Dogomania

Update On Apollo

I am so sorry to hear this about Apollo. There is NOTHING you could have done to prevent this.
Know that by holding him close while he slips over to the Rainbow Bridge is the greatest gift of pure love you can give him. In between now and then, spoil that baby rotten!
My sincerest condolences to you.

I'm sorry to hear this about Apollo.. My friend just recently had a tumor removed from his brain and it was terrifying precedure for his friends and family.. The surgery is really risky and I don't know if it's available for dogs, or even if you'd want to risk it!

We're all hear for you when you decide what you will do.

I've allready talked to the breeder, and she's calling all the other owners of the littermates. She's never had this in her line before. I'd do anything for him, but surgry isn't an opition, it's to far in, and in a spot that could paralize him permently. I'll just see how he gets on. If he lets me know he wants to go, I'll do it. :cry: :cry:

First fighting the battle with Sassy's problems now this

:( :(

[quote name='newfiemom']How about chemo? Has the vet suggested that? I know this is hard and you definetely don't deserve the pain with all that you have been thru.[/quote]

I don't know if I want to put him through the hell. I know chemo is exspensive also. I'll just keep good thoughts.

I am so sorry :( I have gone through cancer and lost one of my Newf's 2 years back. It is hard to watch your loved one suffer through some thing beyond your control. Make Appollo's last days happy, go to his favorite places etc.
I have been reading up on a supplement called Artemisinin which is showing promise for treating cancer in humans and dogs.
Here are some sites you can contact.
Canine Cancer Research
Professor Henry Lai, Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle
Phone: (206) 543-1071
[email][email protected][/email].
Kristen Kellar-Graney, Washington Cancer Institure, Washinton, DC
Phone: (202) 877-3390
sarcoma.org.
If you choose to use Artemisinin, work with your veterinarian in monitoring your dog's progress.
I am not sure if it is effective for type of cancer Apollo has...but, its worth a try.

For dogs with Cancer here is a guide line for diet.
-All ingredients should be fresh, highly bioavailabe, easily digested, and highly palatable, with a good taste and smell.
-Feed only organic foods such as fresh organic meats, either raw or cooked with organic veggies and some fruits.
for veggies choose veggies such as broccoli and dark green leafy veggies such as spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress, bok choy.
-give fish oil supplements and flaxseed oil, you can also feed canned sardines, wild salmon etc. the fatty acids in fish have been linked to tumor inhibition and strengthening the immune system.
-Vitamin C should be given with the fish oil supplement.
-give digestive enzymes
-Garlic in small amounts (a clove a day) there is evidence that garlic and its organic allyl sulfur components are effective inhibitors of the cancer process.
-Safflower oil
-Limited carbohydrates.
you can check out companies such as Primal pet foods
primalpetfoods.com

Make every moment last...keep your positive attitude. That was one of the hardest things I went through was not crying every time I looked at my dog with cancer, I kept a positive happy attitude which my Newf picked up on...he was happy and active until the end.