Dogomania

Service Dog? - Unusual breed . . .

petpits

Meet my Service Dog, Miss Bailey! Even though it's not required by law or ADA, she has her certification. Positive I can't do anything on my own, she seems to bee "babysitting" me like a guardian . . . LOL It never ceases to amaze me at how intuitive and smart this little girl (ok, she's not so little ..LOL) is! Because of her "service" I'm finally able to have about the same freedoms I once had . . . Miss Bailey is truly a gift from God. . . .

[img]http://www.petpits.com/sd-7.jpg[/img]

Very interesting, I've been hearing more and more about Pit Bulls & Pit Mixes being used as service dogs (Although Bailey looks like an AmStaff to me, yes?), and hearing debates about many of them having a higher trainability than Labs.

At any rate, Bailey is a beautiful girl and she looks quite smart there with her pack.

[quote name='Canis erectus']Very interesting, I've been hearing more and more about Pit Bulls & Pit Mixes being used as service dogs (Although Bailey looks like an AmStaff to me, yes?), and hearing debates about many of them having a higher trainability than Labs.

At any rate, Bailey is a beautiful girl and she looks quite smart there with her pack.[/quote]

She's registered UKC APBT; however, the sire's side is all AKC AmStaff, with her dam having a large amount of AmStaff too. *grin*

They are quite smart dogs and learn quick, that is when they aren't being stubborn. . . LOL I always laugh and tease that they don't call them "bullies" for no reason . . that they were nicknamed that for their bull headedness . . LMBO

• 19 years later...

Service dogs are incredibly valuable and essential animals that provide assistance to individuals with various physical and psychological needs. However, when it comes to unusual breeds serving as service dogs, it may seem unexpected. The key factor is that assistance dogs can be selected and trained based on their individual qualities and abilities, rather than their breed. My service dog earned a beautiful certificate for service dog status from https://myserviceanimal.org/products/service-dog-certificate/, showcasing his excellent training and capabilities. This highlights the adaptability and versatility of service dogs in meeting the unique needs of individuals with disabilities, regardless of the breed they belong to.