Dogomania

Mange?

Lucky Chaos

I happened to be watching Animal Cops at 4 am this morning and they rescued a great dane puppy with horrible mange from its owner. The poor thing had no fur at all, and they ended up putting it to sleep. :( My question is, I thought mange wasn't fatal? Why would they put an otherwise heathy (from what I could tell) puppy down for it? Just something that was bugging me, hope someone can answer it.

Its a tough call in situations like this but sometimes if the animal is in utter misery and the mange can't be brought quickly under control with the anaemia then it is sometimes kinder to let the animal be euthanased. I've seen dogs in horrid condition and they are just so miserable scratching constantly and its the right decision to put them to sleep.

I saw that one. The way I understood it was that mange, at some point, becomes almost impossible to cure, depending on the type. Maybe Divine knows for sure? but consder the misery the poor dog was going through.
endlessly itching, no fur, just miserable. and how do you treat it to make it stop itching so bad, for a long enough time that possibly it can be cured?

I felt really bad for the dog too.

It was probably Demodectic mange the pup had. Demodectic mange is found on the skin of all dogs. Dogs/pups with abnormal immune systems can not defend themselves against the mite. On an unhealthy pup this mite can reproduce very quickly and cause alot of problems and when the pups immune system is already weak it makes it twice as hard to treat.
The abnormality in the dog's immune system is hereditary add an unhealthy life and poor nutrition the pup probably didn't stand a chance. :(
We had our local SPCA pick up a few pups from a neglectful home with demodectic mange. The vets were only able to save 2 of the most strongest of the pups and it was VERY costly.

Our chihuahua had demodectic mange. The breeder was going to put her to sleep so my grandma took her instead. It was treated fairly early but the doctor told us after she was fully cured that he was very worried about her and didn't think she would make it but didn't want to upset us. I was shocked because I too didn't realize it was that touch and go. I can see also that a shelter might not have the resources for the expensive and time consuming care. Now she is 3 and in perfect health.