Dogomania

I'm ABUSIVE????

courtnek

well, you all know about Laurel and Free....this happened today.

when I adopted her, I was told she would need running room (which I have, in a large back yard) and other dogs, since they are raised in a pack setting. I have a lab mix as well, they get along good. also two cats, which she loves and plays with (watching a 60 lb. foxhound doing play bows with a 4 lb kitten is a site to see)

anyway, when she needs to run (and "needs" is a fact. they HAVE to run a certain amount every day) I take them both out, and tell her RUN and tell the lab GO GET HER. maybe my choice of words was wrong. The lab then chases the foxhound around the yard, until they're both tired. the lab cant catch her, no dog she's ever run with has been able to. but its a game for both of them. The lab cheats and cuts her off, and the hound leaps over her and keeps running.

anyway, someone was walking past my gate today while we were playing this game. they cant really see in (wooden, six foot, looks out to the street) but they could hear me. they started yelling at me for telling Free to "go get her!" accusing me of using Laurel as a "bait dog". Now, I might have asked about that too, if I overheard it. I explained to them what was happening, and all they kept saying was "we will report you for animal abuse!". I was in tears. I have never abused an animal in my whole life, and wouldnt even consider it. They even came in the yard and saw how well the dogs get along.

I am very upset....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Some people are idiots. :evil: I understand they might THINK they are "crusading for the animals"...but they can't go around making unfounded accusations...especially since you [i]showed[/i] them how "abused" your dogs were :roll: .

Don't give it another thought, Court....YOU know you are a good dog owner. Even if these busybodies carry through with their threats and file a report, any animal control officer with 2 eyes and a brain can tell you take great care of your animals !

heck it could just as easily have been me ....I "sick" my dogs on each other all the time...and don't they look SO abused?? :wink:

Courtnek,
Those busybodies need to find some real abuse to report! It should have been obvious once they saw your dogs up close that there was no abuse going on there!
Geez, I'd be in the slammer quick if they overheard me telling Brittany to kick Candy's arse once and for all! Candy wrestles and bites and plays HARD with Brittany, I encourage Britt to put that little yella dog in her place. I guess I am 'just' as abusive as you huh? :wink:

Yeah, like Free is some kind of fighting dog, NOT :o .
And if that's abuse, then I'm guilty of doing it too, god only knows how many times I've told one of mine to go kick the other one's arse :P . Don't let some well meaning (sort of) idiots decide to ruin your day by being judgemental. If it should happen again, tell them to MYOB and to call the animal control if they're so worried.

Guest Anonymous

:evil: I would just say BITE ME and go on with my day. I'm sorry but if you have done nothing wrong...LET THEM CALL A/C! LET THEM! Then you can turn around and sue the crap out of them for harasment!

Suing people for harrasment really isn't the proper thing to do... The whole encounter is blatantly frivolous and mean spirited that I don't think it even merits a single other thought, courtnek.

I've delt with similar people before and I doubt they'll even report you. And if they do..? Well then Animal Control can come out and visit your dogs and see what a nice home you have, big whoop. That's if they even respond to the call, 'cause if these people are the sort to actually report you then I'd be willing to bet that both the Police and A.C are already quite familiar with them and quite tired of their baseless/ frivolous accusations.

It seems pretty obvious that these aren't dog people, otherwise they'd realize that most everyone who owns dogs will 'sick' them on eachother all the time. Hell "Get Her" is the only game China knows how to play.

[quote]Suing people for harrasment really isn't the proper thing to do... The whole encounter is blatantly frivolous and mean spirited that I don't think it even merits a single other thought, courtnek.
[/quote]

thanks everyone. I agree. I really have nothing to hide (although the AC around here are a pain. I'd rather not deal with them) but when I posted, I was so UPSET. My main thought was "how could ANYONE think I abuse my dogs?" I was upset, angry, righteous...hopping mad and sad at the same time. mad, because I was being falsely accused. and sad, because someone thought I could be abusive. when I stepped away I realized these
people didnt know me from Adam. maybe they thought they were doing the right thing. no one from AC has shown up, so it;s probably a moot point. thanks for all the positive responses. I guess I just needed to hear from people I trust and respect that I am not "bad"..

:D :D :drinking:

Well at least those people were concerned about doggy welfare and were willing to do something about it. And as you have nothing to worry from AC, try not to fret over it.

I've been waiting for someone to take issue with Kavik and Zaphod's outdoor game. Zaphod does not fetch outside and would really like to play with Zaphod, when Kavik goes outside he only wants to fetch and ignores Zaphod. So Kavik fetches and Zaphod barks, chases, checks and chews on Kavik's neck. They both have fun and get excercise but only if I allow Kavik a chance to get the kong before Zaphod starts after him sooo . . . I usually leash Zaphod and have him sitstay till Kavik has touched the tossed kong and then I tell him "ok, go get him" and release and Zaphod tears after him full speed (very shutzhundesqe APPEARING) then there is the event on the way back - it looks alot like doggy football. They have actual tactics and dodge etc its cool but may APPEAR like I'm training Zaphod to attack Kavik. What are you going to do though?

Some times nosey neighbors are good, and some times they are just annoying.
I know its a blow to the ego when you are accused of some thing that you would never dream of doing (in this case abuse). As every one else already told you, just ignore it and let it slide off your back. Heck, I have about 2 acres fenced off for my dogs and when I take them out they stick to me like glue...this doesnt stop people from calling me and telling me that one of my dogs is running at large in the neighborhood :roll: people know I have alot of dogs, so, when ever they see a dog loose they "assume" its one of my dogs :-? none of my dogs has ever been loose unsupervised...and in my yard they would have to scale a 7ft fence :lol:

In defense of "some" nosey neighbors, I would never have gotten my little Rottie Athena if it werent for a nosey concerned neighbor. We also have gotten quite a few animals confiscated by the SPCA (dropped off at the vet clinic I work at) which were due to nosey neighbors calling to have the SPCA check out living conditions of some neighbors. Last week the SPCA dropped off 2 hedgehogs, a few rabbits, 10 cats, and 4 puppies from a girl who was keeping them in her apartment. The animals were half starved and malnourished, the puppies had actually eaten broken glass which was lying around the apartment. One of the puppies died, we were able to save the other 3.

Hmm.. think about it this way.. You're walking along and someone you do not know is yelling at their large dog to "get" the smaller one. Wouldn't you be afraid it was animal abuse even if the dogs did not look abused?? Plus, I'm sure they expected you to claim that they were just playing, to them, they think you are just trying to cover up. (although, if it was easy to see that the dogs were playing, they shouldn't have threatened you. By playing I mean gentle wrestling or play bows with the happy puppy face on, not just wild chasing). I don't think AC could get you though, could they? I mean, if they can't find any sign of abuse and they see that the dogs obviously like each other, what can they do?

~Seij

Court, I wouldn't sweat it. Even if the people meant well enough, any AC officer worth their salt would be able to know whether there was a cause for concern or not. We once had someone bypass calling Animal Control entirely and called the cops on my husband once saying he was stabbing cats. We were home minding our business when BAM! all these cops showed up in our yard.

What the neighbors saw: a man walking out the front door with a kitten in one hand and a "knife" in the other.

What really happened: hubby had been working on one of our vehicles and decided to let our new (at the time) kittens come outside to play. His hands were still kind of cruddy, so he picked up one at the time by the nape of the neck and carried them out. In his other hand was a screwdriver, or whatever tool he was using to work on the car at the time.

The cops did check the kittens out to be sure hubby was not stabbing(?) them and that was that. At first we were a bit indignant, but I guess I'd rather have a well intentioned (if ignorant) busybody get involved than turn their head to "obvious" (which is in the eye of the bystander) abuse. We read so many stories of abuse that happens and wonder why no one got involved. I guess sometimes you point a few fingers at the wrong people in the attempt to get the real bad guys. It may be a pain in the butt, but I'm sure in the end, if AC had come out to see what you had going on, nothing would have come of it. Don't sweat it. 8)

[quote name='courtnek']well, you all know about Laurel and Free....this happened today.

when I adopted her, I was told she would need running room (which I have, in a large back yard) and other dogs, since they are raised in a pack setting. I have a lab mix as well, they get along good. also two cats, which she loves and plays with (watching a 60 lb. foxhound doing play bows with a 4 lb kitten is a site to see)

anyway, when she needs to run (and "needs" is a fact. they HAVE to run a certain amount every day) I take them both out, and tell her RUN and tell the lab GO GET HER. maybe my choice of words was wrong. The lab then chases the foxhound around the yard, until they're both tired. the lab cant catch her, no dog she's ever run with has been able to. but its a game for both of them. The lab cheats and cuts her off, and the hound leaps over her and keeps running.

anyway, someone was walking past my gate today while we were playing this game. they cant really see in (wooden, six foot, looks out to the street) but they could hear me. they started yelling at me for telling Free to "go get her!" accusing me of using Laurel as a "bait dog". Now, I might have asked about that too, if I overheard it. I explained to them what was happening, and all they kept saying was "we will report you for animal abuse!". I was in tears. I have never abused an animal in my whole life, and wouldnt even consider it. They even came in the yard and saw how well the dogs get along.

I am very upset....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:[/quote]

Thats when you just point at the guy, look at your dogs, look back at him and yell GO GET HIM!

8)

Of course the dogs just look at you funny, but the other guys pees his pants cause he's afraid of your "abused and aggressive" doggies and you walk away laughing! Somepeople are just jackasses don't worry about it.

[quote name='Seijun']Hmm.. think about it this way.. You're walking along and someone you do not know is yelling at their large dog to "get" the smaller one. Wouldn't you be afraid it was animal abuse even if the dogs did not look abused?? Plus, I'm sure they expected you to claim that they were just playing, to them, they think you are just trying to cover up. (although, if it was easy to see that the dogs were playing, they shouldn't have threatened you. By playing I mean gentle wrestling or play bows with the happy puppy face on, not just wild chasing). I don't think AC could get you though, could they? I mean, if they can't find any sign of abuse and they see that the dogs obviously like each other, what can they do?

~Seij[/quote]

I agree with you 100% now. At the time I was so upset I could not think rationally (which isnt unusual for me when I'm upset) and alternating between angry and sad. Now, in a saner light, I can see that it probably sounded pretty bad. Actually, Seij, the dogs are the same size, but I get your point.

and thanks too HF. I think I made a bigger deal outta it than it was, and I can see how someone may have misinterpreted it.

But, I have this on my history, and I am not the biggest truster in AC...

I was fostering a Tibetan Mastiff who;s daughter had died, and she just couldnt handle the dog. He was the daughters dog. He was also very well trained, but had bonded to the daughter. I agreed to take him, since he was becoming a "problem child" with other people.

One very very cold winter morning, (-15 without wind chill) my sister shows up at my door and says she needs to stay with me a few days, our mom had kicked her out. that in itself is a LONG story, but anyway, she had her then 10 year old son with her. and he is evil, plain and simple.
although he is my nephew, I dont (to this day) think he has a decent loving bone in his body. So I said OK, BUT....I am putting the dog in my room, he is somewhat disturbed right now, keep the door SHUT and leave him alone. I should have known better. I was on my way to work. Two hours later, my sister calls and said the dog has been outside for two hours (IN THIS WEATHER? ARE YOU INSANE????) and AC had just posted notice on my door. (Y'THINK YOU COULD HAVE CALLED ME SOONER????)
Anyway, I leave work and come home, and there is Luigi, out in the field behind my townhouse, looking forlorn and frozen. I was accused of cruelty to animals (since AC could see the dog, but he wouldnt respond to them and they couldnt catch him) and given a court date. It turns out my nephew had gone in the room, against my orders, and was teasing the dog. My sister openly admitted this, saying "he's just being a kid". He was smacking the dog with a newspaper, and eventually the dog snarled at him. So my sister put him outside. no yard, no shelter, not far from a road...in the freezing cold. I wanted to strangle them both right then and there. Luigi came to me, I threw my sister out and told her to get a motel room for the remainder of her stay. I knew the dog was not quite stable yet, which is why I put him in my room with water and a nice bed, and chew toys and told them to stay out and leave him alone. This kid does NOT know the meaning of the word "NO"....

Anyway, I went to court. My mom went with me, and explained to the judge that I would never hurt an animal for any reason, and I had proof that I had been at work when all this happened. She also told the judge that my sister was not reliable around animals and that I was not in any way at fault. I guess she was my character witness. The charges were dropped and Luigi did find a good loving home. But that is one of the main reasons I have so much fear at being accused of abuse.

