Dogomania

Does your dog respond to weird words?

StarFox

Well we all know that dogs respond to certain words, like "treat", 'outside", "Cookie" ect. But do your dogs respond to words that don't mean anything to them?

For example, Zebra responds to these words and/or phrases everytime someone says them. They have no meaning to him he just responds or gets excited when hearing them.

-Oil
-Ringo Starr
-Wanna learn how to fly?
-Ogga Booga Boo
-Highland Park
-Rainbow Bridge

So what weird words does your dog respond to?

Snoopy will be upstairs, but when Chad (my sig-other) open the fridge door, she'll rush down toward him and make sure she gets whatever he's having. There are times where nothing can be hear except the opening of the shreded cheese bag by Chad, and she'll show up from no where and do her adorable face to get some cheese :) . What a snot!

Both my dogs respond to me putting on any sort of shoes (Even slippers). They both get up and watch to see if I'm going to go outside, and if I do head toward the door Abby does what I call her 'outside dance.' :lol: She pulls her ears back and bounces around all happy like, it's the funniest thing and it looks like she either has to pee really bad or is dancing. :lol:
Let's see what else.... Abby knows what 'go night night' means and she'll go up to my bedroom (where she sleeps) when I say it. Oh! That reminds me, the word go. Both dogs look up whenever I say this, because it can be good or bad. Good: "Go for a walk?" "Go outside?" "Go night night" "Go to the park?" Bad: "Go to the vet" "Go for a bath" "Go to the doggie hotel (boarding kennel :wink: ) "Go in the pen" and probably a lot more that I'm forgetting about. :P

[quote]Abby knows what 'go night night' means and she'll go up to my bedroom (where she sleeps) when I say it.[/quote]

Cool. I said that too when it's time for bed. Snoopy will follow me upstairs and jump on to her daddy's spot and lay down. Sometimes when I am watching tv downstairs and it's getting late, she'll whine to let me know it's time for bed, then she gets excited when I say "you wanna go night night". My princess needs her beauty Sleep!

Thanks Abker17 I just remember real words my guys respond to besides sounds. They are,,
outside ( and they run to the door and do a dance)
excuse me ( and they move out of the way ),
Get Busy ( and they poop or pee, we must be very carefull not to use this inside the house!!)
Good night ( and Asim goes to his crate, Free and Patti go to their side of the room)
Their is probally more but I can't remember.

Magic responds to certain tones in words but I can't think of any of those words off the top of my head. She does her deep stare and exaggerated GSD head tilt from side to side. It's mostly high pitched words or words that sound like other words i.e. "tree" and "treat" :)
Magic's magic word is "go." If you are downstairs having a conversation and she is upstairs and you use the word "go" in a sentence - she is there in under a second! She has radar ears!

Guest Mutts4Me

LOL, Star Fox...

Sasha for whatever reason responds to the word "Pickle Sauce." Okay, that's two words, and they make no sense, but she always gets excited about it. We do call her "Sas" sometimes, but it doesn't sound the same as "sauce" (unless you're in Boston or NY ;)).

Also really loves "Garage" - even though we don't actually have one.

I can't think of any others at the moment. I believe there are others, but I haven't seen my dog in almost 3 months, and stuff like that isn't at the top of my head at the moment :(

Anyway, hope that's more of what you were looking for :)

[quote name='JackieMaya']When Jackie and Maya are playing together, if they stop, I do a "D'OH" like Homer Simpson, and they start up playing again.[/quote]

My dogs do that whenever I say 'Boo'. Also if you say Monkey anywhere where Lucky can hear you he'll come running. *shrug*

Yep! In agility training many times folks who give seminars recommend that you use a "you got it wrong" marker word. Nothing nasty just an upbeat "oops", so the dog knows that the behavior wasn't quite right.

Well, I can't use "oops". To my dogs "oops" means that some type of food just hit the floor so come and get it! Any mention of "oops" will bring both my dogs running to the person who uttered it and have them searching the floor for the dropped tidbit.

[quote name='Nancy B']
Well, I can't use "oops". To my dogs "oops" means that some type of food just hit the floor so come and get it! Any mention of "oops" will bring both my dogs running to the person who uttered it and have them searching the floor for the dropped tidbit.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm so amazed, your dogs don't follow you around when you have food? Mine does, hopping that something, anything will fall on the floor. :roll:

[quote name='StarFox'][quote name='Nancy B']
Well, I can't use "oops". To my dogs "oops" means that some type of food just hit the floor so come and get it! Any mention of "oops" will bring both my dogs running to the person who uttered it and have them searching the floor for the dropped tidbit.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm so amazed, your dogs don't follow you around when you have food? Mine does, hopping that something, anything will fall on the floor. :roll:[/quote]

Depends on the situation. If I have treats and am training the dogs will stay rivited to me unless I do something like put them on a stay. If I'm in the kitchen preparing a meal (human or canine) the dogs are not allowed in there. They must wait outside the kitchen in either a sit or a down until I put their bowls on the floor and release them. If it's human food, they're not allowed in the kitchen period....absolutely no begging at the table.

The only exceptions to the above are if I invite them into the kitchen. (I do sometimes do that after dinner. Just because we won't give them a scrap from the table doesn't mean that we won't save it for later and let them have it after dinner in the kitchen.) The other exception is "oops". As I said, "oops" means something hit the floor so COME AND GET IT!

Weird words? Hmmm.

K is just an odd ball herself so this shouldn't be too hard. :wink: No matter what I say, I get an odd response from her. There is "na-na" which is "go to sleep". She picked up on this one when Kevin and I were babysitting a two-year old. The little darling called bedtime "na-na" so that is what we would always say. Now K can't seem to forget the darn word. :roll:

"Geeeeee-yat" ("Get" with some sort of accent *shrugs*) means "off" or "out" to Kyra. It is usually when she is on Kevin's side of the bed and he wants her off, that's what he says to her and now it's stuck in her head. LOL When I go "baby, baby, babyyy" in a baby voice K knows that means that we're going for a walk. :D

There are also sounds K responds to. If I pick my keys up off the table and they jingle, K is instantly at my side. She thinks it means a car ride and she's usually rarin' to go. When the alarm goes off to announce some one has entered the house, K runs to the door to greet who ever it is. We've actually had a few cases where she gets hit in the head with the door because she's there so darn fast. :lol:

I don't know what K thinks my cell phone ringing is but she ALWAYS responds to it. She comes waltzing into the room I'm in and plops herself down, looking at me talking. She then begans to wag her tail and look adorable. Maybe she knows she won't get much attention then and is trying to distract me?? Little genius. :o

Zoe and Meg respond to hum nums which is probably the weirdest and basically means food/treats etc. Zoe also responds to "need do one" cos thats what shes asked before we take her out for a walk, and lucky puppy bone is another one cos she gets a winalot biscuit bone from Sainsburys when Mum goes shopping every week and she totally knows that when the shopping comes in, that she will get her lucky puppy bone. :lol: