Dogomania

Quality not dry but not wet dog food

boomers mom

Does anybody know of any good quality food for senior dogs? I have an 11-yr old JRT/poodle and she does not really like to chew hard food (kibble) anymore. I am wondering if there is any food similar to moist & meaty for example - its not hard but not as soft as wet/canned food.

I would appreciate any suggesstions!!!

:eating:

We had her teeth cleaned a few years ago Divine, her teeth arent too bad with tartar, a bit of build up but nothing to worry about (so says the vet). Anyway, I do brush her teeth regularly (almost as fun as the nail clipping!).

I dont think it bothers her to eat, but just that she eats better with softer food instead of just kibble.

Esslover - I saw that commercial too, that doggie passing up a steak for dogfood. It does look yummy - that dancing doggie sure seems to like it!!!

I am sure Boomer would like it, but I would much rather pick hard poops than mush poops!! Just from personal experience....

:D

[quote name='DivineOblivion19']I'm sure TDG could help you out when he reads your thread! :wink:[/quote]

hehe he's a she :) maybe i should fill in my profile someday. :oops:

anyway, please stay [b]far, far away[/b] from any soft-moist commercial food. they are loaded with chemicals to preserve the food ingredients, high in sugars to bind moisture and are generally of poor ingredient quality. above mentioned "kibbles n bits" product doesn't contain a single shred of "real" quality meat but is loaded with 3 different synthetic preservatives, various chemical additives, 4 different artificial colors and poor quality supplements.

all the chemicals to keep a soft/moist food from spoiling aside, and also looking past the high amounts of sugars and salt, they are also very high in phosphorus, which is a big issue especially in older dogs, since a diet high in phosphorus is very hard on the kidneys. kidney problems are hard to detect until it's too late already and they have lost about 75% of their function.

if you need more info on commercial dog foods, have a look [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/]here[/url].

if your dog prefers a softer meal, consider soaking the kibble in warm water for a few minutes before serving. just don't let it sit for long and toss any leftovers. if that isn't yummy enough, add low-sodium broth.

alternatively you could consider something like flint river ranch's "dry water" dog food, a mix of dehydrated, freeze dried, oven baked and otherwise prepared ingredients that comes in a bag like kibble and you add warm water to it 2 minutes before serving.

NO!!!!
No semi moist.
No kibbles n bits.
Yuck, bad, suger, salt, corn, soy, by product.

Moistend kibble is a good suggestion.
You could also try researching homemade dog food recipes, you would be feeding a meal that would be something like this - ground meat, cooked rice, a bit of veggies and maybe tomatoe, perhaps some added supplemetns. Definately semisoft, smells better than dog food, very healthy.

Thanks for the suggesstions! I think I might try the warm broth and kibble, I think she will like that.

At one time I had her on homemade yummies (she needed to be on a bland diet for a bit) and she loved it! Getting her back to regular food wasn't too much of a chore, but I am sure she would rather have chicken, rice & veggies.

• 2 weeks later...

My doggie has the same issue. He's a 13 year old toy poodle, with dental problems galore (his former owners didn't take very good care of his teeth). I add broth or water to his kibble and zap it in the microwave for 45sec, then mix it up and let it cool for a minute before giving it to him. (It smells bad though! :( ). It makes it much easier for him to chew and eat. I still give him crunchy treats - he likes raw carrots - and chewies to help clean off his teeth, he chews those at his own pace. With dry kibble, though, it was obviously painful for him to eat.

Just a quick update. For about a week I have been slowly mixing in Chicken Lovers kibble and adding chicken broth (low salt) and Boomer is just loving this!!!

P.S. This is the first time trying Chicken Lovers kibble, I gotta say, the shape of the food is too funny - looks like doggie cheerios! Too cute.

Does anybody out there feed Chicken Lovers?