Dogomania

Object Lesson on Recall

DogPaddle

As some of you may know I was working on obedience with the boys so we could start agility. I was worried about recall in paticular.
Well, I now know, fairly conclusively that Kavik's recall is good.
We were at the park, Kavik was retrieving, Zaphod was playing - he so loves to harrass the little black and white, fluffy, kong obsessed one. Anyway a distraction presented itself and the boys immediately set off after the critter. I guess Zaphod was paticularly interested because it was also black and white and fluffy . . .
Kavik responded to an emphatic recall and Zaphod . . . learned a valuable lesson.

It got him only in the eyes, mouth and nose but it still took two tins of tomatoe juice and an hour to get rid of half the smell.
:lol:

See, I'd bet there's a market for well trained, well placed skunks in the realm of dogger training world. What better recall reinforcer could there be? The dog breaks loose, chases diversion, doesn't answer recall, professionally trained skunk, who was in a sit/stay until set loose to "test" the dog, delivers the reinforcer, dog comes racing back. Perfect!

Poor feller getting skunked and your poor olfactory senses. Oh well, you couldn't pay for a more valuable lesson. Some of the best lessons are free (and priceless)! 8)

HF I was just thinking that!! that's too funny!! after the skunk has been trained to warn off dogs not responding to recall, then it could be trained to stop animal aggression too....Does a skunk even have natural enemies?

I'll have to look that up....

:lol: :lol:

sorry about your dog. My malamute mix got skunked twice (not from failing recall, the skink was in my yard. The irony was this dog had perfect recall) and I did the tomato juice wash too. that's just a RANCID smell....

Striped Skunk

Mephitis mephitis
Skunks are more well known to most Canadians by reputation than first-hand experience. The animal’s best known feature is, of course, its ability to discharge twin streams of musky fluid from the anal orifice. It does this with uncanny accuracy when it feels threatened.
Skunks are primarily nocturnal and have few natural enemies, the chief being the great horned owl. Other carnivores avoid them unless desperate for food.
There is a popular notion that skunks cannot eject their musk if they are lifted off the ground by the tail. This is untrue.

[quote] There is a popular notion that skunks cannot eject their musk if they are lifted off the ground by the tail. This is untrue.[/quote]

See skunks could teach another lesson here :lol:
My brother once thought that baby skunks could not spray, the wee skunk taught him too.

Zaphod still smells slightly skunky, I think I may take him to a groomer to finish off the job as he needs his nails done anyway (I hate doing them, they're all black.)

Thank God we haven't ran into a skunk. Toto would have surely been spayed a half dozen times by now. If I ever meet a cairn terrier owner who has taught there dog a good recall then I will bow down to them and worship at their feet as the god of dog training. I have 3 adult dogs two are wonderful one is a border terrier mix and the other is my grandma's chihuahua they have almost recall. But long after you have called them all in Toto is still going after his prey to the death. Even if sometimes the prey is simply a leaf blowing in the wind. :lol: But life is a joy for him and that's what is important and making sure he is never off leash.

Hailey got loose and got skunked, didn't help her recall a bit, :lol: I hate to say this but she stunk like skunk every time she got wet for about 1 year! I didn't do the tomatoe juice thing, but a vet told me to mix baking soda and something else, hydrogen peroxide?, with dawn dish soap......worked after about 4 baths!!!! Happened right in the middle of a move last summer!