Dogomania

grrr...back to step one..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well i had talked about a week ago to a breeder of Aussies. My freind got her aussie from there and said to get incontact with them. he's a prof. dog trainer of 25 years.. I contacted him about the issues with cody, he said he didnt' need to see me since it was down in portland ( about a 2 hours drive.. i would have driven, doesn't bother me or cody! )
he gave me things to do with cody over the phone. I started to to them and Cody has now put up a brick wall with training... he won't do his commands anymore i have to tell him over and over again to do it. I had his leashed to me and he stopped moving he would sit there like a ton of bricks i would kinda walka few steps forcing himt o come and he'd sit and then i'd tell him to come and he'd close his eyes! :roll: ugh! deaf dogs kill me sometimes! i have NO clue why all the sudden cody has forgeoten all he knows.. maybe it's his age. who knows but i'm contacting the breeder today and seeing if i can get a one on one this weekend with him.. any suggestions as to why he woudl do this?

Well, he could just be in a learning block.. Or he knows something you don't. Maybe he doesn't want to walk with you? Maybe he's sensing something about you that is different. It could be you and your hubbies stress with the Iraq thing.. or it could be that you're trying to get pregnant. it could be anything.

Guest Anonymous

that is the reason i was told to bout him attached to my belt, so if another dog came he could not sense my reaction , he said it was ptoblaly me sending the wrong signals to him...

well, just a thought. I know Justin is leaving and you are making preparations for that. I can only surmise that this is frightening you a little.
Iraq is not a pretty place to be right now....

Cody may feel that. You may think you are hiding it well, but they can sense things we cant. It may have thrown him off track a little. little upsets like that can mean a great deal to a dog. if he senses your stress, and Justins stress, he may be reacting to that. dogs and cats dont like big changes. it upsets their routines. and especially if the change is causing stress to his people.

Guest Anonymous

That is what Richard said to do with Cody... forgive me this will be long i took a whole page of little itty bitty notes while on the phone.. here it goes.....
To start off in side the home work off lead with cody and get him to learn to do a heal/walk with no leash... capture the second he gets in to possition, light/treat.
When he's doing well on that move up the distractions.. and when he's at 80% take it out back in the yard since it's fenced in, keep him off lead. ( he said he thinks Cody just doesn't know what to do when he's attached to me.. )
-Teach cody to walk on my left in heal posstion w/o lead when we get to adding the lead hold it in the right hand with my hand in my pocket.
- start sessions out each time with light/treat about 4-5 times so he knows that light=treats
- start walking with treats in one hand light in the other so i can caputer the second he does it and reward him, everytime he's inthe possistion i want him to be in w/o lead flash/treat
as soon as he breaks the heal/walk stop and wait for him to return to the correct possition flash/treat
- once he is 80% move outside and insdie with distractions add the leash no GL just flat collar again, hand in pocket with leash and work on right turns first keeping him in possition, workign to left turns.
-slowly taket his out side of the yard, if he moves out of possition, don't do anything wait for him to come back..when he pulls a head stop and *I* become the log, wait for him to return flash/treat.
-start out basic commands (gasp)WITH NO HAND SIGNALS... this is the "Capture and shape" way ..
-start out with light and treats wait until he sits down at free will flash/treat ( tried this.. holy cow, 3 mins later and half a sleep he will decide to sit.. but then he is looking around for the light saying "more please" )
-AS SOON as he sits flash/treat and drop the treat in front of him so he has to break the sit , then when he sits again flash/treat.
-once he has grasped the concept after a while and very good at it, THEN give it a signal ( this will be hard for me to do )
-Richard also said it sounds as though Cody doesn't take Direction , and he's never heard of a dog just turnign in to a bump on a log.. and he laughed so loud at that..

Cody is doing good now.. not beng tied to me has helped, and we will sork up to that and ten go on with the dog issues.. and i plan on seeing Richard within the month.. cody and i will drive down the 3h ours to spend the day with him for a total one on one.. i'll lkeep you all uodated how it goes