Dogomania

HELP!!!!!!!!! French mastiff growth plate problems (HOD)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I am a first time french mastiff (Dogue de Bordeoux) owner of a beautiful 6 month old pup. Problem is he started limping on his right paw a couple of weeks ago.

The vet says he has a metabolic problem referred to as HOD (Hypertrophic OsteoDistrophy). It is commonly caused by overfeeding and over supplemental with minerals.

We haven't fed the dog too much and gave him a lot of exercise. I guess my question is has anyone seen this, and seen it heal??????????

I am worried that he won't recover properly. Please help!!

I have a fila mastiff and started having problems with her
front legs. They bowed out and she was in pain. The vet
said it was from growing too fast. We gave her 10 days
of Rimadyl, switched her food to adult food from puppy,
cut down on her food and limited her exercise. She was
NOT allowed to run or jump for months. It causes stress
on the bones and joints. She recovered nicely and we have
no problems now. Her legs straightened and the pain was
resolved. I would definantley limit the exercise. Good luck.

[quote name='danips']Ok, I am a first time french mastiff (Dogue de Bordeoux) owner of a beautiful 6 month old pup. Problem is he started limping on his right paw a couple of weeks ago.

The vet says he has a metabolic problem referred to as HOD (Hypertrophic OsteoDistrophy). It is commonly caused by overfeeding and over supplemental with minerals.

We haven't fed the dog too much and gave him a lot of exercise. I guess my question is has anyone seen this, and seen it heal??????????

I am worried that he won't recover properly. Please help!![/quote]

This sounds similiar to "Pano." My Shepherd had it for months.
Have you switched to adult food yet? 6 months is a good time to do so, I highly reccomend it, especially for a large dog like you have.

You don't want them growing fast, it can lead to all sorts of problems including HD.

I petsit for 2 Irish wolfhounds. The dog (Oliver) has had repeated surgery to slow down his growth because his owner was feeding him a colossal amount of puppy food, veggies, pasta you name it! Along with this Ollie was getting countless vitamins. Basically he was growing too fast with his diet and as a result his legs were splayed and bowed at the front where most weight is distributed in a dog. This dog had countless operations to slow down his growth as a puppy by removing and shortening the bone and restructuring it.

Cut out all dairy products and avoid foods with high protein levels. Switching to adult dog food is a possible idea to help your pup as levels of calcium and protein are usually less than what contents of nutrients are in puppy food. Cut out the vitamin c products also and supplement him with vitamin E which will help the muscle to form strong and assist his mobility. Cartrophen/carprofen may also be used in treatment and if your vet hasn't suggested this, then suggest it to him as it will greatly help with the pain. It truly is a great analgesic.

Keep us posted on how your pup goes and good luck. :wink: