Dogomania

The Barking....

coastie_wife

....is driving me nuts!!!! My dogs (a chi-something mix and a beagle/terrier mix) start barking at 7:30 am (sometimes as early as 6 am) and honestly don't stop until about 8pm at night. They bark when they want outside, they bark when they want in the house, they bark if they get tangled on their leads, they bark if a cat/dog/bunny/bird/person walks by, they bark when they play, they bark when they're happy, they bark when they're upset.

I know chi's and beagles are big time barkers....but this barking all day thing only started about 3 weeks ago....and I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to minimize the barking?? They take turns too....one will bark for about an hour, then the other starts. They have toys, they get plenty of attention and they get plenty of exercise, so I really don't know what else to do.

Guest Anonymous

When they bark tell them no ?
i 'm not sure what to tell you, as my dogs aren't big barkers, only to go out, in and if someone's at the door..

i know they also make collars for dogs that bark and when they bark it sends alittle shock to them, but they seem very harsh to me ...
i'm sure there are other people on thie boardwith better advice..

good luck

ROFL--my dogs fit ALL of those characteristics :roll: I think I am going to have to give the coins in a pop can a go--my mother has used it for excessive barking in her home (she's got 4 chihuahuas and a bassett hound, lol) and it does okay. Otherwise I'm not sure, I'm hoping it's temporary since they have always barked a lot, but the constant barking is relatively new.

Guest Anonymous

pennies in a pop can work great! i didn't even think of that! lol my grandmother had to use it on her Lapsa Apsa it was the only thing that stopped her from barking!

Oh, I missed this!

Now, some may think me odd (and if they do, believe me it's not just because of THIS post :roll: ), but I "reward" my dogs for barking. I try relating to them. I want them to think that when they do that constant barking because it feels good thing, they're asking for something. That "something" is a spray of Bitter Apple right in the mouth. It's never used as a punishment. I'm perky perky perky :D :D :D .

I give them a few freebie barks. They're dogs and maybe they're trying to tell me there's something in the yard, or something they think I need to know. Once I've said, "ok, thank you," I really mean "ok, that's enough." Anything past the "thank you" gets a "reward" of Bitter Apple.

I only started this fairly recently and lemme just go ahead and tell you it works WONDERFULLY. One dog out of my ten actually likes the Bitter Apple, but she's not a bigtime barker and responds well to just evil looks (she's very tenderhearted), much less fussing at her.

If you do something like this, you have to be very persistent and willing to stand and wait and approach the dogs each and every time the barking starts. It takes a lot of running in the very beginning, but my dogs figured it out very quickly. They think I'm a total dumb*ss for "misunderstanding" them, but they're allowed to have their opinions :wink: .

Just remember perky perky perky :D :D :D as if you were handing out their favorite treats and only one tiny little spritz at a time directly in the mouth. It's not meant as a punishment.

Bah....we had the police called on us yesterday.....hubby was with friends and since our newest dog (the chi mix) isn't housetrained and we couldn't be with them put them outside they barked for about 90 minutes. A neighbor decided rather than come over and request that we put the dogs in the house they would call the police.

Same neighbors called the police on us about our boat being in our driveway for 5 days. Had they bothered to ask they would have found out that my husband (who is military) was called out of town unexpectedly the day he brought the boat home...and having been here less than a month I simply didn't know anyone who could help me move the boat to the storage area. Jackasses.

We just ordered citronella bark collars. Hopefully they work, because right now our choice is getting rid of the dogs or killing the jackass neighbors, lol.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='anne3149']What on earth is a Lapsa Apsa????????

edited to say: Ok I guess that would be a Lhasa Apso.[/quote]

lol ya sorry..i cou;dn't remeber how to spell it :oops:

Lol Mei-Mei....the police officer was actually *embarrassed* to come bother us. He felt the same way....that cops shouldn't be used for that....but since my husband rides a motorcycle and he had 'motorcycle' friends over, apparently they felt intimidated.

Then he sat down and chatted with us about motorcycles for like an hour, lol.

Barking dog . . .have I got the King of Barking dogs . . . LMBO Star Voyager barks over EVERYTHING! I think he uses it as his form of communication; athough, it's rather irritating to have him stand in front of us and do his little hop-bark-growl at 2am when I've just told him to "Sssshhhhhh, quiet".

Wow, I sympathize with you coastie-wife! My neighbors haven't turned me in yet, and I'm not exactly sure why! I guess I must just have some of the best neighbors who figure dogs bark - that's what they do!

If you figure out something that works, please, I'd love for you to share with me! LOL . . .I'd like to try a few things out on my "bark-face Star" . . .LOL

I may have to try the bitter apple bit, I don't have a barker, but I do have a howler/grumbler/talker. See my avatar, that's the view I have of China about 80% of the time, lol!
Seriously, I've tried all kinds of differnt stratagies, from shake cans to ingnoring her, and so far nothings worked out. The real truth is that I'm probably stuck with her jabbering as my fiance has encouraged it in the past ("What does China say? What? Speak up, I can't hear you, what are you talking about China?...).
Oh well, it's not really too bad. At least it doesn't bother the neighbors, and she's only half as annoying as my cockatoo, Fred can be. I'm still waiting for the day that we get new neighbors who don't know about the bird decide to call CPS on us because they think we're lashing children with a cat-o'-nine-tails. :lol:

I got the citronella anti-bark collar for Maya, and it works like a charm! I just put on her when I turn the girls out at night (because I get home from work after midnight and don't want them any barking then), but I go ahead and let her bark (within reason) during the day when they're outside.

Maya is so cute too when I get out her "special necklace." I get it off the counter, blow into it (so that she knows what it is). She sits down in front of me and I put the collar on her. Then I get out her harness (which is attached to a 40-foot cable because she's a fence jumper). If she isn't already sitting, she sits, I hold the harness up to her, she lifts her right foot and puts it in the harness, and then she lifts up her left foot and puts it in the harness. And she has a big smile on her face the whole time. She knows that if she's getting the spray collar and harness on, that means she gets to go outside!

But if your regular collar has tags on it, you need to take that off when using the citronella collar, because the tags bouncing against the citronella reservoir will set it off (I found that out the hard way)!

And if one dog barks at the one wearing the collar, they'll both get sprayed (Jackie found that out the hard way).

I highly recommend the citronella collar! Good luck with your barkers (and your awful neighbors).

I LOVE the grumbling, growling, talking, wooing thing. If Zaphod is barking and I tell him no, he stops barking and switches to a disgruntled, reproachful grumble. Also if he's at the back door and sees something that obviously needs policing he first checks to see if I'm around, if he sees me he just grumbles etc. with an occaisional quiet wuff. :lol:

We have Lemon Juice in a small squirt bottle and use it when needed. One of the dogs loves it though and will run to you when you pick up the bottle, luckily she's not a barker!
The other thing that our trainer says to do is when they bark tell them Speak and then give them a treat. Then take them to another room where maybe they will calm down and tell them Quiet and if they do not bark give them a special treat. He did this over and over with his two and it took a while but then he started each time he would say Speak he would touch his ear. Now all he has to do is look at the dog and touch his ear and they will bark, but if he says Quiet they stop. Kinda funny when there is someone pearing in his fence and the dogs are being quiet when he lets them out, he can walk out like he's doing nothing and touch his ear and scare the crap out of someone at the fence!
Good Luck!