Dogomania

Anticipating more troubles at the vet....Help!

gjones2

Ok, I'm sure everyone remembers my dog Joey who has troubles going to the vet. He freaks out and becomes very aggressive towards the vet and assistants. I was considering changing vets, but I decided not to b/c I am a college student and will graduate and move again in May and will have to find another vet then anyway. Today he has to go in for shots, heartworm check, etc. and I am pretty worried about it, especially since last time I was there they warned me that he was extremely aggressive and could hurt children. ( He was trying to bite them even when sedated).
Does anyone know what the "rules" are about aggressive dogs at the vet? (i.e., if they agree to treat him knowing he's aggressive then I won't be held responsible if he bites?) I am definitely planning on taking everyones' suggestions about staying calm and cheerful during the visit, and I'm bringing treats to try to keep him happy. Also, it has been a very long time since he has shown aggression other than at the vet....usually he is sweet to everyone. (Of course, they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that) I was thinking that today, I might ask them to come out to the waiting room and get him instead of me going back to the treatment room with him because I know he is extremely protective of me and that is part of the problem. Another thing worth mentioning is that when I was home in AL, I took him to my parents' vet and he was fine...no reports of him being bad! But that time I just dropped him off and picked him up later.....What do y'all think?

:oops:

My dog has the same problems at the vet. He actually LOVES the vet and her assistants, but he was abused as a pup and can't stand to be restrained. They found that just muzzling him when they take him in the back for a procedure they don't have to sedate him.

My dog is weird in that he's not [i]really[/i] trying to bite them, he just gets mouthy when he feels trapped.

It's very embarassing - I feel your pain!

I'd definately try a different vet if your dog was fine with one other than your regular. If you do have to take him to the same one, I'd suggest to muzzle him beforehand to avoid any problems. Also, I've had some success with Bach's Stress Remedy (natural flower extracts - can find it at health food stores).

Good luck!!
:Dog_run:

before you muzzle him, give him a treat, make him sit, etc, tell him he's a great dog, then muzzle him and tell him again he's a great dog. you dont want him to associate the muzzle with going to the vet. also, let them take him in. Muzzled he cant hurt anyone, and he will feel no need to protect you then.

Good luck!!

Also alot of your emotions can travel down the leash to your dog. Try to keep in a happy relaxed mood on your way in. Its amazing how much tension our dogs can pick up from us their guardians in life. This is one of the many reasons you never have to teach a dog to be a guard dog, they can pick up on our fears and emotions and smell our sweat. Kinda gross, but, I have a sweet lovable dog who just loves every one she meets. One night I was walking alone and had a man approach from behind me. I was scared and broke out into a sweat, my little dog went on guard and looked at that man in a very tense manner with a low throaty growl. She was letting him know that she was onto him :lol: even though I am sure he meant us no harm.

When you find a vet you like, and a staff who makes you feel comfortable. Your visits can be much more relaxed and perhaps your dogs tension will ease up a bit. :wink: