FINALLY!! ProHeart 6 is off the market!

TDG

great news!!!! :) :B-fly: :B-fly:

FDA Talk Paper

T04-37
September 3, 2004

Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

[b]Fort Dodge to Comply with FDA's Request to Recall ProHeart 6 Injectable Heartworm Product from the Market Due to Serious Health Concerns[/b]

Fort Dodge Animal Health, of Overland Park, Kansas, at FDA's request, has agreed to immediately cease production and recall its heartworm medication ProHeart

I posted this on another board that I visit and got FLAMED by a vet tech who said it was a ridiculous claim and [i]her[/i] office has never heard anything about there being a problem with Proheart....and it comes highly recommended by them, and yada yada yada....and then a cpl of dog owners/ Proheart users chimed in and agreed with her :o . One even said he would "[i]continue to use Proheart[/i]" for his dog. I was like, well....that may be difficult seeing as its been [i]RECALLED[/i] :roll: . lol...I'm not very popular on that board :wink:

i'm not going to sign up on a forum with that many ignorant people just to make a point that's proven already, but if anyone who is already registered there wants to make a point, here are some hard numbers, comparing different heartworm preventives and how many recations and deaths they have caused over a certain time span.

[url]http://dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/comparison2.html[/url]

note how long PH6 was on the market and how many animals it has killed vs. how long other products have been out.

I was the one who got to break the news to my vet today (as I was hoping). He was sure I was misunderstanding something. :P

We may not have to wonder too long about how many dogs were affected. One very upset owner showed up at the clinic today after seeing/hearing about the ProHeart recall. Apparently, this dog recently died after having some similar symptoms as reported (wherever he saw it) from PH6. This guy is scheduled to meet with the vet tomorrow. Since the vet didn't even know there was a recall before I told him, I have no clue how much he's tried to find out and I can't imagine what he's going to say to this owner. I'm sure this owner is only the first of many more to come forward.

Still, the vet is sure that PH6 isn't the problem. He said the dog was having problems (seizures maybe?) prior to the shot. I'm thinking maybe a dog with problems especially shouldn't have had the shot, but the reps push it so strongly and dismiss complaints as being unfounded.

The vet's wife and one tech were outraged and called the whole thing stupid since "we" have never had a problem (how do they know?).

I love my vet, but sometimes I believe he relies too heavily on what the reps tell him. He kind of dismissed my complaint of Advantix causing a rash on not one, but TWO of my dogs since the rep told him she'd never heard of a complaint. I wish he didn't trust these reps implicitly. He's so cynical about everything else. :-?

My best friend's dog died about 12 hours after receiving a PH6 shot over a year ago. At the time, we never even realized PH6 could have been the cause since the vet thought the dog had been poisoned. I'm sure now the dog WAS poisoned, but PH6 was the poison. :(