Dogomania

what else can i train my dog to do???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 4 yr old lab/border collie.

ok she sits, stays, rolls over, lies down... what else? i need to keep training her as she is becoming less obedient these days. i need some relatively easy training exercises.

any tips ???? :D

How about speak? Or shake hands, or high five or something? Bear in mind I can't do any of those with my dog :lol:, but others here have dogs who know a lot of commands. Have you thought about formal obedience and/or agility, if you're not already doing it? They are very good for keeping smart dogs like border collies happy mentally. Though if you are a PETA fan what are you even doing with a companion animal, did you not know that is "cruel"... Obviously that is where you differ from their extreme views, which is good for you and your little doggie. :wink:

My dog does all those but he also does shake, crawl and jumps back and forth through a hoop you could try those. They used to have classes on dog tricks but they stopped having them Toto's instructor suggested it right before they ended the classes. I am just not good a teaching tricks but the instructor used Toto as his guinea pig for class, a lot of people don't realize just how intelligent cairn terriers are so the instructor in his class would use him to show how quickly you can teach your dog new tricks. I wish I knew how to do it maybe my other 3 would be doing some more tricks now all they know is shake, sit, and down. I watch the instructor but danged if I can repeat it with the other dogs.

You can teach your dog to pick up things for you. This is really useful if you're lazy like me! I can point at something and say, "pick it up" and Buck will bring it over to me. :)

Some other good ones have been mentioned. Shake takes like 10 minutes to teach most of the time. You can also teach your dog to play dead when you point your finger at him and say, "Bang". That's a really cute one that always gets a lot of laughs.

You can teach her to lick on command. And then when she knows the word, you can point to someone else and have her go lick that person.

"Go find" is fun... Teach the names of people and then make him go to the person who's name you said.

"Find it" is my dogs favorite game/trick. I show him a toy so he knows what it is, then put him in a down/stay and go hide the toy. Then he gets to go find the toy and bring it back. Webby [i]loves[/i] it! :)

Theres weaving between your legs too. You walk and the dog walks through your legs.
Figure 8 is like weaving but you stand still and the dog goes through your legs in a figure 8.

walking backwards

balancing on things. You teach the dog the word upp and then you can point at things and it'll jump up. I've found it very handy when doing agility with Web. :D

left and right can be fun to do.. Web knows left, its great on walks when he's ahead of me and I want to turn.

"Stop" is pretty easy to teach, and can be really good to know! And its one of the things they need to know for the first competitive obedience class.

"Touch", with either his nose or paw.

Retrieving

"Gentle", for Web that means to take the treat [i]very[/i] carefully from my hands. Normally he gets all excited at the prospect of getting food :roll: and and can be a bit overenthusiastic, so its nice that he knows to take it gentley sometimes. :)

High Five. Web does it so he rears up on his haunches and slaps my palm with one of his paws. "Pretty Paw" only means that he has to lift one of his paws.

You could give differnt toys names and have her distinguish between them- like ask for the ball, and she has to get the ball and not the squeaky toy or something.

You could also try to get the things she knows faster, for example if she'll sit 2 seconds after you say "sit" you could try to get her to sit within 1 second, etc.

[quote name='gentle_peace']I have a 4 yr old lab/border collie.

ok she sits, stays, rolls over, lies down... what else? i need to keep training her as she is becoming less obedient these days. i need some relatively easy training exercises.

any tips ???? :D[/quote]

any kind of obedience/agility/herding/flyball etc class would be good to get involved with. Both those breeds need lots of hard exercise or they will go crazy... and make you crazy too!

If you don't like the traditional tricks, take a look at a new book "BEYOND FETCH" by C. Coile

You could try this, I'm just going to start teaching Jesse:
I say "Hands against the wall" or "Put'em up"! Like I'm a cop and Jesse puts his paws up on the wall. Very simple right now but I want him to hold it then pretend to frisk him, it'll be fun, he learns so fast. :D
I've also taught him to close the door on command so we go around the house shutting doors for fun, he just pushes them shut with his paws. :)
I taught him to pull a rope attached to my door knob to open the door too. There's no limit to what you can teach a dog if you are both willing and to us it's a lot of fun! :D I love training dogs.

One of the other people in our play group has a Laberdoodle that they are teaching to get a beer out of the fridge and bring it to them! She can now open the fridge door but the can kept sliding when she went to grab it so now they hold it with one finger until she masters it and then she trots back to the living room with it in her mouth!
We were working with Piper on opening doors, like the fridge and stuff. First we started with just playing tug and then getting her to hold something in her mouth and not tugging until we say so, then we would put a towel or something on the handle to the fridge and give it to her - "Take" and then "Tug" until the door opened. She was so proud of herself. But I don't drink beer and we decided against teaching her anymore cause our other dog would be learning from her and then he would eat anything he could get in his mouth before we caught him!