe there might have been something in the standing water left after this last hurricane. If that were so, I would think more dogs would be sick, but who knows? :-?

Scratching my head.

I think that would depend on both whether all the dogs drank the standing water, and the internal immunity of the dogs in question. I asked because I have heard of things like this before, with hurricanes and tornado's.
The water gets tainted somehow. Is there still alot of standing water? You could possibly bottle some of it and take it in for testing for bacteria and such. That's the only common denominator I could think of...

HF you really are having such a bad time of it. *hugs*.

With this hurricane I am guessing that a lot of birds would have been dislodged creating more activity and therefore more droppings. There is a possibility when you had the dogs out that they licked their feet and licked bird droppings from their feet. Now birds are carriers of all sorts of nasty pathogens including e-coli. It sounds as if your doggers could have picked up a coloform infection which is a nasty form of colitis and food poisoning typified by bloody diarrhoea and sever vomitting.

I hope that your vet gets the infections under control and that your doggers are feeling more at themselves really soon. :wink:

Thanks so much, everyone. Kat, your theory makes more sense than anything we've been able to come up with.

Here's my longwinded update before I go and slash my wrists...

It's pretty much an epidemic. Perry came home today from the clinic. He hadn't blown out all day and his appetite is back with a vengeance, though we aren't overloading his system. Perry is bouncing around like a new dog. The vet sent him home today in hopes that Perry would have a normal stool. He's been walked and walked and walked at the clinic today and never pooped (no diarrhea which should be a GOOD thing, right?). He wasn't home 30 minutes when he had another attack of diarrhea. As long as he acts like he's feeling ok, we'll just wait and take him back tomorrow and see what the vet says. Perry is still on antibiotics (as well as Rocco and Simon).

Simon is still at the clinic. The vet wanted to keep him one more night for observation. He seems to be feeling better, but Doc wants to see if the food we fed him earlier will stay down and if it doesn't, he wants to be able to have a look at what comes back up/out (mmm, the glamour of vet work).

Several of my other dogs now have diarrhea. No one else is puking yet that we've seen, but we definitely have an epidemic of some sort.

Doc said it's definitely bacterial since "it" seems to respond to antibiotics. If this continues through the weekend, or we get new cases, he's going to send a fecal sample off to the lab Monday for a culture to see if we're dealing with something like salmonella. I don't know what to do. There is no way to isolate the sick dogs' potty area from the others and there's no way to effectively scoop up diarrhea. Even if we identify a pathogen, I have no clue how to "fix" it. I mean, won't it still be in the yard? I know of no way to effectively sanitize grass and sand.

In addition to this, we are facing the potential threat of hurricane Ivan and having to think of what in the world to do with all these sick dogs and wonder if the last hurricane is what washed whatever "it" is up in our yard.

We are exhausted. I appreciate the good thoughts. I hate to seem like a hit and run poster and will try to catch up on all the other posts soon. I just wanted to update before pulling out every stitch of hair on my head.

Well, sh*t. In the time it took me to type "no one else is puking," Devin just barfed on my couch.

HF, do you know if there was any runover of sewage nearby where you are? When our area flooded last fall, we had a lot of oil and sewage in the water from the pumping station and people's oil tanks floating out or breaking open and leaking. Even in areas that hadn't been under the water, you could see a slick of oil over the grass, and it took several good rains to get it out, so it seems that it worked its way through the soil. Just wondering if that couldn't be what happened to your guys. As far as disinfecting your yard, dunno, maybe get one of those weed sprayers you hook to your house (the ones that hold just solution, and when the hose is on, the solution is squirted out with the water) and fill it with bleach, then use the hose to water down the yard after each trip outside?

Goo, we've been wondering if maybe the hurricane passing through might have washed up some kind of sewage. It's definitely something to think about. We haven't seen any evidence of it, but it would be hard to tell just by looking. I'm sure it's possible

I initially thought that hosing down the yard with bleach solution would be useless since the ground is absorbent and whatever is in it can wash back to the surface, but I'm just about to the point of saying screw it. I have one of the bottles you're talking about and I think I'm going to bleach the h*ll out of our yard. At this point, I'm willing to try anything from bleaching the yard to exorcism.

Thanks. I think I'm going to do the bleaching thing.

Oh geese! I'm glad to hear that Perry and Simon are doing somewhat better! OK, but now I'm confused. If you (or someone else) could go through the list of all of your dogs and if they are sick or not, that would help me. So far (I think) Perry, Simon, and Rocco are sick, right? How many dogs do you have? If you don't have time don't worry about it, I know you have alot on your plate right now. Prayers for healthy doggies and Hurricane Ivan coming your way :angel:

ESS, I have 10 dogs.
2 Standard Poodles (Perry & Pauly)
1 Toy Poodle (Peanut)
3 Lhasa Apsos (Devin, Missy & Fred)
1 Black Lab (Tucker)
1 Schnauzer (Simon)
1 Chihuahua (Chico)
1 Doberman Pinscher (Rocco)

Rocco was sick first, then Perry, then Simon. The others who are showing symptoms are Devin (puking), Tucker (diarrhea) and Peanut (diarrhea). Don't know about the rest yet.

I know this much... I've never been so glad in all my life to see a normal turd as I was when Pauly went outside earlier. :oops: