Dogomania

Interesting (and sad) story - Viscious Bichons??

ferky1

[url]http://www.nbc10.com/news/3593850/detail.html[/url]

Appears to me like another case of dogs and people suffering because an owner is incapable of exercising any type of control.

[b]Owner Tries To Save Pets From Death Sentence
Two Dogs Allegedly Bit Three People[/b]

UPPER DARBY, Pa. -- Two Bichon Frise dogs in Upper Darby may look cute and cuddly, but a Delaware County judge said their bites are just as bad as their barks and he has ordered them to be put to death.

A judge on Tuesday deemed both dogs vicious and ordered them to be put to sleep after they bit three different people, including two children, in as many months.

Anna Aslanides said she can't imagine life without her precious pets, Perry and Bastille.

"(The judge) wants to kill the dogs. He can kill us, me and my daughter together. He can kill us too," Aslanides said.

Megan Reilly, 14, almost had to go through a series of rabies shots after one of the dogs bit her in April.

"It bit right through my sock," Reilly remembers. "I was just walking. I didn't provoke them in any way and it looked like they were running behind me the other way, and they just came up behind me and bit me."

Reilly still has a visible scar from the three puncture wounds and had to have an X-ray to make sure there were no remnants of the dog's tooth still imbedded in her leg.

She almost had to get a series of painful rabies shots because her mother, Kathleen Reilly, said it took a week of phone calls and faxes to the police and health department to determine if the dogs were vaccinated. Reilly said the owner never responded.

"I had to protect my child. I know the chance of the dogs having rabies was possibly low, but the fact that she wasn't responding to anybody had me thinking that perhaps these dogs weren't up on their immunizations and I can't take that chance with my child," Reilly said.

Megan Reilly wasn't alone. Two other people, including an 11-year-old boy, were bitten in the months following her reported attack. The law in Upper Darby says after three bites, a dog must be destroyed.

"It does not matter what kind of dog, if there are three bites it can be considered vicious," said Jim Maloney of the Upper Darby Health Department.

Aslanides' mother said their dogs are not vicious. She said the family has hired an attorney and is not going to lose Perry and Bastille without a fight.

The township said the appeals process could take several months, during which if the two dogs were ever outside, they would have to be on a leash and muzzled. If the appeal fails, the dogs will be put to sleep, by order of the court.

Copyright 2004 by NBC10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Stupid woman! I hate to see dogs being killed because owners are so stupid. She is showing no remorse for the people her dogs bit. If I thought for a minute my dogs would bite someone they wouldn't be allowed anywhere near people. Idiot. I always feel sorry for the dogs in these situation they are just being dogs it's the people that are causing these problems.

Guest Anonymous

And the number one reason that I dislike little dogs! The OWNERS!

All but one of my dogs is no less than 35 pounds. I hate going to Petsmart and having some little yip on the end of a flexi!

I feel bad for those who were bitten by her dogs and you know just as well as I do if she gets to keep the dogs it WILL happen again!

what the hell were they doing running loose in the first place? if nothing else, they could possibly get her on leash laws....

people are just stupid. Just because the dog is small, and the bites less radical, doesnt mean it doesnt hurt the bitten person, and cause scarring....

ggrrrrrrr....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

People with big dogs let their dogs free too. It's no different just because they are small. I am sorry but it always gets me when people say this is why I dislike small dogs because of the owners. To say that you dislike entire breeds is no different then people saying they dislike Pit bulls or Boxers because of the owners. Each dog is an individual and I can't say there is any breed I dislike. I also have to add that I am surprised at the small amount of responses to this thread. If this had been a pit bull there would be tons of responses about how terrible it is that the dogs are being put to sleep because of the actions of the irresponsible owners. And I might add suspicion that the children might have provoked the attack.

I hate to disagree (actually, no I dont) but NO dog, big or small, should be allowed to run free. unles its in an area where dogs running free is allowed.
this dog should have been leashed. I dont care thats its small. however, the media will always make a bigger deal out of a "big" dog running loose.
bigger bites, bigger scars. more damage. why should little out of control dogs be given a bigger break? they should ALL be CONTAINED!!

