Dogomania

Vicious labradors?

Seijun

My neighbor has the most horrid black lab I have ever seen, extremely territorialy and dominantly aggressive. He has tried to start fights with my dog and he has threatened to attack me on my own land (which is a full 3 miles from his house)!! Everyone who goes by that house carries a huge stick because once this dog DID attack a jogger and he had to shove a branch down the dog's throat to get it off of him. Despite this, the owners STILL let the dog run around free. I used to think this was an isolated event because labs are supposed to be one of the sweetest natured dog breeds around, but lately I have been hearing that more and more aggressive labs are currently being produced. One person claimed that one third of the labs coming into her vet office were horribly aggressive. Is it true that the number of dangerously aggressive labradors has been increasing?

~Seij

Since I started working with dogs I've noticed aggressive Labs which was kind of surprising. The same thing is happening with them as what happened with German Shepherds, they're ruining a very nice breed.
One of my favorite Labs that comes to my kennel was PTS because he bit the wife. It sounded like it was something that he had done before and this was the last straw.
I find the Golden Retrievers to be very nervous, shy, skittish and fear bitters. There's a lot of dog aggressive Labs but I haven't really seen a skittish fear bitter LAb.

I am shocked to come across you post - I was seriously bitten by a female black lab that I had known for years before the incident. Like you, I was under the impression that all (or most) Labs were non-aggressive.

It is possible that people may be seeing more temperment problems with Labradors since they are a very popular breed. As popular dogs, many are being bred by people who might not be the most conscientious about genetics.

In my specific case it seems the dog was not mentally stable due to inbreeding and she was IN HEAT (duh!! stupid owner...). She attacked me as I was walking away from her. A few months later she jumped out of a moving truck and died. She was a normal, intelligent, sweet dog during the first few years of her life, something just "snapped" when she was about 3 years old.

I have a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix, so I am accutely aware of the "one bad apple spoils the bunch" theory about breeds, so I'm very cautious of thinking that Labs are all going to turn vicious.

I would definately see what you can do about this particular dog in order to protect yourself, even if it means calling the police or animal control to knock some sense in to the owner.

Good luck!

I definitely was seeing more and more labs (especially blacks) showing dominant aggression when I was doing behavioural consultations in N.Ireland. Then just on Friday when I had Meg down at the park we were charged by a black lab bitch who I posted about in another thread. They are such a popular breed still and unfortunately are being overbred which is leading to changes in their social behaviour.

This is a nice and surprising post. I thought it was only me who didn't think ALL labs were just the perfect dog. Over population and poor breeding makes bad dogs. I also noticed so many aggressive dogs and an increase in bites and attacks, and too have noticed most are black labs (weird). Last year a boy was badly attacked by a black lab and the news reported it as a pit bull!!! :evil:

I want to chime in here, I too have seen temperament issues cropping up in Labs, so many pet buyers want a Lab, therefore so many people just throw two Labs together so they can sell puppies. I am also seeing some freakin HUGE Labs, very tall and rangy. There are two that I have seen where I practice agility, both are as tall or taller than my Jesse who is just under 27 inches at the shoulder. Both are yellow, both have issues. One of them tried to nail Candy, he snarled and lunged at her. Luckily his owner was plugged in and quickly corrected him. The other, also a male, also yellow, has been diligently worked with by his owner to correct his anti social tendancies. She has made HUGE strides with him by working tirelessly to keep his focus on her and by preventing ANY interaction with other dogs for a time. She has progessed to allowing certain interactions with known calm dogs under strict supervision. I once briefly worked this Lab on the agility course to demonstrate a handling move to his owner, the dog was eager and biddable to me. Of course I had food!
As far as I know, both of these dogs have only shown aggression to other dogs, not people.
There is another Lab I have run across at the dog park, he is not aggressive just untrained. He will lunge at and onto people to snatch a ball or toy out of your hand. Once he gets the ball, he works on destroying it. He pulled this on me once, I grabbed his collar to get the ball back and accidentally pinched his skin in the process. He cried, his owner said DON'T HURT HIM. I apologized as I had not meant to hurt the dog but was gratified to hear another person say 'maybe your dog will think twice about lunging at people next time'.

In a way I'm actually glad to see this thread because this is an issue I've been seeing for several years now. Labs are honestly one of my least favorite breeds of dogs, and their popularity is the major reason why.

There are several reasons for seeing more aggresive Labs, one being due to careless breeding as stated before. Also, Labs as a breed easily outnumber any other breed of dog. When looking at that statistically, it increases the probablity of Labs finding their way into the homes of irresponsible/ignorant breeders and owners who won't do anything to prevent aggression problems. Simply put, the more Labs there are, the more aggression problems you'll hear about.

Labrador Retreivers are a breed that's in the process of being 'Americanized', even though it's been long in the process. How many of the rest of you have heard the term 'English Labs' in the last couple years? Unfortunatley, Americans have a history of screwing up dog breeds for no apparant reason, just look at Irish Stteres for a prime example. Other examples being the Cocker Spaniel, German Shepherd, Border Collie, Pit Bull, and the Chihauha just to name a few others. The 'American' Lab is alot bigger, long-legged, hyperactive, and yes more aggresive than it's 'English' counterpart (which is what a Labrador Retreiver IS, not just some variety). The origional purpose of the breed is being bred right out of them, I'd like to see someone pull a 90 pound Lab out of the water and into their boat whil duck hunting, or see that same 90 pound dog with the figure of a Great Dane go trudging through deep mud. Many of these diluted Labs will even come with AKC registration, and for all I know they're also winning points in shows just because some judge thinks that they should. Left unchecked the Americans could take Labrador Retreivers down the road that Field Spaniels once took.

Yeah, well I just wanted to give my two cents, but I guess I kinda went off. It's a pet peeve I suppose, oh well.

Actually, having worked on anti-BSL campaigns and such, I am not all that shocked at all....Labs are in the top 10 of the CDC's list of Dog "bites" requireing medical attention. GOlden retrievers are in there too I believe also the top 10. WHether that has more to do with how many of them there are or not is a question, but they are right up there...Labs, being large dogs with relatively large jaw structures and muscular function in the head are capable of a lot more damage than people think mostly....Anatomically at least they are very capable dogs, and especially now, should be treated as such in my opinion...THere are no "safe" dogs...Only "safe owners"

By the way Leslie..A Pharoa/Pit BUll mix??? That is the most interesting cross I think I have ever seen...Beautiful dog too!!

• 4 weeks later...

I can honestly say if it weren't for labs I wouldn't be able to train dogs for a living. I am coming across so many labs with major behavioral issues it astounds me. I always ask people where they got their dogs from and I have found that many of these dogs are coming from field dog lines or back yard breeders. I have also noticed that many of them are scrawny (particularly in bone) and lanky in build which is not at all what the breed standard calls for.

I think it is really sad because of their popularity it's nearly impossible (at least in my area) to find a good lab. So many of these clients just wanted a good family pet and "knew" that labs were great family dogs. They ended up with neurotic, hyper active, aggressive dogs many times. I've gotten to the point that I am surprised when I see a lab the way the breed was intended. :(

It's such a shame, really. So many people are shucking out big bucks for Labs from unscrupulous breeders. I found the perfect Lab at the pound. Beautiful temperament, certified therapy dog and for $65 which included his neuter, up to date vacs, and heartworm test. People just don't know where to look to find a good thing.

Meanwhile, some folks I know near me are breeding these horrid, ugly, nervous Labs every time one goes into heat. Horrible temperaments and I didn't know white chest blazes were part of the breed standard. Because of them and people like them, our area is becoming saturated with ill bred, vile tempered Labs.

With Labs being a dime a dozen, I don't know why people don't check the shelters instead of buying them at the flea market (quite common here). When I adopted mine, there were plenty more there just like him. I just don't get it.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were growing up our parents got a lab pup from the pound. There were 2 pups there that had come to the pound after there mother was left locked in a shed with puppies, once the r.s.p.c.a found them the mother was near death (had to be put to sleep) and pups not great.
We brought Toby into our home and he was great with the family, outside of this he was nervous, aggressive and we were fearful that he would bite someone. As he matured he got worse and was also jumping a six foot fence to escape, my mum was always worried when he was out and after he almost bit a child (put his mouth over her head but didnt actually bite) Mum took him in to be put down. Once in the vets the vet nurse came out and said "whats this beautiful boy here for? shots?" Mum repiled no I have brought him in to have him put to sleep. The woman went off and said how could you bring such a beautiful dog in to be put down I'll leave you to think about that. Mum sat there in tears as he was great with the family and it was a very difficult dicission. But he could not be trused with strangers, the lady came back and took him away as she led him through the door he got really aggressive started snarling and growling a pee-ed all over the place. Afterwards she came out a apologised to my mum and said "I DIDN'T THINK LABS COULD BE LIKE THAT".
Now I am going back around 20 years ago, SO YES LABS CAN BE AGGRESSIVE.
No dog no matter how much you think you can trust them should ever be unsupervised around children.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, its such a shame what they're doing to this wonderful breed! My friend has a Lab and he is the sweetest thing ever, although if you do try to take his rawhide from him he WILL growl. But, other than that he is such an angel!

The people next door to my friend fell so in love with their dog (Valentino) that they went and got a Lab puppy, too. Thing is, they didn't expect their girl (Lily) to be so hyper. Well, duuh, she is a puppy! :roll: Anyway, they are good owners but Lily is such a hyper girl and she THRIVES for attention. Whenever we're passing she'll come running up to the gate and whimper and whine. Its so sad.

Just an example of ignorant owners, and ignorant breeders who'll gladly give their puppies to people so obviously ignorant. :-?

Rowie-the-Pooh wrote

[quote]The people next door to my friend fell so in love with their dog (Valentino) that they went and got a Lab puppy, too. Thing is, they didn't expect their girl (Lily) to be so hyper. Well, duuh, she is a puppy! [/quote]

I think the thing about Labs is people see them as guide dogs, customs dogs etc and think "I want a dog like that". Labs are intelligent and there fore are bored more easily.(not saying other dogs arn't intelligent) A common saying is that they stay pups for about 5 years. As with all dogs training is recommened, and for people to realise that a lot of time and training goes into making a "guide dog".
:roll: They arn't just born like that. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Labs are a thorn in my side. Two labs viciously attacked my assistance dog a couple of years ago. In the end she had to be retired from duty, the attack made her terrified of all dogs, she even came to shy from people who carry the odor of dogs. After all the hard work & training that was given to her she just wasn

I agree with everything that has been said here. I would like to add that even without the bad breeding problems this breed has been misrepresented to begin with as a "family dog" (yeah, they are the perfect family dog ... when they are 6 or 7 and retired from a career of hunting / working as they were bred to do!)

My friend got a black lab puppy because he thought they were the ideal family dog ... I had an uneasy feeling at the time but didn't really know any facts and didn't say anything ... well I think he actually lucked out because there's no viciousness, but it sure wasn't what he expected ... this girl is still extremely hyper in her 4th year and requires miles of walking every day. At least my friend sees the silver lining ... it has been a great exercise program for him!

Now my neighbor has a gorgeous yellow lab ... not sure of her breeding but she has been given extensive obedience nd field training and, as my neighbor hunts she actually gets to do the job she was bred for ... what a beautiful, well mannered and happy lab she is!

Well I have a Lab/Rott and I've got to say she's the nicest, most passive, loving, dog. She is a little hyper right now when she meets people, that tail and hynie wag and wiggle a million miles a minute !!! But she's only 2 1/2yr. so at least she's glad to see everyone..........
She's the sweetest thing on 4 legs....... :wink:

[quote name='Debbie']Well I have a Lab/Rott and I've got to say she's the nicest, most passive, loving, dog. She is a little hyper right now when she meets people, that tail and hynie wag and wiggle a million miles a minute !!! But she's only 2 1/2yr. so at least she's glad to see everyone..........
She's the sweetest thing on 4 legs....... :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, well I'm totally against breeding mixes intentionally, they sure can be sweet and healthy dogs compared to many "purebreds".

My Lab is almost eight years old and he still plays like a puppy, but he's the best dog we could ask for. When we first got him from the shelter, he was a hyper young thing (est. to be about a year old) and crazy on a leash. He went from that to being a certified therapy dog and is now the most pleasant, obedient dog I know. I SO love my Tucker Lab.

He's our first Lab, so I don't know if we got lucky or what, but it just amazes me that people shell out so much money for ill bred Labs when they're a dime a dozen in the shelters and you can pick one that you can kinda sorta have an idea of its temperament rather than plunk down money for a cute puppy of questionable breeding (howzat for a run on sentence? :oops: ).

[quote name='desertlady'][quote name='Debbie']Well I have a Lab/Rott and I've got to say she's the nicest, most passive, loving, dog. She is a little hyper right now when she meets people, that tail and hynie wag and wiggle a million miles a minute !!! But she's only 2 1/2yr. so at least she's glad to see everyone..........
She's the sweetest thing on 4 legs....... :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, well I'm totally against breeding mixes intentionally, they sure can be sweet and healthy dogs compared to many "purebreds".[/quote]

OH, be sure this wasn't an "on purpose" breeding..........the woman I got her from has 2 Rotties and supposedly she was bred only by the male.
Well obviously, a Lab got to her somehow, cause everyone of the 11 pups were PURE BLACK !!!!! :oops:
I'm against mixed breeding too on purpose........ :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I have 6 Labs. A black female, a black male, 2 yellow females, a yellow male and a chocolate male. They are all the most loving dogs but only with us and my daughters best friend. I grew up with Labs and when we bought our oldest black male(4yrs.old now), he was the sweetest puppy but we never took him anywhere or had him around other people. We basically didn't socialize him. So, when he was around 6mths old, he started barking at anyone that came to our house. Our other Labs are the same way, they just don't like anyone else. They were perfectly fine as puppies but as they got older they turned. I believe that if they're not continuely socialized and trained from a young age, as with any other bred, that's what happens. Of course I'm sure, that also, there can be bad genes too.
When I was young growing up with my others Labs, there was always someone new around, playing with them, they would follow us to school, grandmas, etc. rode in the car everywhere with us.
The reason our Labs never get around anyone, really is because we aren't around anyone. My husbands disabled, my son has cerebral palsey and I homeschool my daughter. So it's really difficult, if not impossible sometimes, to get out of the house, except for Doc. appointments and groceries. If I would have been smarter, taken the time and really thought about it, I would have, at least, tried to socialized them more.
No problems at home though. They're really gentle with my son and everyone else in the home and they get along great with each other, though I'm not sure about other dogs or animals. They were really curious about our cat, we had for 8 yrs. but he was killed by a car last Oct.30th, 2003.

If at all possible, try to check with owners of previous litters from where you're considering buying your pup, or go to your local pound or animal shelter. But don't forget, early and continued socialization with a variety of people, places, things and other animals...can, I believe, make a difference.

I don't know if I truly ever would have anything other than a lab. Jake is about 1 1/2, still very hyper, but the sweetest dog. Same with Daisy who just had a birthday and is now a BIG 5!!

I'll have to agree and say it must be bad breeding and, I don't really think you can judge an entire breed by a few dogs. There are always circumstances we may not know which causes the dog to be aggressive.

I think this thread is starting to sound like what a lot of uneduated people say about pit bulls. :-?

[quote]Labs are a thorn in my side. Two labs viciously attacked my assistance dog a couple of years ago[/quote]

This could easily be a statement someone would make about pit bulls

[quote]Shoot, I've always been more nervous around labs, than other dogs. [/quote]

People say things like this about pit bulls all the time.

Why breed bash at all? Obviously any breed of dog can be aggressive. There isn't any breed that doesn't have it's bad representatives.

How about the millions of labs in this country who do not bite people? There are a ton of labs here and believe me they are not all unpredictably attacking everything that moves. :roll: Generally, they do make very good family pets, as do many many other breeds of dogs.