Dogomania

Telephone ad has local groomers & vets in a tizzy

imported_Cassie

Just to see what every body else thinks of this, the local groomers and vets are very upset.
In the yellow pages of our phone book (new phone books just came out) one of the groomers advertised in her ad the following.

[quote]Exclusive professional dog grooming for small & medium sized dogs.
Also offering advice on diet, nutrition, skin conditions & behavior problems[/quote]

The fact that this women has not earned certification in any of the above catagories of nutrition, diet, skin conditions and she definately has not taken any courses in behavior , she is not a behaviorist and she has never taught obedience. This is what has many of the local vets, behaviorists and groomers most upset.
This lady just started grooming about 5 years ago. The only courses she has attended on diet, nutrition and behavior problems are from the seminars all the local groomers attend together. My boss stated that the seminars on nutrition given at these seminars does not make you qualified to give advice on it, or at least advertise about giving advice. I mean, all dog groomers give hints and suggestions and will say things in a way as to not step on the toes of the vets. For instance my boss will say that she has tried a certain dog food and she has heard good things about it, or she has used a certain supplement and has had great success but talk to your vet first...etc etc.
My boss has learned more about nutrition from posts I have read on this site :o for instance TDG and dogpaddle. But, just because I have read these posts does not make me qualified to give advise to customers...especially when it comes to skin problems etc.

Any way, my boss is not upset..she doesnt really care :lol: its the other groomers who are freaked out and a local vet has written a letter to this groomer.
My boss and I agree that this is going to be bad for this groomer...not only for the fact the vets (who are your best referrals) and other groomers now hate her (when you lose the support, advise and respect of your peers it can alienate you).
My boss and I think this groomer is setting herself up for having her phone ringing of the hook from people looking for free health advise and training. So, IMO opinion I think the ad is going to come back and bite her on the butt.
From knowing this girl what she is trying to do is make her self out to be a knowledgable dog person. She is also trying to make it seem as though she is better than the other groomers in this area. Believe me she has done things in the past to stir a hornets nest in the dog groomer circle a few times...once she took out a whole page ad in the newspaper stating how much better her shop was from all the other shops in town as she provided "gentle" grooming. The implimention was that all the other groomers are rough with the dogs :o :-?

Any how, what do you guys think. Do you think its right for a person who just got into dogs 5 years ago and has taken a few courses at seminars (which all of the other groomers have taken as well) to be advertising that she is pretty much an expert in feilds other than grooming?
Or do you think like I do and believe that you reap what you sow and she is going to be bombarded by calls and will live to regret that ad?

I would think it will come back to bite her in the hiney!!
You can't give people advise on things you are not well versed in... thats just wrong. If you are not certified, (or whatever the case may be.. taken the proper courses...etc) then you should not be advertising these services. I agree that it seems that she is trying to set herself apart from the crowd, but it won't take long for people to see right through her. You can't fake people out forever... or can you??

We have a "behaviorist" here in my home town( I dont want to mention any names) but he has obediance classes, and has a weekly talk (call-in show) on the radio. (actually I think he has 2 x week now). He has absolutly no credentials, and my trainer (who has known him for years) said , just one day... he was a behaviorist!! Figure that one out? Alot of people think highly of him, and listen to his radio show (including my mother) but some of the advise he offers people is just crazy!

[quote]I would think it will come back to bite her in the hiney!! [/quote][b]Taurus and Jada[/b]
Thats what we think at the shop I work at. My boss doesnt really care one way or the other on how some one else conducts their own business. We have just gotten involved as every groomer in the city is ticked off and has been calling my boss all upset. Its mainly the newer groomers who are most ticked off as they don't have a well established clientel. My boss does, and has to turn away some customers.
My boss had said that once this groomer gets busy with grooming she will regret putting the add for advise in her phone advertisment. There is nothing more annoying than when you are trying to scissor a dog etc. and have the phone ringing off the hook.
The vets are a little mad as she is advertising on skin problems. Its not a good idea to lose the respect of the local vets :wink:

[quote]If she isn't required to have any legal certificates for nutrition/behaviour/grooming etc then she is within her right to advertise.
[/quote]
Kat, your right. I don't think there is any legislation which requires a person be licenced in each of these catagories. I suppose when you think about it most pet stores hire young people in high school etc. and they give out advise on diet/nutrition/behaviour/skin problems. :shock: :tard:

Thanks for the opinions, I think at the shop I work at we will try not to get involved in this dispute. Leave it between the other groomers.

I can understand the reaction to be upset, both as a groomer and as a dog lover. But I guess we don't really know what kind of "advice" this person will be giving.

It's possible the extent of the diet and nutrition advice is: feed super premium brands. Ever since I did a little investigating on the topic and switched our dogs to super premiums, yes, if customers ask me about food, I will tell them what I do. You know, saying, "In my opinion the super-premiums are better than Alpo."

And maybe the depth of her "advice" on behavior and skin conditions will be the same. Usually if I say anything to my customers on these topics I will follow it up with, "but be sure to consult with your vet."

There's a groomer near me who offers "gentle grooming" also and when I first saw it in her advertising it got my hackles up a bit, but I think people are savvy enough these days to figure out that they are reading ADVERTISING and the advertiser has a product or service to sell.

The other thought I had on the subject of her advice is that she could get herself into some hot water with it. And I don't mean as in deluged with calls, but rather legally.

The ad only states she is "offering advice". It doesn't say she is "offering professional advice". Anyone can give advice, especially if it is free. It's not like someone can ask for a refund if it doesn't work.

Admitting openly that she is willing to talk with people about their dogs and give them some tips makes her seem more accessible and willing to help people. It's good marketing.

As for the "gentle grooming" thing, she needs a way to make herself look different than other businesses. It's another good way to market and may indeed get her a few more customers. She's not directly implying that there is anything wrong with other groomers, she's just saying she tries extra hard to do it gently. Nothing wrong with that. It's her business strategy.