Dogomania

Health question - Papaloma?

ferky1

I know this probably belongs in the Health section, but more people see it here in the Everything section.

Miles' best friend, an overweight pug named Gabby, has sores on her mouth and lips. The vet diagnosed them as Papaloma or Fiber Papaloma and said that there isn't any medication they can give and they aren't contageous. In Gabby's, and the vet's, defense, Gabby sees lots of dogs during the average week and no other dog has picked up anything. Miles is supposed to go over for a playdate tomorrow (the first time since the appearence of these THINGS). No one seems concerned but me, but I can't find any information on the internet.

Does anyone know anything about this? Would you let your dog go play?

Edited to say that I have been informed that the formal name is Fibropapilloma. Still can't find any useful info though.

:o [color=red]I looked up the spelling you gave at the bottom and it has something to do with Sea Turtles and Mountain Lions.........mostly Sea Turtles.
This is one of many articles I found using Google.....[/color]
A serious threat to green sea turtle populations is Fibropapilloma, a contagious, fatal illness affecting green turtles worldwide, but particularly those off the coast of Florida and Hawaii. Fibropapilloma causes bulbous tumors to grow on the soft tissue of the body and on vital internal organs; these tumors spread until they eventually cover the turtle's entire body, and the animal dies.

The cause of Fibropapilloma is unknown, although researchers suspect marine pollution, a virus, or parasites. Green sea turtles in Hawaii have suffered from Fibropapilloma since the1980s, but its prevalence has greatly increased in recent years. In some areas, such as Florida's Indian River, nearly 50% of the green turtle population has been infected with Fibropapilloma. :(

[color=red]This is from another article.....[/color]
Scientists at the University of Florida are struggling to answer some of the many scientific questions of these turtle diseases. After many years of research they have found that the [color=darkred]most likely agent of fibropapilloma is a herpesvirus[/color], but the virus has not yet been isolated for study. :o

I remember back in the day when I wanted to be just like James Herriot, I was reading one of his books and his beagle, Dinah, had a papilloma on her lip. Although he knew they were harmless and he usually whipped them off his *patients* without a second thought, because it was his *own* dog (and we know how precious we are about our own pets!!), he panicked and took her to the vet in the nearby town who had a fantastic reputation with small animals.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19']
BTW: When doing a search I find it most handy to ask Jeeves... [url]www.ask.com[/url][/color][/b][/quote]

Thanks Divine :D !! I used Google and all they had was things about Sea Turtles.......nothing about dogs with FP :(
I'll have to see about using that Ask Jeeves. :wink: