Dogomania

Designer Dogs??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone here ever buy a 'designer dog'? There is actually a place that registeres some of these dogs. I think it's at [url]http://scbca.tripod.com[/url] (not sure if thats exact or not). Just curious.

I know alot of people have gripes with the practice, but some of them make for some really cute dogs. And now that they can be registered, you can know their pedigree........(well...if you're as picky as me...lol).

Um.. Yeah.. I'm one of those ones with "Gripes with the practice".

Those breeds are completely unreliable. You never see a constant, stable breed type in their offspring because they're so new. They don't have a STANDARD because there is no standard in existance wide enough to fit all those mutts.

By the way, I adore mutts, but I will NOT BUY A MUTT. If you want a golden retriever mix, go to a pound. There's tons of them there, even puppies. IN FACT, I saw a litter of AKC registered golden puppies AND their dam in a shelter a few months back, given up because an irresponsible person was not getting money for their pups.

So, my take on all this is: if you want a dog of a certian type, temperament and one that is bred for a certain purpose, and of predictable type, get a purebred. (Rescue, even)
If you want a mixed breed, without the exaggerated traits of purebreds, then don't get a 'designer dog', go to a shelter.

• 1 month later...

You really don't want to get me started on this because I can get on a soap box like you've never seen before. Granted I'm a trainer, breeder, vet tech, foster home and founding member of both breed and mix rescues.....so I obviously don't support intentionally breeding these designer dogs.

But get this....I am currently training a labradoodle (of many in the past). The dog was imported from Austrailia....the dog is very sweet but quite timid. Anyway, I asked the owner about the dog she paid $3000 yes that is correct three thousand dollars for this dog. She told me the dog was a fourth generation labradoodle and came from the originator of "the breed" Granted the dog is very sweet and the owner even sweeter but it just saddens me to think about how many mutts could be rescued for that kind of money.

I actually understand how many owners make the decision to go this route...these breeders claim to be selling the perfect dog...."hypoallergenic, non-shedding, intelligence of a poodle with the good temperament of a lab" this particular lady had the choice of size, training, coat type and color from yellow, to silver, to chalk, to red, to brown, to black....red being the most expensive. But for all of these dogs that I have seen not one of them is even similar in coat color or type, size, look anything. So far all but one of these dogs sheds like crazy. All of them have been from timid to fear biters.

Don't get me wrong I'm no breed snob and I own a mutt in addition to my purebred guys. He's wonderful but how these people sleep at night intentionally breeding these dogs, the majority of the time purely for the money is beyond me. There are far too many mutts dying in shelters everyday....ok I'm on the soap box which I didn't mean to do and I apologize if I have offended someone.

Guest Anonymous

~~There are far too many mutts dying in shelters everyday..~~

Although your post is to be admired you must realize that 25% of shelter dogs are pure breds. Out of a million shelter dogs that means that 250,000 are pure bred dogs. 250,000!!!!!

I think it's safe to say that BOTH pure bred breeders and cross bred breeders are filling up the shelters.

I have no complaints with cross bred, pure bred, or mixed dogs. ANY breeder can be irresponsible - regardless of what they breed and I'm not going to blame the shelter situation on cross bred dog breeders. If someone is paying three grand for a dog - chances are, with an investment like that - it's NOT going to end up in a shelter.

If you take out the dogs that are found abandoned or strayed - I'd bet you have about an equal amount of intentionally bred cross breeds and pure breeds at any given shelter.

I like to keep an open mind to the future of canines - thats how we got all our 'pure breeds' of today anyway.

I was by no means intending to imply that the shelters/rescues/humane societies don't have pure bred dogs, I see them there regularly and see the statistics. It of course comes down to responsible breeding and pet ownership.

