Dogomania

Human Health Advisor Advocating Beneful as Dog Healthfood

DogPaddle

Does anyone know Bodybreak? The have little public information clips that run all the time here with two noted and recognizable Health culture figures here. The usually have really excellent health, diet, recipe, exceicise and lifestyle advice and their clips are like public service ads. Yesterday they had one I had not seen. It indicated pet diet and health were important too but they only indicated that healthy pet food has a balance of carbs/protien/fat and that the percentages should be listed on the bag. ALL PET FOODS HAVE THAT HERE AND THE PERCENTAGES ARE OFTEN MISLEADING DUE TO INDIGESTABLE/UNUSABLE PROTEINS! Not only that they pictured Beneful by Purina in the clip and have an ad for it on their site. In my opinion Beneful is on the same calibre as Michelenas or KD with a pit of peas and carrots thrown in. It has corn - as the first ingredient, by-products, salt, suger . . . I think I posted the ingredients here before, I'll try to get them again.
I was so frustrated. They are so accepted here that people are just going to believe them without proper research. I emailed them but have not got a response yet. Will keep you posted.

Wow...I haven't seen Bodybreak since I moved out of London! That big muscular woman always terrified me :lol: (is she still on there?). I don't think we get it down here in the States.
You're right though...it usually has pretty useful health tips, but that dog food info is BAD...they must be getting sponsorship from Purina...ughhh
Let us know if you get a response!

They are getting money from Purina, Purina had some link to them on one of their event sites - they were guest speaking at some event I think.

Anyway here are the Beneful Ingredients - this is what they think health food for dogs is:
Ingredients
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
F-4090
I tend to disagree. It is dog food and it is sadly fairly typical but IMO it hardly qualifies as a healthy diet.

beneful is one of the most atrocious scams in the pet food industry.

it really makes me sad when i hear how many people actually think they are doing their dog a favor by feeding that stuff.

the funny thing is that the price per bag seems really low, but on a comparison of daily feeding cost on a one-year basis, beneful is over 10% more expensive than canidae.

but that's not the worst. science diet is about 60% more expensive compared to canidae.

[quote name='DogPaddle']BTW Smooshie: Why would you go leaving good ol humid, smoggy London or slushy cold London for "The Beach?" :lol:[/quote]

LOL...believe it or not, I miss London....especially this time of year when its unbearably hot here in Florida. The Humidity up there is NOTHING compared to here :-? , besides, I could really use a Tim Horton's coffee and a stroll down Richmond Row right now :wink:

Of course there ARE benefits to being down here in the Sunshine State too.......The gulf of Mexico is a MUCH better beach than Grand Bend :evilbat:

TDG...those Science Diet stats are horrendous! 60% more expensive than Canidae over the course of a year??? I hate that my vet pushes that crap :x

i have never herd fo this dog food. i am in the states and i would like to know if it is avalible here? i always here good things about it on this site. if it is not are these dog foods good? we have fed these befor
diamond
iams ( dont like this anymore cause of the things they do( peta site)
pro plan
pedigree
purina one

Canidae is available all over North America. It is not sold in grocery stores or pet values usually. It will be sold in pet specialty stores. This is their website [url]http://www.canidae.com[/url] they have a store locator link on the left side.
The foods you have listed are better than the 'Ol Roy class of dog foods but you can feed a better food for the same price or cheaper.
The foods you may want to look at are Canidae, Solid Gold, Flint River, Wellness, Wysong and Innova. I'm sure there are others but you'll get an idea from those. Canidae does work out to be the cheapest and is a really good food. When you research cost keep in mind that the amount you feed per day is really important. For quality avoid foods with byproduct, salt, suger, unidentified meat fish or poultry sources, corn, foods without proteins in the top ingredient(s) and foods with a lot of ingredient splitting. I'll try to find old threads on this for you a bit later.

Can you believe my VET is going to start carrying Canidae?? He's always sold Purina Pro Plan and such (and still will), but is FINALLY caving in to my pleas and nagging and has agreed to stock Canidae. That's IF he can get the company to contact him back. He called them and was apparently blown off (his story). I'm trying to act as the go-between. I SOOOOOOO hope it works out that he carries it since my supplier is less than reliable and I never know if I'm going to be able to get it, or not. :-?

