Dogomania

Shepa...what?!!!!

MajiesMom

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm[/url]

These are lots of examples of mixes. Some have pictures (the labradoodle is pretty ugly if you ask me). I can't even imagine what some of these dogs must look like!

Is it healthy that they would mix a full sized german shepherd with a mini-poodle to make the mini mixes? That just seems un-natural (well, I guess all of it is pretty un-natural).

the more unbelievable thing is that people will likely pay top dollar for these things!

the thing they don't mention is that while you may inherit some good qualities from both breeds you may also get some bad qualities (health concerns) from both as well!

how many freakin breeding dogs do they have anyway? totally irresponsible :evil: :evil:

[quote]The puppies go home between 6 and 8 weeks of age and must be paid in full 2 weeks prior to delivery/pick-up.[/quote]

6-8 weeks???!!! :x .....well I guess I shouldn't be surprised at their blatant irresponsibility, considering their so called "breeding program" consists of just throwing 2 dogs of completely different breeds together and selling whayever the offspring is as a "new breed".....unbelievable

It says on their "new arrivals" page that they are expecting FIVE litters (of various "breeds") in October :evil:

Another example of plonkers :roll: I was talking to a friend previously who is on the board of the KC and we arrived at talking about crossbreeds. I put it to her that the KC needed to intervene and she agreed. I threw a suggestion at her. What if people who have KC registered dogs participating in cross breed breeding purposefully have their KC status removed and therefore dogs will not be allowed to be shown. Its only a suggestion but it will be read at next months committee meeting which will be interesting.

Oh, brother... :roll: This is starting to make me really annoyed. I was annoyed with the bichpoos and the schnoodles allready. Then came the goldendoodles and labradoodles.

Has anyone asked themselves why they use poodles in every mix?

This once started in puppymills when they wanted a little more extra cash from their mixed puppies so they came up with a name and called then new purebreeds.

Now from petshops to BYBs it's become a trend and now everyone either wants one or is interested in one. Some might even look at their dogs and notice that hey! I've got a standard poodle and (let's have fun with this shall we?) a hairless big Peruvian Inca Orchid! Why not make Peruvianoodles? Wohoo! I'm going to have a purebreed litter and I don't have to pay that much!
They must be REALLY hypoallergic and have fantastic temperaments and because they're mixed - they don't have any health issues (look at the Shepherdoodle's info in dogbreedinfo)!

Aargh...! :evil:

Kat: Yes, but there are OTHER dogs besides poodles that don't shed such as Basenjis. Bedlington Terriers, Bichon Frises. Coton de Tulears, Irish Water Spaniels, Italian Greyhounds, Kerry Blue Terriers, Malteses, Portuguese Water Dogs, Schnauzers, Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, Bichon Havanaises...

So why poodles from all of these? THAT is what I don't get.

I would hazard a guess and say because the poodle is a widely known breed, very common and popular therefore easy to obtain. Secondly the standard poodle is the 2nd most "intelligent" breed which has been shown in social personality testing.

Just as a side note: Basenjis, Schnauzers and Italian greyhounds do shed fur, only it is on a minimal basis compared to other breeds.

Poodles are also very versatile dogs, they do well with children, other dogs, cats, agility, obedience, service dogs etc. The general public sees them as the uberdog, only problem for them is they are a little frufru. IMO this is why there are so many poomixes - people actually want a Standered Poodle but don't want to admit that they want a [i]poodle[/i] or they are so daft as to think that a straight poodle is to common or boring so they mix it with another dog like a lab or a gsd or whatever.

Hmmm... Is it just me, or does it sound like they are trying to sell an experiment that they don't know the results of yet? It seemed like this is going to be their first "batch" of Shoodles, or Shepoodles, or Poopherds, or whatever they're calling them- And that they don't really even have any idea of what the puppies will be like, but here they are touting what great dogs they'll be.

In my opinion German Shepards are one of the last breeds of dogs anyone should be intentionally mixing. Don't get me wrong, I've met many Shephard mixes (or supposed mixes) that are great dogs, but it seems like the majority of them tend to inherit the headstrong and neurotic aspects of the German Shepherd.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Poodles are also very versatile dogs, they do well with children, other dogs, cats, agility, obedience, service dogs etc. The general public sees them as the uberdog, only problem for them is they are a little frufru. IMO this is why there are so many poomixes - people actually want a Standered Poodle but don't want to admit that they want a [i]poodle[/i] or they are so daft as to think that a straight poodle is to common or boring so they mix it with another dog like a lab or a gsd or whatever.[/quote]

EXACTLY my theory! People are so hung up on the image Poodles have of being an accessory item for little old ladies and they don't want their drinking buddies to make fun of them. Yet they'll spend big bucks on a "Poodle lite." Most people who meet my Standard Poodles think they're so cool and always stop to admire them, but then they'll say something stupid like, "yeah, they're nice dogs, but I'd look gay walking them..." Morons. They're athletic, intelligent and versatile dogs. They are real dogs just like any other dog of similar size. I really don't have a problem with the mixing of breeds in a carefully controlled breeding program that has a higher goal in mind than $$$, but it does make me sick that Poodles are so diluted and overbred just so people can have a Poodlish dog without being stuck with the label of being a she she foo foo girly "gay" Poodle owner, or they want to be cool and have the latest designer fashion whether it's a line of clothing or a "rare breed" of dog. Being a Poodle owner is just not considered cool. Their loss.

Is anyone else envisioning a curly double coated dog? Can you imagine the care that coat would take? Think of a dog with a thick double coat that sheds profusely and then imagine him with tight curls that holds that shedding hair so that it doesn't fall out (therefore people THINK they have a nonshedding dog when it's actually stuck on the dog). Not a coat *I* would want to have to care for. What happens to the dogs who get the worst of both breeds (as in profit motivated and without the interest of the dogs being taken into consideration)? A dog with the type of coat mentioned above with seizure disorders, bleeding disorders, a low slung rear end walking on its hocks. Yeah, I'd pay big bucks for one of THOSE. :-?

Before I got Kavik I was considering a Standerd Poodle but as my brother was going to live with us I allowed him veto privlidge on breed. He claims the reason he vetoed Poodle was because he didn't like the coat but just this month he was looking at a brown Portugese Water Dog and decided that "that's not to bad, almost cute" :roll:

Hey Horsefeathers, I wouldn't mind owning a poodle at all if it weren't for all that coat care. I think they're one of the most under-rated dogs out there, though I'm speaking stictly about standards as the smaller sizes tend to have too many genetic problems created by over breeding (I also prefer to not have to stoop down to pet my dogs :D ).