:evil:

[quote]The township said the appeals process could take several months, during which if the two dogs were ever outside, they would have to be on a leash and muzzled. If the appeal fails, the dogs will be put to sleep, by order of the court.
[/quote]

As a Pit Bull owner I feel that all breeds should have to be held to the same standard as mine. I don't think that little dogs should get a free pass, sorry.

I share a house with my sister, who owns a Bichon and I have a Pit Bull.
My dog is always leashed and has never shown any aggression toward a person or an animal. Her Bichon bites people and we have had many disagreements about him being loose in the front yard.

Although I prefer larger dogs I've owned small ones too and would never let them run loose.

I just find that some small dog owners think that they have little people in fur coats. :roll:

Dee

Thank you, Dee! You got to it before me... pits are NEVER given a chance but yet this dog after THREE bites is still being determined whether or not its going to be PTS!!! :roll: :x

And Cairn6 I HIGHLY doubt this dog was provoked THREE times!!! Come on now! And its not fair to be putting down pit bull people on here! :evil:
I dont like MOST small dogs either to be honest and it is mostly because of the owners. Im sorry if youre offended by my OPINION but thats all it is, my thought.

Lets face it a lot of small dogs get away with lots of things just because of their size. Let me make it clear that I know its all because of IRRESPONSIBLE owners, I DO know that, so dont throw that in my face.

This situation, like with most dog bites, couldve been avoided!!! Thats all I was going to say in the first place but then I saw the other posts... couldnt help myself. I need to get some self-control sometime...

[quote name='courtnek']I hate to disagree (actually, no I dont) but NO dog, big or small, should be allowed to run free. unles its in an area where dogs running free is allowed.
this dog should have been leashed. I dont care thats its small. however, the media will always make a bigger deal out of a "big" dog running loose.
bigger bites, bigger scars. more damage. why should little out of control dogs be given a bigger break? they should ALL be CONTAINED!!

:evil:[/quote]
We don't disagree at all. That is exactly the way I feel. I wasn't talking about the media I was talking about some of the attitudes here on Dogo. You were one of the few who actually posted in response to the deaths of these little dogs. I am very angry that the actions of this idiotic woman resulted in the possible deaths of these little dogs. Of course they should all be contained did I say otherwise.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']Thank you, Dee! You got to it before me... pits are NEVER given a chance but yet this dog after THREE bites is still being determined whether or not its going to be PTS!!! :roll: :x

And Cairn6 I HIGHLY doubt this dog was provoked THREE times!!! Come on now! And its not fair to be putting down pit bull people on here! :evil:
I dont like MOST small dogs either to be honest and it is mostly because of the owners. Im sorry if youre offended by my OPINION but thats all it is, my thought.

Lets face it a lot of small dogs get away with lots of things just because of their size. Let me make it clear that I know its all because of IRRESPONSIBLE owners, I DO know that, so dont throw that in my face.

This situation, like with most dog bites, couldve been avoided!!! Thats all I was going to say in the first place but then I saw the other posts... couldnt help myself. I need to get some self-control sometime...[/quote]
Once again I agree and I don't for a minute think that the dogs were provoked. I was simply saying that each time there is an attack by a large dog someone makes a point to suggest that perhaps the child provoked the dog. Of course you have your opinion but I have seen the "opinion" of people who don't care for pit bulls shredded to pieces on here. All I am saying is just because pit bulls get a bad rap doesn't automatically mean that all small dogs shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt also. Until I made this post about the way people here feel about small dogs very few even bothered to care what happened to these little bichons. Just because you don't care for the breed doesn't mean they deserve to die. I don't think this owner should be allowed to have the dogs but that doesn't mean the dogs should be put to sleep.