:o ..does your sister [i]often[/i] go around letting her unruly child smack strange dogs with newspapers??? Well I sincerely hope she has good medical insurance because that boy is going to get bit someday...and the poor dog will likely pay the price :-?

Hmmm...I bet you had to restrain yourself from "smacking some manners" into the young lad with that very newspaper :wink:

[quote name='Smooshie']:o ..does your sister [i]often[/i] go around letting her unruly child smack strange dogs with newspapers??? Well I sincerely hope she has good medical insurance because that boy is going to get bit someday...and the poor dog will likely pay the price :-?

Hmmm...I bet you had to restrain yourself from "smacking some manners" into the young lad with that very newspaper :wink:[/quote]

**sigh**

my sister lets her unruly kids do ANYTHING THEY WANT. She doesnt want to "break their spirit". (I have come close to breaking some of their little heads on more than one occasion). and I DID smack him, right before I threw them both out. I stood there and looked at him and said "Did you NOT hear me say 'DONT GO IN THAT ROOM' before I left? and his response? "It's JUST a dog, what's the big deal? dont be such a bitch about it" (this from a ten year old) He got smacked upside the head for that.
sorry, but no little thieving, lying, overly aggressive 10 year old is gonna talk to me that way. and the theiving and lying had already been proven in court. He was supposed to be seeing a psychologist for his issues. Sis never bothered to take him, saying he was just "a little hyper..."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

he was over indulged and under disciplined. "hyper" had nothing to do with it. that was many years ago. He has since been arrested multiple times for theft, drugs, etc.

After I smacked him, I said to him "I dont know WHO you think you are, or rather, who YOUR MOTHER thinks you are (evil looks at Sis) but you are NEVER going to talk to me like that again. IS THAT CLEAR?????"
and he apologized. He has never apologized to his mother in 20 years....

I believe that there is some benefit to nuturing a childs spirit and not repressing them BUT there is a huge difference between that and never disciplining. I'm glad the charges were dropped Court, sorry you had to go through that. Good for you for taking a stand against the little devil too, some kids need to be told that at least some people don't accept their behaviour.

It always saddens me to hear of stories of children like that. If only that little boy could have gotten some help. I have a 10 year old niece I am raising who I have taught how to treat animals from the time she was a toddler. Teaching her how to pet them nicely and to take care of them. Now she is our little dog trainer she goes to all the classes and trains them herself. The instructor is very impressed with her. Unless he was born this way his mom is guilty of neglect. No discipline at all is abusive in my opinion.

Guest Anonymous

Aww Court i'm sorry i only read the 1st page of this story as i'm so tired so i'm not sure what else everyone said i just waned to say i'm sorry that there stupid peoiple out there who think they are doing a good thing, which in return they are not
you dont abuse your dogs so dont worry! they are all very happy and very loved!

*hugs*

Court, I'm with DAL...... :D
Yeah, maybe the person thought at first they were doing the right thing, but after you explained and showed them what was going on they should've backed off. :wink:
And that story about your nephew !! WOW !! :o
Kids that abuse animals at a young age are known to get into trouble later........it's too bad your sister let him get out of hand. :-?
She doesn't have any others....does she ? :o

**SIGH** she has 5 altogether. From 4 different fathers. that should tell you something. I think she's one of those people that tried to hold her marriages together by having kids. it didnt work. Morgan (the nephew) had an abusive father, and at least Sis had the sense to get out of that one, but I think the damage was already done. Morgan has a chip on his shoulder a mile wide, and Sis didnt understand that overindulging him (to make up for his dads abuse) wasnt helping him. He needed strict discipline. She doesnt understand that kids WANT discipline, no matter
how badly they balk at it. You kinda have to go with your gut. Is what he wants ok for him? is he mature enough to handle this want? it's a balancing beam, and she didnt balance it well. we were both physically and mentally abused by our father. I went in for counseling. She didnt. Maybe thats the difference, I dont know...I think that has a lot to do with why she raises her kids this way. and why she's had so many husbands.
that's amateur psychology, but I just feel that is the reason.