Dogomania

Short Haired Golden....?

ESSlover

I was one the HART website and found this cutie (interesting description though...)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/ESSlover/bishop.jpg[/img]

Breed: short haired golden retriever J
Size: 55 lbs
Dog Friendly: For short periods but prefers to be an only dog
Cat Friendly: No

Hi, I'm Bishop, the short-haired golden retriever! I may look like an American Staffordshire terrier mix, but that's just my disguise. Underneath, I'm pure golden retriever. Don't believe me? I'll prove it! Just listen to my description: I'm a happy, friendly boy with a big, beautiful smile. I love to play and my favorite game is fetch -- I'm a fetchin' fool! Kongs, tennis balls, you name it. I'll keep retrieving my kong toy as long as you keep throwing it! When you get tired, we can go inside and you can relax on the couch to rest your arm. I'll hop up and snuggle next to you (in fact, I will probably want to be right in your lap!). I'll gaze at you adoringly and give you gentle, enthusiastic doggy kisses to show you how much I love you and how happy I am just to be with you. I'm very smart and I would love for you to teach me tricks and commands because I want so much to please you. I love people, so I just know I'll like all your friends - especially if they throw my kong for me! See? Big, handsome, friendly, affectionate, smart, loves to play fetch - that's me, Bishop, the short-haired golden retriever!

absolutely untrue. there is no such thing as a "short-haired Golden"....the purebred Golden's trademark is it's long, flowing fanned hair, and the fanned tail. There is such a thing as a Golden Lab (not a registered breed, basically the mixing of the Lab with a Golden) who can be the color of a golden, with short hair. I had one. They looking nothing like this pup. This dog has bully breed in it. My golden lab looked like a golden retriever, with the short hair of the lab and the otter-like tail.

on the left was my "Golden Lab"....

[img]http://dingo.care-mail.com/pictures/63/633/361/633617708.jpg[/img]

I'm with Matty- I don't think the meant to literally claim the dog is a golden. It's a jab at those who would be prejudiced against owning that dog because of its looks. It's saying, 'ignore my looks; I'm just like a golden.'

Looks like a lot of staffy to me. The problem I have is the description of looking like a Am Staf as a "disguise" but the attitude etc being Golden, not sure about the rest of you but the description seems to describe my pittie completely! And if someone is thinking about adopting they need to be made aware of the breed up front, not after they get it home. Sounds a little fishy to me.
They have the Breed listed as a short haired golden, it's not just in the description. If it was just a funny way to describe the Staf in him then they should have the breed listed as an Am Staf.
JMO

[quote name='Matty']What a cute advertisment. :lol: :wink:
[quote]I may look like an American Staffordshire terrier mix, but that's just my disguise. Underneath, I'm pure golden retriever. [/quote]
They are basically stating the dog is a Staff X and referring to its personality as a Golden. Very cute :lol:[/quote]
i agree too -it's very clever

This is very misleading IMO. I agree that many people will think that this dog really [i]is[/i] a Short-haired Golden Retriever. It is fine to describe the personality as golden retriever-ish. But listing the dog as a breed it's not? I don't think that's right. :-?

I agree with Mei-Mei's suggestion. Put "Short-haired Golden retriever" in quotations. But only [b]after[/b] the actual breed is listed. Lots of people out there won't see this person's sense of humour and wit. :roll:

I honestly don't have a problem with it considering how Pit(ish) looking dogs are stereotyped. I don't think it's any worse than the "single black female seeking love" ad that ran in the Atlanta paper and has been posted on every dog board (was a black Lab and calls were actually to the shelter). I get the feeling it was tongue in cheek and just don't see it posing a threat of starting a trend toward breeding short haired Goldens. I really don't see any harm in that humorous description. I would imagine that anyone interested in adopting the dog would know or be told that it was in fact an Am Staff (X?) just as all the lonely men who ended up calling the number in the "single black female" ad were told it was a Lab. It worked... as far as I know, the dog got a home which speaks volumes for that kind of innovative advertising since Labs and Lab mixes are a dime a dozen in shelters and notoriously hard to find homes for.

I guess I can kind of relate. One of the first rescues that I pulled from the shelter was/is a 120ish lb Chow mix. The lady who ended up being the perfect home for him is terrified of Chows and would never consider owning one. When he became a Collie/Shepherd cross, she fell in love and they've been happy for about 2-3 years. Labeling matters.

I say good for them for being so creative in their advertising, especially if it saves a life. 8)