Dogomania

"New" Breed??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I have a dog who is a mix and who is getting old now. He is loveable and quite intelegent and has a Highly distinctive look to him.. We think we know what his parents were and I would like to try to "recreate" him. Unfortunitly, we had him fixed before we knew what a treasure he would turn out to be. [b] I really want to know what the process is to "creating" and registering a "New" Breed.[/b] I really want others to have such a wonderfull companion as I was privliged to grow up with. Could you help me?
~Abi

Guest Anonymous

It takes up to 20 generations of consitant breed type being produced.

That means if you breed a poodle to lab you get a labradoodle. You would have to succesfully breed Labradoodles for 20 generations that breed TRUE TO TYPE!

Just to recreate a "friend" is NO REASON to create new dogs.

I'm sorry just take a look at petfinder and see how many rare breeds there are listed.

Just look at Anatolian Shepherds alone.

This is a breed I'd never heard of until last August. I am on foster number 5.

Edited to add: just take a look at the number of the New Poo fads that are on there...Schnoodle, Labradoodle, Goldendoodle, yorkipoo...the list goes on.

If you check your local shelters, and/or extended shelters and volunteer animal rescues and Petfinder you should be able to find a similar breed.
Please research the number of animals put to sleep and the number of "surplus puppies" born every year before setting out on this venture.
Things to think about if you did proceed:
- 20 generations
- health checks and certifications - hips, elbows etc, anything that would generally be certified in any of the contributing parents breeds
- health and vet costs in the breeding population
- sufficient genetic diversity
- bitches should only be bred after 2 years or so depeding on breed and then only every other year
- appropriate housing and quality of life for breeding stock
- registering with proper kennel clubs eventually if they'll have you
- competing in agility, obedience, weight pull, or other sports or events to prove physical soundness and temperment and trainability
- most breeders who breed ethically don't really make money, sometimes breeding costs money
- there are plenty of breeds out there already, what niche or purpose would your breed fill that is not already filled by another breed

How old is your current dog? Pictures? We love pictures here. :D

Even with cloning it won't be the same dog. In order to get the same dog they would both have to have had the same exact experiences every moment of their lives and that just isn't going to happen. This is one of the reasons I never get the same breed twice. You are never going to get the same dog no matter what you do. Check out my signature. Every dog is an individual just as ever human is an individual. Just be happy with your dog and please don't breed him just love him.

even identical twins (nature's "clones") are never exactly the same. If raised together all their young lives, they may be remarkably similar, but their personalities could be as different as night and day. I had twins as friends when I was young. they really were identical, and hard to tell apart, but their personalities gave it away. so as K and Cairn6 have said, you will never have another dog exactly like the one you love so much.

Please go see the shelters. The personality you want may be there just waiting for you.

I do not know what mix your dog was, but even if you were able to mix those same dog breeds again, the puppies would not act the same as your dog. It is near impossible to mix two dogs of totaly different breeds and know what the puppies will act like. They are mixes. Mutts. Their temperment can vary greatly and even cloning could not recreate an individual dog's temperment.

~Seij

I whole-heartedly agree with everyone above !! :wink:
You will never be able to recreate that one in a million dog !!
Just cherish the wonderful times you had with him and keep the memories.

I know.....I too had that one in a million perfect dog.....she was a German Shepherd cross, there will never be another one like her.

Hildegarde :angel:

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d929b3127cceb180a5e485eb0000001610[/img]

Is it just me or did abishere222 edit his/her post to highlight the I want to know how to register a new breed part? Apparently he/she is annoyed at our responses and isn't interested in the importance of responsible breeding and hip/eye/elbow etc certification and only wants to know how to make more unwanted puppies in a country that euthanizes truckloads of puppies and dogs a month already.

People have expressed educated, experienced opinions and concerns.
People have been polite and understand you have a very special dog and referred you to Petfinder.
You have given no indication that you will do all needed hip/elbow/eye/genetic certification or truley know how to go about ethical and responsible breeding.
You didn't respond, you just indicated you wanted to make puppies and apparently want our help to do so.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you read any of the posts on this thread or any others here? People here care deeply about the welfare of all pets, they aren't going to help you do this thing.

Do a search on AKC for Rare Breeds and there should be info there to help you know what you need to do to register a rare breed.
The regular AKC site may be able to give you info too.

Not sure what you are trying to do though. Are you now wanting to get the breeds that are in your dog and breed them to create a similar dog?
Have you checked petfinder for the breeds in your dog?

Just curious, what are the breeds involved here?