Dogomania

It's been a month...

ESSlover

Since Mocha died :cry: .... oh tomarows gonna be hard. We still dont have a dog. Darn the stinkin adoption process. We put in an application for MAESSR but the people havent written back to us to tell us we've been aproved. Joan, the lady we've been communicating with, said that we should expect it Monday the earliest, so I was thinkin like Tuesday, Wednesday, but its almost Friday and still no reply! :evil: UGH!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, needed to vent a bit :oops: Oh if only I was old enough to drink :drinking: Just kidding! Any tips on what to do while we wait? Also, if anyone has been through the adoption proscess with a rescue organization, how long did you have to wait for a reply? I know that all groups are different, but I just want an estimate....

honestly i got my second rotten butt thru rescue (roxies fund) and it took a very short time for us -- from the time we applied til pick up maybe 3weeks? in that time they came out for a home interview, we did a phone interview and he got neutered.

all rescues have different levels of organization and different numbers of dogs for adoption -- so try not to get discouraged if it takes a while.

have any friends with dogs? maybe you could dogsit whilst you wait?

Wow :o ! Three weeks for the whole she-bang! My goodness! We dog-sat for our friends last week, but it was odd, cause we kept calling her Mocha. But it kind of sunk in the fact that we arent gonna get a dog the exact same as Mocha. That stinks but its life.

Guest Anonymous

My cody only took me a week.. filled out the adoptoing paper work on friday went and saw him on Sunday picked him up on Tuesday after his neuter.

[quote name='ESSlover']Wow :o ! Three weeks for the whole she-bang! My goodness! We dog-sat for our friends last week, but it was odd, cause we kept calling her Mocha.....[/quote]

My mom loves my dog Lulu (whom I've had for about 5 years now), but she still sometimes calls her "Sunny", the name of Lab owned by our next-door neighbors when I grew up. Sunny was a wonderful dog, but she died about 35 years ago... :o

When I adopted Jackie from a rescue shelter, I took her home the same day I met her. I just had to fill out the paperwork, write the check, and take her home.

When I adopted Maya (from the same shelter), I took Jackie to meet her on Friday, filled out the paperwork that day, and picked Maya up the next day.

Thanks everyone for your replies. THe thing is, that with MAESSR, you fill out an app to even get consider for being a possible adoptee, and then you will get notified when there is a dog that would be well suited for you. Why does it have to be so darn complicated!!! :roll:

well, its a little late now, but if you tell me about Mocha I'll be more than willing to write you a poem for her. you gotta give me personality.

It rook three weeks total to adopt my foxhound. they had strict adoption
requirements, and had to verify everythng I told them, then go thru the meeting process with the current "bitchy" dog. (Free). hang in there...

:D

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May Mocha rest in piece. :( I know you must have really loved her and knowing that I am sure that her years on the Earth were filled with happiness and joy.

Let us know how things are going with the adoption process, 'kay? We need updates reguarly. Hugs to you.

Thanks Mutt_Lady, and you can be sure to hear about updates! We got an email yesterday from Joan saying that our application wasnt lost, but the approver-lady was on vacation the last week so she had some catching up to do. She said we should be getting the OK anyday now. And were hopin the dog'll be comin soon after that :wink: !

That's a wonderful suggestion from mouseatthebusstop -- a tribute or memorial. I did that for my Daisy. She was with me for 13 years (passed away about 10 years ago). It took me over a year before I could look at her picture without crying. When I finally could look at her pictures and smile and laugh at memories, I made a whole album dedicated to her. It was something that helped a great deal.

I adopted my Springer, Jake, through NEESR (the New England branch of the same organization you are using). We were notified of our approved application within days. And Jake was the first dog they suggested to us. Within 2 weeks time, I had contacted the forster mom, set up a meeting, took care of all paper work, and had Jake home with me. Many months later, when we were ready to take in another, we contacted NEESR again. Because we were on their list of 'approved adopters', we were always the first of several people to hear about new arrivals. Of course, we took in a Saint Bernard instead of another Springer.

Good luck with your new Springer. And take all the time you need to grive for Mocha.

I have never gone to a rescue for a dog I always go to the shelter. For those that have why does it take so long? I have read on other boards how sometimes it can be frustrating to get a dog through a rescue. Is it a specific breed rescue that your going too?

[quote]I have never gone to a rescue for a dog I always go to the shelter. For those that have why does it take so long?[/quote]

It takes long because most rescues consist of just a couple of people who have jobs, families, kids, etc. They usually get tons of calls and emails from people trying to dump animals, and other calls/emails from people wishing to adopt.

Many require an application to be filled out before anything else. This is because there would be no sense arranging to have someone come meet a dog and then find out this person plans to make it live outdoors, or that they dumped their last dog(s) or live in apartment that does not allow pets.

They must be careful and picky. This is for the protection of the animals, who have already been abandoned and maybe even abused once already. Everything possible must be done to make sure the next home is a loving and permanent one!:)

I'm with a cat rescue, and my advice is: The first email you send, include lots of information about yourself, your lifestyle, and your home. Mention other pets you have had and what happened to them. Say why this particular dog is one you would like to adopt.

This saves a lot of time. Getting emails - as we do - just saying "How much for the cats/dogs?" is not enough.