Dogomania

HELP!!! THINKING ABOUT A NEW BEAGLE PUPPY READ MY STORY!!!

CKMILK

I HAD TO PUT OUR MALE BOXER ASLEEP. HE WAS 1 AND HE TURNED ON ME AND BIT ME 5 TIMES I GOT 13 STICHES AND MY NOSE NEEDS PLASTIC SURGERY. HE WAS GROWLING AT ANOTHER DOG THROUGH THE FENCE AND I TOLD HIM NO AND HE LUNGED AT ME AND I COULDNT GET AWAY. HIS TEMPERMENT WAS REALLY CRAZY I HAVE YOUNG KIDS 4 AND 7. SO IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE AND DOGS HERE GET ONE CHANCE IF THEY DO THIS KIND OF THING. HOSPITAL REPORTS TO HEALTH DEPT, AND WARDEN COMES OUT. I COULDNT GET IN THE HOUSE AND HE WAS OUT IN FENCED IN YARD BEING VICOUS. I AM JUST GLAD IT WAS ME AND NOT MY CHILDERN HE WAS A HOUSE DOG. I KNOW HALF OF THE FACT IT WAS MY FAULT FOR TRYING TO TELL HIM NO WHEN HE WAS GOING FOR THE OTHER DOG BUT I CANT HAVE HIM DOING THAT WHEN I HAVE KIDS. WE HAD A BOXER BEFOR WE LOST WHEN HE WAS 7 FOR HEART PROBLEMS. HE WAS THE BEST DOG AND HE LOVED THE KIDS A WHOLE BETTER TEMPERMENT. I GOT A BAD BREED ONE I THINK. WELL IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON I GUESS AND I HAVE TO HAVE A HOUSE DOG IT HAS BEEN AWHILE SENCE THIS HAS HAPPENED AND I KNOW PEOPLE WILL SAY WHY DO YOU WANT ANOTHER DOG??? I HAVE ALWAYS HAD ONE IN THE HOUSE. I AM FEELING LONELY WITHOUT ONE. WE SPOIL OUR DOGS AND I CANT BELIVE WHAT HAPPENED. SO KNOW I AM LOOKING AT A FEMALE BEAGLE PUPPY AT THE LOCAL POUND. I AM NOT GOING TO GET A BIG DOG FOR A LONG TIME SO I THOUGHT WE NEED SOMETHING SMALL. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BEAGLE BE FOR. WE HAVE A FENCED IN YARD AND LOTS OF LOVE TO GIVE AND SHE WILL BE FIXED.( POUND THEY ALL ARE FIXED) SO IF ANYBODY CAN GIVE ME AN IDEA IF A BEAGLE WOULD FIT IN OUR HOME AND ANY INFO ON THIS BREED LET ME KNOW. THEY ARE 8 WEEKS OLD AND THEY COULD HAVE LAB IN THEM BUT THEY ARE REALLY SHORT LEGGED AND TRI COLORED. TYPICAL BEAGLE LOOK. ALSO PUPPY CLASSES ARE INCLUDED WHICH SHE WILL BE GOING TO. SOME ONE IS ALWAYS HOME HERE ALSO. I WORK FIRST HUBBY WORKS 2ND SO THERE IS ABOUT 15- 20 MIN. WHERE THE PUP WILL BE ALONE, WE HAVE CRATES THIS IS HOW WE TRAINED OUR OTHER DOGS. I JUST WANT TO MAKE A VERY ANSWER TO THIS BEING THE RIGHT DOG FOR US. I AM WRITTING THIS TO GET THE MOST INFO I CAN. I DONT WANT ANYTHING LIKE WHAT HAPPEN BEFOR TO HAPPEN AGAIN. WELL ANY INFO IS WELL THANKED!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about this incident and your injuries!! :( Just out of curiosity, was this boxer neutered? Fence fighting can be really bad and dogs can redirect their aggression on whatever, or whoever is handy.

When you take a puppy of unknown breed and unknown heritage, there are no guarantees. Even if you DO know these things, there are still no guarantees!

Beagles are nice dogs, but of course can be very barky. All the ones I know are sweet, cute and lovable pets, if a little hard to train because they love to follow their noses. :wink:

Your home sounds like a good one for a puppy - someone home most of the time, fenced yard, obedience class planned on, etc.

Keep up the obediences classes, learn all you can about raising a puppy, and go for it.:)

I don't know much about Beagles but it sounds like you are a wonderful home for a puppy! If I were you I would research the breed so you know what to expect behaviour wise. Your used to Boxers and Beagles might be a whole different story.

I'm sorry about your Boxer and I totally understand wanting another dog so soon. Life without a dog sux.

Debby

well, first I am sorry about what happened with your Boxer. Sometimes stuff like this happens.

Beagles are hounds. while they dont have the horrific "hound smell", they do bay. A long drawn out "howl"....can be aggravating...cant be stopped.
can you deal with that? (I have a foxhound)

they are gentle creatures, like children, very pleasant personalities...BUT!!!
spark up your yard!! they are natural escapists. they will dig out, run through open passages, and do anything they can to be OUT!!! they need to follow whatever animal scent they smell. its a hound thing...

good luck. beagles are good house pets, but you have to watch for their escapist tendenceies.

