Dogomania

I was a dog bite victim. ADVICE PLEASE!

Luka-pop

Hey, I'm back! And I need everybody's advice. I was over at my friend's and they have a 7 year old Corgi, female. This dog damaged her kidneys several years ago because she got into a bottle of aspirin, and thought she wouldn't make it. I had been told that she was food and rawhide and dog aggressive, which, as a shelter volunteer, make me think of what should really be done about this dog.

And the owners have no idea about dogs, because they purchased her from a pet store as a cute puppy in the window, and let her get this witchy. The dog chewed on their wall several months back, and the family's mother grabbed her by the scruff and went to go hit her on the nose as a disciplinary gesture, and the dog lashed out at her and bit her, so the mother kicked the dog in the side, causing her to "scream" and scoot away.

Well, when I was over their house yesterday, the dog came up to me, pawed me, and layed on her back with her legs in the air, a submissive gesture. I was giving her a belly rub and she was wagging her tail, tongue sticking out, "smiling," and breathing excitedly. I moved my hand farther down, from her chest to her belly, when without a warning or change in behavior, she just lashed out at me and took a chunk out of my finger. I was dripping blood and I had 3 incisions on the tip of my ring finger, and one incision through my nail, where there was blood collecting under my nail. I dunno if it was my body's panic behavior or due to an excessive amount of endorphin "pain killers" that my body created, but I was all of a sudden light-headed, the noise was blurry, and I felt very sick to my stomack, which thank goodness only lasted for about five minutes. I sterilized it with peroxide and Neosporin and bandaged it up, and by toay the wouldhas closed itself up, but...

Was it totally irresponsible for them to not have called my parents to mention it to them? My mother was really p.o.ed about that, called them irresponsible and selfish, and then called me irresponsible for not letting them know earlier (I told them 15 hours after the incident, only because I felt no pain, I had my tetanus, and it was healing quickly). The owners took her to the vet's for Xrays because I guess the dog snapped at the mother this morning while she was petting her on her stomack as well, but the doctors found nothing wrong with her, and recommended a change of die and an aspirin based drug for the pain in her hips (hip displasia). Is this something that should be mentioned to the family as irresponsible to keep owning that dog and having guests over? And then the family's oldest daughter said "She doesn't usually bite, just once in a while." That comment threw me across the wall! I couldn't believe that she thought that it was an excusable habit just because it only happens once in a while!!! There is no excuse for a dog that lashes out at human beings IMO.

I'm sorry this was a long one, but I wanted to explain every detail leading up to it, this being a serious problem. What are your thoughts on this? They are a very nice family but they are too ignorant about dogs. They actually went to a pet store and was considering puchasing another puppy, and it was one of those mixed "poo" dogs!!!

[quote name='Luka-pop']
They are a very nice family but they are too ignorant about dogs. [/quote]

There you said it. That's my thoughts to make them short. I would just add that because of the CHD they probably shouldn't put the dog on it's back, nor should anyone else because it seems to hurt the dog and the dog bites.

[quote name='Luka-pop']
I had been told that she was food and rawhide and dog aggressive, which, as a shelter volunteer, make me think of what should really be done about this dog. [/quote]

What?

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Luka-pop']I had been told that she was food and rawhide and dog aggressive, which, as a shelter volunteer, make me think of what should really be done about this dog. [/quote]

I'm with MajiesMom and am confused about this statement.

Otherwise, it sounds like they've got a dog with some problems... Because the poor dog's got some owners with problems. If she's regularly punished with hits on the nose and kicks in the side, then no wonder the poor dog lashes out easily. And if she has kidney problems, that area is probably sensitive. So maybe that's why she lashes out when people touch (or kick) her tummy. I don't think that makes her "witchy," I think that makes her a pup in pain.

Those were my exact thoughts Amber......when I read that the Mom had hit and kicked that dog just recently :evil: (probably has done it the entire dogs life...) my thought was the dog must be in pain...... :cry:
Loka pup, sorry for your injuries, they sound very painful. :(

These people shouldn't be allowed to own a Pet Rock !! :x

The Corgi can be a snappy and dominant breed for starters. You mentioned that you were aware of the dog being aggressive with certain things, but in this scenario where she bit and followed up by a second bite in a short time later, these people should always be keeping this dog on a lead and not letting strangers pet it. The day will come when the dog through human ignorance will bite the wrong person and will end up euthanased.

As a responsible citizen you should say this to these people regardless if they are your freinds or not, or another incident is sure to happen.

Thanks verybody. My finger's healed up quite nicely, because it was sliced, rather than torn up. But I did call the doctors and they did double check on all my current shots and said to just keep it clean and watch it for about a month, because even after the wound heals up, I may start to feel some pain in my arm, if the bacteria had traveled up the bloodstream.

And as for the dog, I was P.O.ed at what their comment was when I told them that they had to think of her issues seriously. It was "Well, it's not like she bites all the time. It's just sometimes, once in a while." So I told them "That's not excuseable. That once in a while could be costly. What if she lashed out at a kid's face or something?" That shut them up. So then they asked me what a behaviorist does because it obviously wasn't something that the vet could find.

Oh, and as for my shelter comment, at the shelter I volunteer at, a dog that is as aggressive as this Corgi is, would be euthanised before even being considered for adoption. Actually, they would call the specific breed rescue shelters and ask if they would want to try to work with it, before making their final decision.

[quote name='Kat']The Corgi can be a snappy and dominant breed for starters. [/quote]

Dominant, yes. Snappy, no. As a 30+ year corgi owner and rescue worker, I don't think "snappy" is a good term for describing the average corgi. However, I [u]completely[/u] agree with the rest of your statement about this particular dog! We don't know details of course, but dogs are so much a product of their environment!!!

Lukapop, you are right that they should take this seriously. What do they want, a lawsuit on their hands? A bite at ANY time is unacceptable. Why don't you send them to the corgi list .... it's a great place to get educated about their temperament, and they'll see how other Corgi owners deal with agression. [url]http://corgi.ncn.com/[/url]

And btw I'm so glad your finger is healing nicely! :D