Dogomania

Nail triming?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok Zoey has very long toenails i just went and got the dremel and cut them all down .. last time we just used clippers she moved and got to much cut and started to bleed..

i know when cuttingy ou have to be careful of the qwick underneat h ( i think that's what it is called right ?) well when using the dremel do you have to take the same percaustions? or can you do them shorter? we just tookt he nails down to here we could see the qwick underneath it but they are still long.. how do i get it so they can get shorter ?

There's the same sort of precautions with dremels, usually you'll start hitting a whole bunch of whitish junk before getting too close to the quick. Often the quick will recede the closer you get to it when trimming, but this is a process that takes a few weeks.

Also with dremels, you have to watch and make sure that the nail doesn't get too hot. And at all costs, never get the dog's hair trapped in the dremel, it hurts like h*ll. If necessary, push your dog's nails through an old nylon so that the hair and nails are seperated.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! Zoey doesn't have long hair so it's not a problem and we just kept givin her cheese while we were doing it and she was totally fine during the who incident! :)

your best bet for getting the nails shorter is being diligent with dremeling. i've got the same problem with my own dog and never really managed to get his monster claws shorter until i started using the dremel and doing weekly sessions, sometimes even twice weekly.

grind off as much as you possibly can each time, this forces the quick to recede because it's sensitive.

One thing I've done to speed up the process of working those nails back is to notch the underside of the nails with the Dremel. It's not hard to do, but kind of hard for me to explain. After you've ground the nail back as short as you can (remembering, of course, not to let it get too hot), go underneath the nail and just grind out a little notch. That also makes that quick recede and if you go back a few days later and clip/grind again, you can take much more off. Then maintain with the regular weekly or bi weekly sessions. It's just kind of my little cheat and a faster way to work them back. I'm the world's worst slacker when it comes to nails (as much as I like a nice, tight foot... go figure :oops: ) and usually end up having to work them back.