Dogomania

A questio for those of you with older dogs...

I have a question for those of you who have had your dos since they were a puppy, seen them grow, and they are now a little older.
I was mostly wondering at what age did you notice you're dog was starting to slow down?
The reason I am asking is because I have noticed some drastic changes in Taurus in the past few months. He's not the same dog he once was. My husband is convinced that it's because we had him neutered at an older age, and he thinks we should have left him intact... He was very afraid that neutering Taurus would "change him" , and indeed something has.
He is uninterested in people anymore. Before when we would pass someone on the street, he was all wiggle bum, and so excited if someone extended their hand to pet him. Now he barly gives them the time of day. He will sniff their hand and thats it. He has also just recently become dog aggressive ( at the age of 4 years old) and territorial ( he was never like this until about 4 months ago, around the same time he was neutered)
Ussually when I come home from work he is allready standing at the front door by the time I turn the key, and he's jumping up and down... so thrilled someone is home. Now he doesn;t even get up off the couch to come greet me.
If I take him fo walks, he cxomes home afterwards, lays down, and is so tired... after a 30 min walk... He's used to getting lots of long walks so this is upsetting to me.

My question is: Is this just Taurus getting older? Is it possible that he would age like this in such a short time? Is there something else that could be causing this? At what age did you notice a change ( if any) in your dogs behavior as they aged??

Thanks,
Kara

So Taurus is just over 4? He should be in the early prime of his life, I would have the vet check him over. I think Jesse was past 9 before I could even DREAM of keeping up with him on an agility course. Even then, I found out a couple of months later that his thyroid was low, it might have been inching downward well before that.

Could it be that Jada is tiring him out, playing?

My male is 3 and a half yrs old....was neutered at a year and a half. I haven't had him since puppyhood,but he is all Boxer and has always had a great amount of energy for walks and play sessions. In the past month and a half, since we brought Lyra home, I have noticed he seems more distracted and worn out...doesn't want to walk as long...isn't as interested in playing the second I come home. I think it is just because he wrestles and playfights so much with Lyra now (she is 15 months old...barely more than a puppy, and FULL of energy) that he is honestly just tired out.

Well, he has an appointment at the vet, but I couldn't get an appointment until next week because of my wierd work schedule.
It is possible that he's more tired because of Jada, but I doubt it. He doesn't even seem to want to play with her that much anymore.
The thing that bothers me the most is how he is reacting with people. He is in no way aggressive, but he could care less about anyone who comes up to pet him. This is not like him ... he is very friendly ... and loves meeting new people.???
Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure it was too early for him to be slowing down... I will keep you informed as to what the vert thinks.
Kara

T&J, this is NOT normal aging. Four is the prime of life, even in a big dog.
Neutering would have calmed him down some, actually should have lessened any aggression he showed. should not have made him any less playful. Possibly there is an infection from the neutering? he needs to see a vet.

He is still eating/ drinking fine...
when he moves he just moves slower, so I dont know if he is in pain. He isn't limping, but I know often with the breed, they have a high pain tolerance, and they won't show shomething is wrong right away. Thats why I'm worried that since hes slowing down, thats his way of telling me hes in pain???
When I take him outside, instead of running around like he normally does, he'll take two steps, and lay down. I will walk around the yard with him to try and get him moving, but this is not like him at all... hes not lazy, I know that!
DO you think it could be displacia?? :(

Don't worry ahead of when you need to, see the vet then see what he/she says then see if you need to worry. If it is HD it doesn't nec. have to be a big deal, there are a few people here with some excellent and simple success stories re HD. Anyway HD usually sets in well before 4 years, from what I know.

no dysplacia comes on over time. there are symproms ahead of time. it doesnt just "happen"....he sounds like he's sick. could have an infection, or just about anything. any chance he could have gotten into something? antifreeze? oil? I dont want to be an alarmist, but his sudden disinterest in everything is not normal. a sick dog acts this way. the sooner you can get him to a vet, the better.

It could be early signs of arthritis perhaps or an underactive thyroid? It will be interesting to see what the vet says. My Golden girl Zoe is 13 years past in June and still as mad as a hatter but we noticed her slowing slightly about 2 years ago. She is still crazy and knows no boundaries to being old :wink:

Looks like I might be the only one that has a bit different opinion. My dog snoopy slows down as she gets older. when she was 2, she was able to run for an hour at the dog park, went home, took a hour nap, and then ready to go. now she is 5 and half, and an hour walk (especially in the heat) tires her out. Before, she use to be at the door when we get home, now half of the time, she'll be upstairs slowly getting up from the bed then come & greet us. I believe that's partly from being spoiled :oops: , and knowing we're happy to see them also instead of just them happy to see us. she got a bit dog unfriendly (growl first to assert domanance, then greet later) when she got to about 3, but never had a problem since i know how she behaves, so i always keep an close eye when she met new dogs. although she's always very gentle with puppies regardless. this latest visit, the vet did recommand glucocimine (sp?) for her minor artritis, so that helps a bit. i wonder if the slow down could be partly being summer & partly getting older.

it's a good idea to check with the vet just to be sure. good luck!

I would suggest a vet visit. Hopefully he or she will be able to put things right. It could be a number of things, as everyone has suggested and you'll only stress yourself out worrying about the possibilities (I do this with my cats all the time, that's how I know! :D). It could even be nothing, but only the vet can tell you that. FWIW, BK didn't slow down a kilometre until he was about 8 or so. He had a very long puppyhood *snort*. He's still crazy and approaching his 9th birthday in a week.

Good luck :)

You've already got great advice and I agree the neutering has nothing to do with what's going on.......
4 yr. old is still young for a dog.
My Akita/Rott was probably 9 before she really started to show signs of aging....and that was only a little arthritis.
Good Luck with the Vet, and I hope he runs the appropriate tests for you !!!
Hope Taurus is feeling better !! :angel:

I'd highly suggest that during the vet appt you get blood drawn and a full panel run on it.

I agree with others this is not normal.

We neutered our guy Roku at 6 1/2... now 4 months shy of his 8th birthday he's seems even more lovey, lively and interested in people - if that's possible.