Dogomania

Knuckle Heads, they are everywhere.

True_Pits

I had a female in heat, this guy didn't know what was "wrong" with her "backend". Of course nothing was wrong with her, she was in heat. So he says you better find a male to breed her with. I said she isn't old enough nor proven, I don't know if I will breed her. He ask how old she is 18 months. He tried to tell me that was old enough and he'd let them go at it as puppies, if they could "do it" they could breed. I just wanted to knock the guy in the head and say WTF is wrong with your mind. But I kept cool. If that isn't bad enough this flake ask does feeding dogs gunpowder make them mean. DUH its slowly killing them, which I and the other breeder there said and tried to explain. He then continues that his step dad used to breed Rotts and fed them gunpowder because he wanted to make them mean. He had to shoot some because they turned on the kids. What did he expect?
People like this shouldn't be allowed to even own dogs, let alone breed dogs. Or breed themselves, people like this don't need kids. If they can't take care of dogs how can they take care of kids and to put their lives in danger like that. REAL SMART people.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl']What do you mean by proven? Please specify...

Are they registered? Show dogs? Pullers?

How many dogs do you have? And how often do you breed?[/quote]

i agree can you answer these questions please?

[quote]What do you mean by proven? Please specify...

Are they registered? Show dogs? Pullers?

How many dogs do you have? And how often do you breed?[/quote]

Actually I could, but I'm not sure I want to because I dont feel like it. I'll probably just leave this forum and go back to the Pit Bull forums I'm usually on and the other pet forum I visit. You really know how to make new people feel welcomed dont you...lol you guys are great people and perfect dog owners, I hope you enjoy judging people and putting them on trial. Everything I post I'm such a bad person in it huh, so damn irresponsible. I'm pretty tired of answering all these silly questions, this is the trial to see if you are a good dog owner huh, and if you are worthy of being on the board. It shouldn't be your concern, the post was about a guy wanting me to breed a dog too young and his step dad feeding the rotts gunpowder. I do see those questions asked a lot online, gunpoweder, how do i make my pits head bigger, chest wider, meaner does gunpowder work, does viniger in the eyes work, how can I attack train my pit bull, can i breed a 9 month old female to 100lbs 12 month old, all these usually I think are trollers but when you get these questions in real life in a serious manner it shocks you back to reality. Well see ya b/c I have to go mess with the dogs some more.

When people ask ?s like that I do usually answer, they are curios and just want to know and discuss. But actually if you haven't noticed in every post I make people are asking ?s like they are interrogating me, I can make a about anything and it simply comes back to me, these same ?s were asked in another post and some of the answers lied in my OP so why would people ask them? And in other post things have been explained but the same statements are made or ?s asked like people dont read what I've said, so posting it AGAIN and AGAIN seems like a waste of time. Dont dogs needs to be reg to be shown, I'd say yes and to win ribbons the dogs must actually be shown, the dog in my avatar didn't get to be shown and place w/o being reg. I've answered some of these ?s in previous boards in a non hostile setting and have been PMed many times about people interested in my dogs, those were people who really seemed to want to know, because they were curious or interested, not because they wanted to look for more reasons to judge some one or say you are bad owner, they didn't make a negative statements in every post I made. Anyway sure I'll post some answers later, in a diff thread.

truepit, try to understand something. Most of us believe in rescue. I personally have no problem with breeding, if the breeder really looks into and follows all the medical necessities to insure the dogs health. Some people are against it at all. I can empathize, there are SO many dogs in shelters that need homes. But breeding will go on, no matter what. In the case of APBT's I DO NOT believe they should be cross bred at all. I truly think the cross-breeding is a big part of the current problem. they dont have the bite inhibition that purebred Pits do. yes, they may be animal aggressive, but in their truly pure form, they are not people aggressive.

If you are truly looking out for the best interests of the breed, then more power to you. But expect some flak (try not to take it too personally) from people who have seen the nasty side of the coin. dogs being put down JUST because they are Pits. Dogs in shelters, with no hope of finding homes. Pits abused, starved, fed gun powder. We here have issues with all of that. Please understand, you will be grilled about some of it, but its not nasty. Its just concern. we hate to see any animal suffer. I understand the chains you use, if the dog can truly pull 1000lbs. no average chain could hold it. I have to ask, is a fence not better? or do yo have to keep them seperated? I know some of them have to be seperated....

Help me, and the others who dont have dogs who can pull 1000 lbs, understand. and welcome to Dogo.

Why are you thinking about breeding your dog? Have you health tested her? How were her hips? Her heart? How is her temperment? Do you show her? Weight pull? What is her registry? Have you looked at the thousands of pit bulls right now on Petfinder? Have you gone to your local shelter & looked into the eyes of the pit bulls that are already on this earth looking for homes? How long have you owned pit bulls? How many do you have?

I'm not being rude, as an APBT owner for many many years I am curious about what makes you think you need to breed. There are too many as it is, my breed is being banned all over the world and I want to know why any one would want to add to the problems we are facing.