The fact of the matter is that most likely if put in an adult home with a person who won't let them loose these dogs won't be a problem. This woman is not being harmed for her actions the dogs are and it's not right. I guess I am a little miffed that just because they are little white dogs no one here seems to care. If this were a pit story people here would be outraged. It's not fair the way large dogs are protrayed by the media but what does that have to do with these little dogs. Nothing it's not there fault people are idiots.

[quote name='Cairn6']I was simply saying that each time there is an attack by a large dog someone makes a point to suggest that perhaps the child provoked the dog. Of course you have your opinion but I have seen the "opinion" of people who don't care for pit bulls shredded to pieces on here. All I am saying is just because pit bulls get a bad rap doesn't automatically mean that all small dogs shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt also.

I guess I am a little miffed that just because they are little white dogs no one here seems to care. If this were a pit story people here would be outraged. It's not fair the way large dogs are protrayed by the media but what does that have to do with these little dogs. Nothing it's not there fault people are idiots.[/quote]

Actually, I agree.

I hope that I didn't come across as disliking small dogs because that's not the case at all! My Affenpinscher was one of the coolest dogs I ever had. :D

I dislike owners who don't control their dogs and as I said in my other post....think they're little people in fur suits that can run amok.

That being said, I guess I'm really tired of Pit Bulls being the target of such hatred. That's why we owners become outraged.

I absolutely feel for the dogs, as I would for any other breed or mutt.

Dee

ok lets all think a minute. I dont think the people posting about small dogs being irritating sometimes (usually because their owners think it's cute) or about big dogs being better, or any of that. we all agree the owner of these dogs should not get them back. I personally feel she should have to pay an outrageous fine to get them back, outrageous enough to make her think before letting her dogs run loose. Personally, I think they should be
rehomed. I dont want to see them die, but I doubt anyone would be willing to have them after three bites. And I dont think she should get them back, because I dont think she will change her ways. and I dont think any fine they give her would be high enough to make her change.

As far as people not getting outraged about it, it's not because they are small dogs, its because there isnt any laws, or community outrage, and media hype about getting rid of ALL Bichon's.....If there was I can guarantee you'd find people here in full voice.

Yes all dogs should be held to the same standards.

Any dog (Pit Bull, Bichon, Lab, Chi, Doberman, whatever) that has bitten someone 3 times should be put to sleep because they are dangerous.

Rehoming should not even be an option when there are so many good tempered dogs that need homes.

[quote name='sashagirl'][quote name='courtnek']As far as people not getting outraged about it, it's not because they are small dogs, its because there isnt any laws, or community outrage, and media hype about getting rid of ALL Bichon's.....If there was I can guarantee you'd find people here in full voice.[/quote]

Thank you court... This is exactly it... Whenever there is a pit bull in the news, all of the sudden they are ALL monstersm, and should be banned. That is why the pit bull community gets their backs up.

[/quote]

My perception and what I agree with Cairn about is that it's not necessarily about holding any kind of dog to a higher standard. As much as I love smaller dogs and especially little dogs with "attitude" (not meaning aggressive... meaning more like terriers), I am the absolute, without a doubt, outspoken so'n'so to come forward and rage about irresponsible ownership. I absolutely LOATHE it when small dog owners think aggression is "cute."

However, here's what I think got to Cairn and here's what I agree with... had this story been reversed and there had been Pit Bulls, many of the Pit Bull crowd would have come forward and cried foul by implying or outright saying that the dogs were probably provoked, that the people did something to the dogs somehow, but when it's a smaller dog, it's automatically assumed that ALL little dogs are nasty little ankle biters. I'm all for responsible dog ownership for ALL dogs. When it's a targeted breed, I have seen here where some people make excuse after excuse for what is to me unacceptable behavior for ANY dog. When it's a targeted breed, I see so many bad behaviors excused away as people "misunderstanding" and people seem to be willing to accept much more in rehabilitation of these dogs or their behavior than a smaller dog which is just "spoiled." I know how it must suck to be the target of so much discrimination. I've been there and still sort of am. I had a Pit Bull(ish) and have a Doberman that some people avoid like the plague, nevermind that he can't even walk. I know the discrimination. However, similar outrage that you feel when people say "see?? that's why I don't like Pit Bulls!! They'are all dangerous!!" is the same frustration many others feel when someone says "see?? that's why I hate all small dogs!! They're all nasty!!"

