Dogomania

my late night wake up call... 3 month old basset hound

well as of 20 min ago i was asleep as a baby ..then bam my dog starts barking in his crate i know what it is. he needs to use restroom but i didnt make it in time. he did number one in the crate so first thing first i pick raisin up and take him outside in the rain he does hes business "or the rest of it at least" :roll: then i bring him into restroom where i keep hes crate only room i have got beside bedroom..i clean the floor and crate inside with soap and vinager{sp} from what i have read that removes pee smell trace..then i wipe down raisin the ground outside with rain took care of most of the cleaning him...

is there anyway i could handle that better or diffrently ?
ok first i didnt have anything in bottom of the crate should there be?
from what i have read they say you should keep crate empty for first few months so not to distract the puppy..
i know i should walk him more or took away hes water/feeding bowl earlyer .. he walk over 8 block this evening witch in tx heat with no trees he was tired real quick so i carried him half way home..then drink a ton of waterthen tonight befor bed i took him out one more time witch was 4 hours ago..

EDIT:I JUST REALIZED I DID THIS IN HEALTH SO SORRY..

is this the first time raisin has not been able to hold himself thru the night? i suspect not since he is so young. as a general rule pups can hold it for their age in months plus 1 hour. so if raisin is 3 mos you should plan to take him out at the very least every 4 hours or so. of course everydog is different so it can vary.

i don't think you did anything wrong. you took him out before bed, you got up and took him out to finish and i hope you praised like crazy when he peed outside. come in and clean up and start anew. you might think about putting the crate closer to you at night -- maybe right beside your bed. there are a couple reasons to do this 1) dogs like to be near us and 2) the close proximity can allow you to hear the pee whimper much earlier and you can react faster.