Debby

Okay well I didn't mean for it to sound odd? Just telling him, but I don't think he could still comprehend the reasoning of not breeding her until she is old enough, until she is proven, or maybe not breeding her at all. I don't think he knows anything about selective breeding just putting two dogs together probably to make some money.

I can kind of understand people asking ?s to better understand or get a better pic, but sometimes its a little much, so many ?s to answer from different people and some have seemed very rude. I'm not against resccue, I'm actual for it. But breeders are what keeps a breed alive, most rescues or shelter dogs they may be great, but you get a higher quality dog from breeders. If you just want a pet then it may be fine to go to a rescue or shelter, for others they would rather buy from a breeder and have a full history on their dog and security. I've never minded ?s about my dogs, but I've never been asked so many questions at once, not just people curious or making convo. Grilling was the correct word, but I have nothing to prove and if some one doesn't like me breeding, it wont really offend me or upset me at all. There are many who are like this and all for rescue (I have a relative who's one) and totally against breeding.
Now I don't want to be overly sensative and take things personally, but I don't think even if you are for rescue you should have a chip against all breeders, its not very fair. Some people don't understand that without selective breeding, breeds die. There is breed type and a lot of rescues come from bybs and lack this. They probably dont have this in their first thoughts since they focus on rescue. Now if some one is thinking of going to a byb, I always send them to shelters. You have the same chance of getting a good dog their, thats where most shelter dogs come from, but at shelters they come with vaccs, deworming and altered and you are saving a life instead of paying a byb directly and saving $, its cost more from bybs then most shelters and the vet care would be added to that.
You can't believe that breeders don't care about dogs in rescue, there are a lot of breeders who do rescue or help in rescue. I have helped rescue and rehome Pit Bulls (and some pups of other breeds), but that hasn't made me decide breeding is wrong. Some one (I dont know which member it was or the exact quote) even asked how my dogs are more special then all the dogs dying in shelters everyday. Thats sounds like an extreme comment to me. My dogs are special to me because they are mine, but each persons dog is special to them. Dogs being special are no reason to breed them, they're not bred because they are special. I think that all dogs deserve a home and are special in their own ways and to some one, but the dogs in the shelters are usually from backyard breeders or accidental litters, unwanted pets and strays from these types of breeding and are not the same quality. I've owned rescues and mixed breeds, they were special to me, but I know that their parents should have never been allowed to breed and the same goes for most of the other dogs in the shelters. The parents of those dogs most likely should have been spayed or neutered. I loved the ones I had, but they also had some health problems and couple had temperament problems. Breeding is done to better the breed and for its improvement, where bybs ruins a breed and rescuing helps dogs out, but doesn't do much for the future of keeping the breed alive.
[quote]If you are truly looking out for the best interests of the breed, then more power to you. But expect some flak (try not to take it too personally) from people who have seen the nasty side of the coin. dogs being put down JUST because they are Pits. Dogs in shelters, with no hope of finding homes. Pits abused, starved, fed gun powder. We here have issues with all of that. Please understand, you will be grilled about some of it, but its not nasty. Its just concern. we hate to see any animal suffer. I understand the chains you use, if the dog can truly pull 1000lbs. no average chain could hold it. I have to ask, is a fence not better? or do yo have to keep them seperated? I know some of them have to be seperated....

Help me, and the others who dont have dogs who can pull 1000 lbs, understand. and welcome to Dogo.[/quote]
So we have the same issues, thats what this post was about. I know it was Rotts the guy has, but the same thing obviously happens to Pits. And some things go hand in hand, about last month a Rott attacked a man after jumping out of its 6ft kennel. Now this just gave one up to banning not only Rotts but Pits too and possibly chows was also mentioned.
Yes they have to be seperated and I do have a fence and kennel runs. Fences don't work for keeping them in because they are not secure, this is why I use chains they are secure and safe. Dogs jump over fences, dogs will dig under fences, dogs go through chainlink fences and they climb over fences. So to me this isn't being responsible when it takes about 5 mins (or less) for a dog to get out of one. When mine run is in the fenced yard they are supervised and usually I'm playing with them or two dogs are playing together so its not a problem. I did have one think about jumping because she was chasing birds (that were in the sky but she could see them) and bugs and came to the end of the fence and thought she would try to get the butterfly, but I was out there and just called her name out.
[quote]Why are you thinking about breeding your dog? Have you health tested her? How were her hips? Her heart? How is her temperment? Do you show her? Weight pull? What is her registry? Have you looked at the thousands of pit bulls right now on Petfinder? Have you gone to your local shelter & looked into the eyes of the pit bulls that are already on this earth looking for homes? How long have you owned pit bulls? How many do you have?[/quote]
Because I am a breeder of APBTs, thats what I do and that is why I've aquired the dogs that I have. Thats why I've painstakenly went through the trouble of finding the dogs I think will represent the breeds and those that do not, I've put a lot into them and turned around and not bred them. Thats why I spend almost all my free time working with them, thats why I'm always busy. Thats why I have to wake up early and go to bed late, because it takes time to condition them, time to clean the yard, time to feed, check chains, water, it not only takes time to go to shows it takes money and time OFF work where you'd be making money. Everything about dogs takes money and anyone who thinks you make money is just crazy, such as my Aunt who always insist I must make so much money and how good money dogs must be, which is so aggrivating. Everything about them takes money, buying the dog, buying kennels, crates, chains, collars, harness, houses, feed, vaccs, test, illness, all the other supplies and equipment it can get very expensive. Breeding dogs isn't a walk in the park, its very taxing. With all this I do love my dogs and they are worth every minute of it and every dime. This is what I've chosen to do with my dogs. Where others may only have time for pets, or don't want to add to overpoplation by breeding their pet knowing they don't have time to deal with breeding the way it should be done. Others might do agility or fun shows with their pets for the fun of it, but don't have time to breed or an interest in breeding. Thats their choice and its a great one for them. To me the questions just seem kind of funny to ask some one who breeds. Like are they registered-Well yes of course. I do BREED, not that pets are not reg. But a dog being registered is no reason for breeding, just because it has papers doesn't mean its breed quality or a justification to breed it. But yes I breed ADBA/AADR reg conformation and weight pull dogs. Healthtest and hips-Well if you knew enough about breeding and took the time to read my post you'd see that she is only 18 months old and to be cert and have a positve/negative, ect dog must be 2 yrs of age. Her temp-Its crappy thats why I'm going to breed her to get more dogs that are man biters....lol J/K her temp is fine for the moment. She's just very hyper and driven, but thats in her breeding and lineage. Even though she is very hyper,active, loves to work and has a high prey drive, she also has sense. She just had a 4 year old petting her where she just sat down for him, then she rolled over so he could pet her tummy, next second she was up watching a rabbit scurry in the dark, he came back up to her and she completly went back to giving her gentle attention to him. She is only a show dog and she will never weight pull. I haven't visited pet finder in a while, last time was looking at all the poos crosses b/c some one breeding them thought they were rare...lmao I doubt that. There are no Pit Bulls in my local shelter to my knowledge. Although I haven't looked in a couple months, theres probably none. I did go to a really big one (about 1 hr away) and there were several Pits and more Pit mixes. There were also many labs, goldens and cocker spaniels. The sad truth is that not all of them will be able to find homes. There are way too many dogs on earth, I did have a statistic on dogs and now I can't remember it exactly, but I believe that for every dog to have a home every person would need to own 9 dogs. Which would never happen. I have seen all the dogs of many breeds overpopulated in the shelter, most there for no better reason then the owner got tired of taking care of them. One reason why bybs saying family and friends will take dogs really bugs me, most the time their family or friend gets tired of the dog, or their kid wouldn't take care of it like they promised and it ended up in the shelter. But these thousands of dogs in shelters (even though they deserve homes) again, this is not my fault, I feel sorry for ALL DOGS not just Pits in shelters, but I don't feel guilty because I haven't put them there and I've done my fair share of rescuing. Which has nothing to do with it, some breeders dont rescue at all and some buyers only buy from breeders, which I can't blame them for. I would also like to make the point that # of years you own a breed doesn't always count for much. If you're new to a breed then you probably shouldn't be breeding. But I have seen kennels where they may be 5 short years into dogs and they are doing everything right and are very dedicated to their breed and have come a long way in a short time, others I've have seen saying they've had Pits for the last decade and they still don't seem to get it. They never started out right and never work towards doing better, improving their dogs, their kennel, their breeding program. They just have a bunch of dogs that they keep breeding, really for no reason other then making money or self gratification perhaps. I've met people saying they've had Pits their whole lives and I'm like thats great and think you can have a covorsation with them about dogs and they don't know anything about Pit Bulls, its kind of scarey. To think they've been around them their whole life and learned nothing. For me it started as a 5 yr old child, I was taught how to handle, care for and respect bulldogs. Of course when you're a child you don't know much about whats going on or breeding per sae, its more like pups are fun to play with, this dog pulls that fun. Shows interesting and just for fun. Until you grow to understand how things are actually done, then you learn the "rules", ins and outs. But I've still been content with just owning them, including some that were rescues and mixed. Even just doing stuff with them for fun. Until I decided I was where I was at in my life and ready to begin my own breeding program. It still takes time to accomplish, its more then saying "Hey I have this papered female and now I'm just going to breed her because now I'm ready". Its more work and a lot of involvment and still choosing only the best of what you have or what you've decided to buy. I currently own 4 APBTs (1 male, 3 females) and have breeding rights to another. Its my choice and I won't feel guilty for breeding or that I am choosing to do something wrong.

Just to explain - generally when someone here asks why you breed YOUR dog or what is so special about YOUR dog what they are looking for is this:

What about your dog is exceptional?
What special trait(s) are you breeding for?
What fault or weakness in your breed are you working to eliminate?
Do you have some special distinction such as X generations without genetic disorder X plus dogs with excellent temperment and/or X awards for obedience or weightpull or agility or something?

Breeding is needed, although at a great reduced rate than it is currently occuring at, but, as there are so many dogs with so many questions responsible breeders aught to be breeding to better their breed not just continue their breed.