Anyway, I'm just thrilled that my vet is at least willing to carry Canidae. :D

Yunno... what's REALLY funny is that I sometimes have to remember that my vet is a MAN above all else.

Let me 'splain... :-?

Apparently, just today, he was contacted by whomever it is in charge of the Canidae distribution for our area (I fired off an email to the company last night and all but begged them to contact him again.... dunno if it was timing, or if someone did, but...).

Soooooooo he gets me into his office today and shows me the catalogue thingy with the prices (only wish I could get it wholesale... about $15 per 40 lb bag... maybe we can barter... hmmm) and the different foods available. As it turns out, he'd had the catalogue a while and didn't open it until the company called him today (what a turd for making me think they'd just blown him off :x ). NOW, after all this time, he starts asking me what I think is so good about the food, is it REALLY all that good, yadda, blah and so forth. Look, I'll say anything just to get him to carry it so I don't have to wonder from week to week if my regular supplier is going to have it. As it turns out, yeah, I like it pretty good (ok, well, so do the dogs).

Here's where the "man" took over the vet... "hey, maybe I should consider suggesting this stuff for those dogs with allergies and itchy skin..."

Geez, wish [u]I'd[/u] thought of that. And like the woman I am, I let him think it was his idea and gave him a virtual pat on the back for being smart enough to think of it since that's why they pay him the big bucks. :o

He's getting ready to order. I'm (I mean HE'S) going to be getting Felidae, too!! :D

I wonder if maybe he SHOULD sell to me at the wholesale price since I'm going to be the primary one who will be push push pushing people to buy this food (only because I want it to sell, so he'll continue to stock it and *I* can get it :oops: ). We're gonna have to work out a deal. :o

*does the happy dance*

Oh, so sorry to hijack yer thread. To return to the topic, at least I've never heard him recommend Beneful. Icky! Poo! Nasty!
:oops:

HF, of course you should get the Canidae dog food at whole sale price :wink: heck, why would the Vet "let" you see the whole sale price and then charge you an arm and a leg...that IMO is considered teasing :wink: :lol:

DogPaddle, yes I do watch body break...thats that 1 minute health program they air between other programs..is it the same one???

Any way, let me tell you a little story about commerial advertisers and big corporations...they are probably paying BIG bucks to have their dog food aired on TV even for that second of a minute. Even in movies and sitcoms if they happen to be drinking a cola with the product name showing such as Coke or Pepsi...that corporation is paying big bucks to have their product shown. Money is what influences people on such shows...even unfortunately body break...they probably received a big fat pay cheque to sponsor the product.

Even with alot of dog breeders and dog shows they will be sponsored by big fat corporations such as Iams/Eukanuba...my friend who organizes dog shows depends greatly on Iams/Eukanuba to help her out...they provide prizes, tents, tables etc. etc.
They even help my friend out when she is planning a litter. They send her puppy packages for the new puppy owners to take home with them including literature on caring for your puppy, puppy food, toys, towels with Iams written on them, treats, bandana with Iams written on it etc. the new puppy owners takes home their little packages which did not cost the new owner any thing. Some of the products provided to the new puppy owner will be displayed on the pup (such as the bandana) and Iams is receiving some cheap advertising...the same as at the dog shows...they provide their products, tents with their company name on it, squeeze toys with Iams written on it..viola, they have received some cheap advertising.
Big corporate companies such as Purina and Iams/Eukanuba are so big they can afford to invest in big advertising scemes.

Also at the vet clinic I work at they have representatives from science diet, medical and Iams coming to the vet clinic to have discussions with all the employee's and the vets about their products and why its so good for the customer's dogs. They also make it very easy to stock their product...I have also heard that some companies such as Iams will give a little extra to stores etc. which will display their product at eye level. Of course this is just what I heard so its not a cold hard fact :wink:

Cassie - yup that's bodybreak.

I figured they were getting paid. It just cheeses me off, people will assume that the stuff is good because of the source of the add they won't question. Which is likely why Purina did it. And those bodybreak people cannot think dog nutrition is so different from peoples that a diet of substanderd corn and some slaughterhouse byproducts spiced with suger and salt is good for dogs even if it does have dried peas and carrots in it. :roll: :evil:

No response to my email yet.