I know that no one is trying to ban small dogs as yet, but it does kind of bug me a little that some of the same people who are so much victims of discrimination are often the very same ones who discriminate. I'd like to think we're all on the same side.

My whole point (though long and drawn out it is :oops: ) is that I understand both sides of the debate and am totally objective. It shouldn't be "us against them." I'd love to see smaller dogs held to the same standards as larger ones, but I'd also like to see less excuses made when a particular dog of a targeted breed is indeed "bad." There is no excuse for aggression in ANY dog and it often is the owners who ruin them either by dismissing it as cute in smaller dogs, or brushing it off as cool in larger ones.

I think Kendalyn summed it up nicely:
[quote]Yes all dogs should be held to the same standards.

Any dog (Pit Bull, Bichon, Lab, Chi, Doberman, whatever) that has bitten someone 3 times should be put to sleep because they are dangerous.

Rehoming should not even be an option when there are so many good tempered dogs that need homes.[/quote]

I also must honestly admit that I don't believe a word of this:
[quote]and media hype about getting rid of ALL Bichon's.....If there was I can guarantee you'd find people here in full voice.[/quote]

I am not calling it a lie (never, court!), but I'd almost be willing to bet that if that were the scenario, I'd see more posts here from some bitter souls who would think it's "fair" since they've been targeted so long than calls for letter writing campaigns. Who's to say that in the not too far off future some of the more frustrated "little ankle biter" haters DON'T start some kind of push to get rid of them? Many years ago, wouldn't that have seemed just as ludicrous for Pit Bulls since they were once America's sweethearts? Discrimination in ANY form is not good and I just think it's wrong to "hate" one thing just because you've been unfairly targeted in another. While I am not a Pit Bull person, I'd NEVER advocate getting rid of them. I have indeed written letters, talked to people, tried to be a voice just because I believe in their right to exist even if I don't want another one. I guess that's why it's kind of frustrating to hear some of the same "little dog" garbage over and over. Don't like them, fine, but please stop perpetuating the myths that they are all little bastards who would like nothing more than to tear your ankles from under you. It's surprising some of the dogs that are on some ban lists now and it's not so far fetched that "little ankle biters" could in the future make it there due to the same ignorance that has people thinking all Pits are vicious. Since there are those who would like to see an end to ALL pet ownership and are strongly pushing for it one step (or breed) at a time, the dog loving community needs to be working together rather than take an "us against them" attitude.

Uh, the "you" in the last few sentences was not directed at anyone in particular... just John Q. Public in general.

[quote name='sashagirl']:-? I can honestly say without a doubt that if I heard legislation for ANY breed large or small, I would be ALL over it... Take that for what you will... BSL is not good for ANY breed... Because if they see that they can get away with it, it's only a matter of time when we can't own anything...

For some reason it sounds like a lot of people are arguing when really I think we all agree here... Honestly, I don't know what to say, because I agree with everything said here... My head is spinning, I am going to lie down now. (Shhh, don't tell my boss)[/quote]

It's not an argument. In my long drawn out dramatic fashion (since I have so much time to kill :P ), I was agreeing with Cairn. I think most of us are on the same team. My post was not directed at anyone in particular. It was just general observations. :D

Lying down... your head hurt again? :(

[quote]And the number one reason that I dislike little dogs! The OWNERS![/quote]
hmmmmmmmmm, but i have a little dog and 2 medium dogs. So-do you like me or dislike me????
My little dog runs and keeps up with the big dogs. He goes fishing in the river, why everytime my child catches a fish, i know, because LITTLE dog barks!
and the number one reason i dislike the the big dogs, the owners!!!

ah noooooooo, of course i didnt mean that, that sounds pretty stupid if you ask me. Love the big dogs, love the little dogs, not so sure about some of the owners though!