Dogomania

Update on Patti

For anyone that has been following my situation here is an update. As you are already aware of Patti has her appointment tomorrow to be PTS. I have cancelled this appointment. There is no way I can bring myself to have this done. I admit that Patti has issues that needs to be delt with and having her PTS seems to me the easy way out. The vet wants to see her and run test to make sure there is no underlying issues (health wise) going on with her. So I am taking her tomorrow for that instead. I have been reading up on dog on dog aggression, NILIF and other methods of working with her. Seeing that I am having my baby in a few more weeks I'll be home for at least 3 months. During this time I will be able to work with Patti. I do currently have the girls seperate. I thought that would be hard to handle but it is not. I rotate the girls indoors and out. I do not want to give up on any one of my dogs. I love them too much! I will try anything and everything to help the situation as long as my family members are safe. I have also contacted Free's trainer and waiting to see it there is any open slots for her to help me work with Patti, if Free's trainer is unavailable then I will move on to Asim's trainer. I now there is help out there for her and I am determined to fine it.

yay! good for you and whew! that was a close one for patti. you might think of reading the booklet "feeling outnumbered" by pat mcconnell and karen london. it deals with issues in multi-dog households. in my opinion pat mc is the leading authority on dog-dog aggression so it may do you good to use some of her other tools as well. you don't happen to live in wisconsin do you? that is where she is hq'd. you can find her material at [url]www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com[/url] if you are interested. jean donaldson just put out a new book too on dog dog issues tho i have not read it yet. you can find it at [url]www.dogwise.com[/url]

hang in there!

Just so happens that there's a new book out that might help you. I ordered it the other day, but haven't received it yet. Check it out:

[url=http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB798]FIGHT! A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE TREATMENT OF DOG-DOG AGGRESSION
by Jean Donaldson[/url]

The author is fantastic.

Guest Anonymous

I can only wish you the best of luck in both arenas :-)

X is 10 right? As a mom of a 10 year old and a 18 month old GOOD LUCK! I thought the sibling garbage was bad between the 11 year olds and him was bad...it's worse with the 18 month old!

I do wish you lots of luck. Are you going to get Patti fixed (she is the one not fixed right?) I don't know how much help that will be but I know around here my spayed girls don't take to any unfixed dog it is HELL if I have to wait to have a dog fixed.

HUGS and Congrats on the new baby.

You guys have been great to me! Thank you so much for the support! I don't know how I would have gone through this difficult time without all of my friends here on DOGO!
Tammy- X is 10 so it will be a change of pace having a brand new bundle of joy around but he seems pretty excited with a baby brother. Also Patti is not spayed so when I go in tomorrow I am going to talk to the vet about having it down. I can't hold onto Free's bad experience with her spay as an excuse to not have Patti done. This is the 1st step in calming her down.
Again thank you guys so much!

Personally, I think with a new baby coming, it will be very difficult to effectively work with Patti to the extent that she needs.
Ask the vet to run a thyroid panel on her, here is a link to info regarding dominance aggression and low thyroid.
[url]http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&PID=2562[/url]

I agree with the low thyroid check. Also, X, I know you had a bad neutering experience, but I would have the male done as well. Keep them all basically at the same level. You KNOW how exhausting babies can be!!!

I really hope this works out for you! I stress again to have them all neutered. Maybe you're sick of hearing this, but it does help ease a lot of problems training and socialization wise, and in the log run its better medically for the dogs.

Bless you X for trying so hard with these dogs. I have been thinking about Patti and I commend you for caring so much. If Patti is generally a nice dog and is not aggressive to all dogs then it is obviously a heirachy thing and desexing should make life easier.

I too had to keep two dog seperate for at least 8 months. It is difficult until you get into the swing of things and then it becomes automatic.

All dogs in my house are desexed and eventually the two who had the occasional spat became friends. They were together only when I was there to supervise to start with and eventually they learned to ignore eachother or even play together and peace was restored.

Thank you again for sparing Patti's life. Many would give up on the situation and it takes a dedicated and loving dog owner to go the extra yards to save the life of a dog. No one could ask for more.

I wish you the best of luck with Patti.
I myself would never be able to handle having to keep any of my dogs seperate...it would drive me crazy :lol: ...I have to admire some one for being so committed.
Pick up the books rotten2 suggested and seek the help of a certified animal behaviorist who pratices positive training methods. I have also found the NIFIL policy works wonderful in my multie dog house hold.

I took Patti to the vet this past Saturday. She does not have any thyroid issues but she does have other issues :( . Patti has ENTROPION which is the rolling in of the eyelid. She also have a skin disease in which her skin flakes up and is irrated most of the time. I have taken her to the vet for 3 years and for 3 years her eyes teared and the vet never said anything and for 3 years Patti had what I told them was dandruf and nothing was done. Well they gave me ointment for her eyes and antibiotics for her skin. She is being spayed on Friday. Has she had these conditons for the past 3 years?? Awww..

[quote name='Sarahstaff']I don't have a very high opinion of your vet. Entropion is not hard to diagnose.[/quote]

Not to mention an extremely painful and common condition in Rotties. It can cause ulceration of the cornea. Maybe that's why Patty's cranky!

Kiger; Exactly what I was thinking.!!!! I'm wondering if that is why Patti is cranky :-? This vet office has about 3 different vets. Each time the dogs go they are seen by someone new. I just happen to like the one Patti saw because she has delt with the other 2 and is very patient (sp) with them. She took her time to look Patti over and wasn't scared to feel her at all. I asked about her skin and she said many differerent factors like the febreeze I spray on her sofa and dog bed, the doggy colonge I spray on her,frontline, the heat, any thing can cause Patti's skin to flare up. I'm kind of pi$$ed off about the whole eye thing with her.

On any other vet visits when you make an apt. make sure to say you want you apt. with that doctor. That way you will have the one that is comfortable with your dog and the one you like. We did that with our vet there were a few doctors and I had see 2 or 3 different ones and I asked for the one I wanted when I made the apt. I had to do that when we had to have our rotty pts for her hips, she was 11yrs old and hurt so much, I had done everything I could for the 4.5yrs I had her and that was the last thing I could do.... I asked for the real nice lady doctor. Tory liked her and she went to sleep with me holding her head in my lap and me telling her how much I loved her and the doctor peting her and telling her how she would feel much better :cry:
Any way you should beable to do that and get the one you want :lol: