Dogomania

!Misunderstood Akita!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So many people think that Akitas are nothing but a great big Japanese fighting breed, which is far from the truth. They are actually a hunting breed. And in Japan, the dogs are usually much smaller than the show lines. Same with most of the Japanese bred native breeds. A lot of people also think that the Akita is the worst dog to have around children, but the fact is they will protect their family with their lives. Socialization is the key, and no child should be left alone with any dog as it is. I've got a boy and girl here and five Akitas, so i know from experience. Just thought I'd share a little with the board.

Hello, and welcome to the board fellow Akita lover :B-fly:
You do make some good points. An Akita raised from a pup with a young child usually ends up adoring the child more than anyone else in the family. It is almost eerie how Akitas tend to fall for the youngest child in the family. I have witnessed this time and time again.
And for people who dont know too much about the breed, there is an on-going debate in the Akita world regarding the split from the native Japanese Akita and the American Akita. Most people are probably more familiar with the American Akita (aka by some as the Great Japanese Dog, GJD.)
The American Akita is bigger, heavier-bone, etc whereas the Japanese Akitas are smaller and look more like a Shiba-inu.
I do think that the whole bear hunting history of the Akita in Japan is a little over-romanticized. Yes, many were used for hunting bears along w/ other animals, but I think that more keeters were probably used for fishing purposes than bear hunting (this is arguable.)
I would love to see some pics of your Akitas.

Our akita, Nikoma, will be 10yrs old this fall
and is a wonderful dog nanny.

[img]http://www.6stardanes.com/julyeight12.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.6stardanes.com/babybaronsit.jpg[/img]

His page is at
[url]http://www.6stardanes.com/nikoma.html[/url]

Nikoma shares the house with
2 people, 6 Great Danes & 3 cats.
[/url]

I just found my boy Thor a new home because of male on male aggression, but it does not change the way I feel about the breed. They where always wonderful with my children with the exception of my dads old female who has now tried to bite my daughter twice; one time for no aparent reason. But all of the males I have owned are wonderful special dogs. They just need to be owned by experienced people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have 2 very young grandchildren ages 2and a half and 7mos. Our Mika loves them both and treats them in an age appropriate manner, She chases and follows the 2yr. old and lies quietly and kisses the baby.The kids can pretty much do whatever they want and she lets them get away with it no aggression here. We always supervise the dog and the kids and we dont allow the kids to hurt the dog. That's important too that children learn to treat the dog with kindness and respect.

• 2 weeks later...

As a person who rescued and placed 33 Akitas, I may know something about Akitas and kids. NO reputable rescue places adult Akitas with families with kids under 10 or 12. Why? The dominance of the breed over smaller animals and yes, kids. The tendency to nip to correct an erring pup/child is strong.

Yes, Akitas can adjust to young children in their original pack/home. But proper adult supervision is necessary. These are not Cocker Spaniels; an Akita will correct (nip,snarl) when really bothered by a child. Their teeth leave a much more lasting mark on a child than that of a Cocker Spaniel.

The other reality is that children scream, run and wrestle with friends.
An Akita can interprete these behaviors as a cry for help; most Akitas will intervene. In this world of suing people, the Akita gets no second chance if it nips your neighbor's kid once. The threat of a law suit will result in the Akita being taken to vet to be killed. No rescue can take an Akita in who has bitten. Save an Akita--keep it far away from kids screaming in horseplay.

J. Ringer

My wife and I recently lost our beloved four-year-old Akita, Kita. She struggled with pancratitis and finally passed in my arms. We soon went out and bought a puppy from a reputable breeder and have one minor concern. She was four months old when we got her and she is very skittish. She is warming up to us slowly but, we are worried that her fears will remain with her. Any ideas?

God bless. It is so hard to lose an Akita. They are like an extension of your own body. On your new darling, expose her in small increments to neighbors, post office, park. Ask people to hand her treats (that you give to them in advance) so she will associate new things and new people with good stuff. Enroll in puppy obedience class. Socialize, socialize, socialize.

A very easy treat that I used in obedience class was chicken hot dogs sliced very thin and microwaved until they were dried chips. Easy to carry in pocket, much loved by my Akita.

Jo Ellen and Torii the Terror (after all , he is one year old!)