NO MY BOXER WAS NOT FIXED AND THATS WHY THE NEXT ONE WILL BE I THINK THIS WILL HELP ALOT ON THE ISSUE OF BITING. AND SENCE THE BEAGLE PUPPY WILL BE FIXED I CHOSE TO GO TO THE SHELTER. WE PAID ALOT FOR OUR BOXER MUST OF BEEN A BYB THATS WHAT I HEAR YOU GUYS ON HERE CALL THEM HUH. I JUST DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT WHERE YOU FIND YOUR DOGS. OUR FIRST BOXER CAME FROM MY HUSBANDS FRIENDS LITTER HE WAS AKC AND THE VERY BEST DOG IN THE WORLD ( MAYBE YOU ONLY GET ONE IN A LIFE TIME :( HE DIED TOO SOON !!!! SO IS THE SHELTER A GOOD PLACE I JUST FIGURE THAT WE SPENT 350 ON THE BOXER AND ALL THE SHOTS AND EVERTHING GETS REAL EXPENSIVE. I MEAN YES DOGS COST MONEY BUT PEOPLE BREED THEM AND DONT CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM DOWN THE ROAD. THIS BEAGLE IS 8 WEEKS OLD AND WILL HAVE FIRST SHOTS AND BE FIXED. SHE WILL HAVE PUPPY KINDERGARDEN. YES I AM USED TO THE BIG DOGS BUT NOW I AM SCARED A LITTLE OF THEM SORRY TO SAY. BUT HE REALLY DID SCARE ME. WORST OF ALL MY KIDS SAW IT ALL. THEY ARE OK WE TALKED ABOUT IT. BUT I REALLY LOVE HAVING A DOG. I HAVENT LIVED A FEW MONTHS WITH OUT ONE.
WE HAD MIXES MOSTLY MY WHOLE LIFE WHEN I WAS A KID. LABS MIXES COLLIES MIXES GERMAN SHEPARDS MIXES. ALOT OF COONHOUND MIXES. MOST WERE FREE PUPPIES WHEN I WAS A KID. I JUST WANT TO LEARN ALL I CAN TO MAKE MY DISSICION ON THIS BEAGLE PUPPY. MY DAD LOVES BEAGLES BUT I DONT REMMBER HAVING ONE. HE SAYS THEY ARE REALLY GOOD WITH KIDS AND HE IS LEANING ME THIS WAY. I HAVE TO MAKE UP MY MIND CAUSE THIS BEAGLE PUPPY IS IN A HIGH KILL SHELTER. SO THAT IS MAKING ME REALLY WANT TO SAVE HER. I THINK IT IS A GOOD PRICE AT THE SHELTER ALSO FOR ALL THEY DO FOR THE DOG. 74.00 IS THE COST AND THAT INCLUDES THE SPAY AND THE SHOTS AND A DOG LICENCE. SO IF THERE ARE ANYMORE INFO ON BEAGLES PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!!!! ASAP

:D Court hit the nail on the head !!
Personally the baying is a little unnerving for me :o ......but Beagles are wonderful pets !! :angel:
I have a friend that had one growing up and now she has one she rescued from the pound.
Great dogs.....also if not exercised they tend to become a little on the obese side...... :oops:
The Beagle my friend got from the pound belonged to an old man who couldn't keep her anymore and boy was she over weight !!!
My friend got her weight down and now she's doing so much better !!
Sounds like you'll be a great home for a pup !! :wink:
Sorry about your Boxer....... :(

Guest Anonymous

Welcome aboard.

May I make a minor request. Please don't type in all caps...I'm one of those who has troubles reading posts like that.

Beagles are a challenge! Give me a hyper active ACD any day over a Beagle. I own both.

My Beagle came to me when she was 4 months old, she had been kicked around by kids, had worms and mange. She was also HIGHLY food and toy aggressive.

She is now 3 years old and the food/toy aggression only shows with my older children. Such as when she has one of their toys and they tell her give she will growl at them. If they continue to try and get it she will snap at them. She has never bitten. However, she typically shares lunch with my 18 month old without incident (under very watchful eyes).

While she is 100% crate trained she is not 100% housebroken. She doesn't alert us if we are not in the living room where our back door is. She has consistently been one of my more difficult dogs to train.

I have an ACD that most people suggested she be put to sleep as she wouldn't make a good pet (for normal people no she isn't but I'm as crazy as she is) and she knows sit, down, crawl, high 5, wave and shake. Belle (Beagle) knows sit only if I have food in my hand. She didn't mature until around 3 years old. She is still very puppy in play and such but the puppy chewing and such is gone.

She isn't VERY barky unless she thinks there is something around or smells a storm coming.

She did find a snake that had gotten into my home. (Post is some where around here)

All around she is a great dog. Would I choose one again for obedience training or something along those lines...nope I can't work a dog who works by her nose. Would I own another Beagle as a pet...as long as I have young kids.

She tolerates my older kids (11, 11, and 10) but I believe her abuse at the hands of kids the day I found her has something to do with that. Despite her 30 minute barking fit when we brought AJ (18 month old) home from the hospital they are the best of buds.

Oh yes she also seems to believe that she is a cat of some sort. Or at least that the cats REALLY want to play with her. While she could care less about a new dog she goes nuts over a new cat in the house and will bark and bray until we let her meet the cat. Thankfully most of the cats put up with it until she is satisfied.

Here she is with my kitten Annie destroying my newly made bed (that is AJ in the background)
[img][img]http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/JTDinger/IM001074.jpg[/img][/img]

There is a series of pictures that lead up to that but Photobucket isn't working for me.