Dogomania

Pit bull markings

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My sister says she bought a pit bull.But I don't think her puppy is all pit bull.I was wondering if there are any distinctive features that i could go by to tell?

Here is a description from a dog breed book.

Ears set high, can be cropped or uncropped, uncropped ears should be a half rose or prick

Head is broad, pronounced cheek muscles, has distinct stop.

Back is fairly short, sloping slightly to rear.

Tail short but not docked (to me their tails look kinda like a water pump handle)

Forelegs set wide, straight

Color: any solid or partial color, but more than 80% white, black and tan, or liver are less preferred. (most of the Pit Terriers I've seen have white markings on mainly their legs/feet, chest/neck, and face.)

They also have a springy gait, most are agile and stocky. They have a very short coat and almost almond shaped eyes. Their eyes are fairly small in size and some Pits even have green or gold eyes.

Most Pit Terriers have a few wrinkles on their forehead area esp. when their ears are up 'in attention'.

Hope this helps somewhat. :P

Nowadays...you can never tell. It depends on if she bought it from a good breeder (with show or working lines) or a bad one. With a good breeder, there are many set standards you can go by like the ones mentioned above. With a poor breeder...you can never tell. Pit bulls are extremely popular today with the wrong types of people and breeders so looks can vary. Just because it doesn't have a big head or a muscular body doesn't make it a pit bull. I've seen many APBTs range from tiny (I rescued a purebred male APBT who was only 35lbs) to huge (100+).

• 1 month later...

oh..lol guess I need to pay attention to dates. I'm still new here, but its a great site. Too bad then, I wanted to see pics of a cute pup.

I've never seen a Pit Bull that weighed 100+, but I do own a not tiny 35lbs female, but I did meet a tiny, Pit Bull. She was so itty bitty, I thought she was a pup at first. Until I got close enough to see she was the size of a pup close to 20lbs, but you could tell she was mature. I think she took Most Weight Pull Per Body Lbs I think it was her first show too!, they said she was getting ahead of her dad (I think was 30 or so lbs) though who was in the ACE class and think may have took Most Weight Pulled. Who knows they had several trohpies, but I was kind of upset with myself for not getting a pic, this dog was tiny, maybe we'll meet up at another show and I'll get a pic then, you could just pick up up and carry her around or stick her in your purse like a Yorkie. It ends up the owner makes harnesses and was the one who made one for the breeder of my 35lbs female, for her dam actually. Ok enough rambling if I get the pic I'll be sure to share it.