Dogomania

Thunderstorms

MajiesMom

What does your dog do when there is a thunderstorm?

Magic doesn't care she doesn't do anything but sometimes when the thunder gets really loud she barks at it like to say "shut up!"

I've heard of dogs hurting themselves because they are so afraid like scratching and biting things and ripping off nails and breaking teeth. :cry:

Until a couple of years ago (or so), none of mine ever even seemed to notice storms. I live in an area that has daily thunderstorms nearly every afternoon during the summer and they seemed ok with it. A couple of years ago (or so), during one of these afternoon thunderboomers, a bolt of lightning struck a cluster of trees just in front of our house in full view of the dogs through the big front window. It was so creepy, you could feel the warmth coming through the window. That bolt stayed on the ground for several seconds while it bounced through the cluster of trees. Since then, a couple of them have become very nervous when storms approach. One is so bad that he will lose control of his bladder and bowels sometimes and just pace and drool. The other is just kind of nervous and pacy, but nothing too bad. One of our Standard Poodles (Pauly) is HORRIBLY frightened of thunderstorms. He's been like this since we've had him, so I don't know what might have lead up to it. He basically hibernates... will find a corner, bunk down in it and "meditate" until it's gone. During this time, he will not raise his head, open his eyes, or otherwise acknowledge anything until it's over. We call it his "special happy place." The rest of The Gang doesn't care one way or the other.

Nothing about thunderstorms bothers my 2 except the inconvenience of getting wet when it's time to do their business. Now, they both love water otherwise. But as soon as a storm rolls around, they refuse to go out to poo/pee unless I come with them. Little stinkers.
It always goes like this:
I open the door and tell them to go ahead. They both creep to the edge of the door and stop. They look out at the rian, they look at me, they look out at the rain, they look back at me. So I take one step out beyond the door, onto the front step. They take one step, too. The look at the rain, they look at me, they look at the rain.... This continues for a few steps until I finally give in and walk right out into the yard with them. They happily follow.
By now, you'd think I'd wisen up and bring an umbrella. :D

Well storms have never seemed to bother Morgan cept she dont want to go out . Sarah has always done well till just after we moved and they were abit worse here Louder thunder and in a smaller house. I did what i could to get here to relax and pretty much ignor them, the melation(SP) from the thunderstome and fire works page worked well for her and comands and not babing her when she acted afraid. She seems to be doing better. :lol: :lol:

Blitz hates thunderstorms. He's afraid of them, I think. whenever we have one he'll go outside and bark and bark and BARK until it's gone. It's really hard to get him to calm down; if you put him inside he just spends all the time at the back door whining to go out. He's the same with blimps, hot air balloons, and fireworks. Though he looks really happy and satisfied when he's chased the object away with (he thinks) his barking. :roll:

I don't know about Kira as we haven't had a big storm since we had her.

Indy is really not fussed. A while ago when I got home from work it was looking pretty ominoius with lots of dark cloulds overhead, however I was sure Indy and I could get a quick walk in before it started to rain - WRONG!! When we were about half way (same distance to turn back as to keep going) it stared to really rain hard and there was also thunder and lightning happening every few minutes. I'm glad he wasn't freaked out by it as it's not like I could have picked him up and carried him home. We just sprinted the whole way and were both soaked to the skin by the time we got home (just in time for the power to go out).