Dogomania

beagle on last days!!!!!!!!!! i need some info fast

CKMILK

when i was going to spend time with the puppy beagle i adopted at the pound I saw her. she is on her last days. she is only 6 months old a corgi beagle mix she is 15 #. so i wanted to know do you think she will get along with the puppy?? has anybody adopted 2 dogs at once?? i called and they wont put her to sleep in the morning. friday was her day to be put down. that is tommarow!!! said her family gave her up cause of allergies. she is great with kids as they had kids. she is housebroken as well. help cause i need to know so i can save her life!!!! i have a pic of her but dont know how to put it on here????[/url]

here is how you can see a pic of her and read what she is about.

[url]http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3159499&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=410069f342da65e9-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=[/url]

her name is pepsi please she is gonna die if i dont help her????

CK did yu spend any time with her? determine temperament? socialability?
People dont often tell the truth when they drop dogs off at the shelter.....

Will they let you take her and your beagle pup out together, to get an idea how she reacts, and how they get on? maybe put her on a lead and take one of your kids, see how she reacts to children while under control?

yu need to be careful. I know you feel for this pup, but you need to do the basic "troubleshooting" first, to determine if she would be good for your family, and your beagle pup....

the pound said she was good with them and kids. they also said she was keeping cage clean and was housebroken. ill see tommarow if they will let me see what she does when the puppy is out with her. well if it dont work with me i was telling my dad about her and he is intrested. so i think he may get her if i dont. that may be a better idea and my puppy can play with her then. well thanks just trying to save a life, also i will see how she acts around my kids.

Take them both out on neutral territory and see how they get along. What you could do first is to find a ball field and let them meet with a fence in between them to see how they react. What I did with my Rottie (which is dog aggressive) when I first introduced her to my newest rescue Beau (Dobie mix) was to put a basket muzzle on my Rottie and I let them loose on neutral territory. When Athena did not put on any of her dominance stances and they had finished sniffing each other over then started to play...I took off the basket muzzle and took it from there. They have been best buddies ever since. I never worry about bringing any new dog home to my Newf's, they are so laid back they would accept ANY dog.
The reason I did not introduce my Rottie to Beau through a fence is due to her being fence aggressive, this would have esculated her tension towards Beau and they may never have gotten along.

I think its a joy to have 2 dogs, they keep each other occupied and they wear each other out. Just make sure they have their own "areas" to get away from each other.

You should read up on resource guarding, practice the nothing is free in life policy, and take them both to obedience classes.

You might want to take an experienced dog person along with you when you first introduce the dogs. This way they can watch the dogs body language to see how they are interacting.
Good luck :wink:

great news the beagle was adopted!!!!! i went to pound in the morning and some lady was already looking at her. she adopted her!!! :D I know that i probubly whould have got her but at least she was saved!! so it was a good day today. PEPSI found a home!!! yeah!!! well after the one post about the two females fighting maybe it was better i didnt get her. i am just glad she was saved. we will just get our puppy and love her to pieces!! she is getting fixed on monday and we will bring her home on tuesday!! I cant wait!!! she already giving kisses!!!

I am glad Pepsi found a home, that is wonderful.

[quote]well after the one post about the two females fighting maybe it was better i didnt get her. [/quote]
Fighting amoung dogs can be avoided and can be prevented in most cases (depending on the breed). I have always had a multi dog house hold with intact males and intact females all kept together at all times. I have never had any problems with dog fights. All of my dogs know their place and I have the NIFIL policy in place. Currently I have 3 females (1 which is not spayed) and 3 males (2 which are intact, 1 neutered) I have never had a problems with any of these dogs fighting. They sleep together, live together and are never seperated. Except when my bitch comes into heat of course :wink: then she goes back to the kennel.

[quote]I am just curious Cassie but why don't you have them all spayed and neutered? Are you breeding them?[/quote]
Cairn6, all of my friends are reputable breeders. Over the years my friends have always placed their top quality show dogs with me. They are still bred occasionally. Acutally with my current Newfoundland dogs my oldest bitch Cassie was just signed over to me at the age of 5...at this time I am legally allowed to have them spayed (which the breeder pays for :wink: ) but, until that time none of my purebred Newfoundlands legally belong to me. For instance my boy Gil, his father is Josh the Newf that just won the Westminister dog show...he is co-owned by 2 breeders. Same with Dilon and Tori...they are co-owned by 2 breeders and I am their "agent"....or just the person who loves them and takes them for hikes :wink:
So in other words, I have 4 Newfoundland dogs at home, one which belongs to me which is spayed...the other 3 belong to the breeder...why do I do it? I get 4 Newfoundland dogs for free, their food is paid for by the breeder, their vet bills are all paid for by the breeder, obedience lessons are all paid for by the breeder, when I was working on getting my CD obedience titles on my Newf's all entry fees for the shows were paid for by the breeder. When they are no longer used for breeding they are signed over to me and spayed/neutered by the breeder.
My Rottie and Dobie mix are rescues and I had both of these dogs spayed and neutered as soon as I could. Athena was spayed 2 days after I adopted her and Beau; where he was malnourished and not healthy enough to have neutered right away was done after I had him for 3 months...I had him to the vet every week for wellness checks to ensure he was healthy enough to go under anesthesia.

So thats my story. I have never paid any money to purchase a dog in my life...I am very fortunate to have friends willing to give me their "best" dogs. The only down fall is when my bitch is bred she goes back to the breeders to whelp. Show season can also be stressful as my dogs are being hauled off to dog shows. All of my dogs are champions in 3 countries, but, the breeder likes to take them past their championship titles and is currently working on specializing the boys.