I also was not trying to say (sorry if I got on a rant and wasn't explaining myself well....I can get worked up and type slower than my mind is going.) that this woman is going to fill the shelters or even most people who pay substantial money for a dog. The woman I spoke of adores her dog, will do anything for it and has nothing but her dogs best interest in mind. I don't see in the near future that shelters are going to be filled by these designer breeds. My intended point was that there are so many unwanted dogs out there mutts and pure bred alike being euthanized and/or discarded daily. That to intentionally breed a cross in my opinion is irresponsible. That prospective owner may have been just as happy with the 15 lab/pit mixes waiting for homes in the shelter down the road for 65 bucks. (No I'm not saying a lab/pit mix is the same as a labradoodle but the qualities they are seeking may or may not have been found in another mix or pure bred that won't be adopted)

I agree that you have a point about all of our pure bred dogs originating as crosses. But when the majority of them were formed/created we also didn't have the dog overpopulation problem. I'm not saying we should never have new breeds. But the motivation shouldn't be money to fill the demand of a fad. Being a responsible breeder is the key element. To be honest the place that the woman I mentioned got her dog from appeared to be genuinely caring and with good intentions and surprising responsibilities in many other areas. There website was impressive and the puppies come home having been fed the BARF diet. These people genuinely care about their dogs. But the majority I've seen are one neighbors lab with the other neighbors poodle scenario with no regard to those dogs original breed standard, health, temperament etc.

I'm not sure I'm still expressing myself correctly because I'm super tired but hopefully that clarifies what I was trying to say.

Guest Anonymous

You did clarify yourself - and please know that I am not posting in sarcasm or anything - just stating my feelings. Your comment

~~My intended point was that there are so many unwanted dogs out there mutts and pure bred alike being euthanized and/or discarded daily. That to intentionally breed a cross in my opinion is irresponsible.~~

Maybe that last sentence whould have read "That to intentionally breed in my opinion is irresponsible" since it is ALL breeders who contribute.

I completely understand where you are coming from - I really do, and I respect your views, it's just that everyone seems to pick on cross bred dog breeders when ALL breeders help create the problem. I guess I was reading more into your post that I should have.

As far as the original post to this thread - I personally think this registry is great. They put extensive limits on registering a cross breed - and they don't refer to them as a 'breed'. I say - well done!

I have noticed a scary trend. First it started with toy poodle mixes, then it went down to just about every small breed mix you could think of. Now I am beggining to see more and more large breed designer dogs, such as rottidoodles, shepradoodles, and huskydoodles. Are the big dogs next on the list of dogs to be used for designer purposes? I guess the toy breed mixes have fallen out of style.

~Seij

"Maltipoo" ?! Sounds like diarrhea.

Seriously this SCBCA appears to be a front group for making people feel good about doing something unethical. Whether or not to breed EXISTING breeds responsibly is the consideration when we are in such a crisis of pet overpopulation. I say just let the very top most conscientious breeders perpetuate the breeds we already have, but for pete's sake don't go making "new breeds" at this time. I don't know how anyone can call that responsible, those that believe in it are heartless and/or have never set foot in a shelter.

Of course that's just my opinion (but I'm right and if you disagree you're wrong! :evilbat: )

[quote name='StarliteSetters']
Maybe that last sentence whould have read "That to intentionally breed in my opinion is irresponsible" since it is ALL breeders who contribute.[/quote]

Although I respect your opinion and I appreciate that you have been respectful of mine....I do disagree. If we stop all intentional breeding (which would be nearly impossible) we are going to be left with nothing but irresponsible people who allow their dogs to get knocked up. Breeds as we know them would cease to exhist. And of course neither of the scenarios that you or I stated are ever going to be situations that you and I can control. But irresponsible breeding is what needs to stop not intentional breeding of responsible breeders.

I can tell you that the breeders I got my guys from not only made me sign contracts saying that in the event I cannot keep my dog they get them back but the breeder actually calls me every few months to find out how they are doing and that dog is eight years old. One of her "intentionally bred" dogs is never going to end up in the shelter....the woman would die first.

Maybe you are bothered by my statement of calling myself a breeder. And I do consider myself a breeder. I have whelped several litters of other people breedings. And I own some breeding dogs. I have NOT however to date had a litter that I have intentionally bred. I actually own both the son and the daughter of the once ranked #2 Golden Retriever. I intended on breeding with them (not together obviously)....I bought good stock....they met the breed standard,....was going to show....get health clearances etc etc. One came back OFA fair one came back OFA poor. By some peoples standards they still would have bred I personally didn't feel with hips that weren't wonderful that they didn't have enough to contribute to an already overpopulated breed to be bred. My not so humble personal opinion is that if the dog you are breeding isn't going to improve upon the breed or make a contribution to it within the breed standard it shouldn't be bred. They are both spayed and neutered and are loving pets.

I have Scotties as well....(my two breeds) my one girl showed did well is beautiful from top lines....ended up with bladder stones and a movement issue. SPAYED. My other meets the breed standard great temperament, true terrier type. Beat out the #6 Scottie in the breed ring, finished her championship. Is in great health with all her clearances, from great lines and from a not over populated breed (not to exclude all of the other over populated dogs that need homes) and will be bred to the right stud. So if your concern was that I was some backyard breeder or that any of my dogs would ever end up in a shelter they will not and I am not.

You guys mentioned some other doodles out there has anyone seen these huskydoodles, rottidoodles etc. I have personally not. I'd be interested to hear what people say they are like as far as look, temperament and health is concerned.

grrrrrrrrrrrr this gets my goat! Where do these people get off mixing two breeds and charging the price of a nice used car??? or so?? I mean COME ON they are mixed! My purebred litter didnt go for over $350.
Even the Cockapoos that have been around awhile do not sell for that much! What in the world makes these dogs priceless?? If you must have a larger dog that doesnt shed then get a Standard Poodle. Your Goldendoodle or Labradoodle or Aussiedoodle will end up looking like one anyways!
[quote]rottidoodles, shepradoodles, and huskydoodles.[/quote]
no way! are you serious? :roll:

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie'][quote]rottidoodles, shepradoodles, and huskydoodles.[/quote]
no way! are you serious? :roll:[/quote]

Yes, I am serious. Those are just a few. I am pretty sure there were more, some boxer mixes I think and some rottie ones. The huskydoodles/huskypoos just look like Wolfhound/something mixes. You can barely even tell they have husky in them. The Shepradoodle was from GSDxStandard poodle and it looked mostly just like the Standard Poodle. The boxer ones were just ugly.

~Seij

:Dog_run:

Alaskan Klee Kli. I hate to admit that I want one. :lol: I will not pay $1,200 like they have been advertised. I've owned a Siberian Husky, American Eskimos and now a Schipperke. The AKK are a combination of those three plus a Malamute. I think it's insane that people want that much for a mutt. I guess there is a sucker born every minute. I'll wait till one turns up in a shelter.

Paula & Re-Run

[quote name='schippsmom']:Dog_run:

Alaskan Klee Kli. I hate to admit that I want one. :lol: I will not pay $1,200 like they have been advertised. I've owned a Siberian Husky, American Eskimos and now a Schipperke. The AKK are a combination of those three plus a Malamute. I think it's insane that people want that much for a mutt. I guess there is a sucker born every minute. I'll wait till one turns up in a shelter.

Paula & Re-Run[/quote]

Yeah I think theyre cute too :oops: Sad thing is youre right... theyll end up in shelters pretty soon. :roll:

Actually, from what I have been able to dig up, the Klee Kai actually IS a pure bred dog. Unlike other designer dogs, the AKK reproduces with a predictable appearance and behavior, thus making it a pure bred dog. It is NOT a miniature husky though.

~Seij

Guest Anonymous

The reason people pay for a 'mutt' is the same reasons people pay for any pure bred dog - because they know it's pedigree.

You can find a cross breed as well as pure breeds in shelters.....but you don't know their exact pedigree. When you buy one (pure or mixed) it's just something about 'knowing' their actual linage and 'knowing' they are the breed they say they are. For some, it just makes a difference.

We all know there are loopholes to every registry and no one can guarantee you anything, but you have alot higher way of knowing that your dog is really what the breeder says it is when you have a pedigree than you do by going to a shelter and someone 'telling' you 'that is a chocolate lab'. It may look like a chocolate lab - but you always wonder if it is a 'flll blooded' chocolate lab. Somehow the 'papers' to a dog imply a sense of security to most people - and thats why they pay the big bucks.