Dogomania

Surely I can't be the only one....

gooeydog

Just one of those strange things that you do, then it strikes you as odd.... I was sitting here just now eating pretzels, dropped one onto Goo's back (she's laying in the seat of the chair, me squatting on the arm, you can tell who rules the roost here :roll: ), picked it up, shook it off, and ate it :o without even a thought. Normally I'm freakishly picky about my food, different foods can't touch each other, out of place things (little specks of enamel from pots, etc) have to be plucked out, along with the food that surrounded it, anything foreign in my drink sends me over the edge.... yet I have no qualms about -literally- eating off the back of the dog, who, while she isn't coated in crud, certainly isn't what I would consider "clean".

Anyway, sorry for the late night ramble [size=1](now you all probably think I'm insane)[/size], just wondering if anyone else has ever caught themselves doing something out of the norm because of the dog :lol:

I pick about a dozen dog (and cat) hairs a day out of everything I eat and think nothing of it. I found a tuft of hair in my chips yesterday, no problem pick it out and carry on munching. I've never eaten anything off my dogs back probably only because it wouldn't be there long enough for me to pick it up again. The only thing that grosses me out a bit is drool. I was eating chicken wings the other day and pulled off a piece for the dogs and handed it to them (of course they got the chicken and most of my hand in their mouths and had to lick my fingers after) and without thinking picked up another wing. Once I realized what I did I was grossed out, but normally fur and stuff don't bother me. But find human hair and I freak.

No I don't think anyone is going to think your insane. I too don't have a problem with stuff like that but hate the idea of human hair on my food. Which is weird because most people I think shower everyday(at least in my house they do I don't know about restaraunt employees) yet the dog spends a awful lot of time rolling around in things that are questionable. [img]http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Dunno.gif[/img]

errr no... I think all doggy people have a slight element of insanity :o

We know our dogs lick disgusting things but yet we still let them kiss us :lol: Dog and cat hairs in food are just a normal part of life too hehe.

I wonder what our dogs think of us ? I remember once at a show over in England we were camping and lets say we had a bit to drink, and my friend Fay and I were walking the dogs and came back to the tent to settle the dogs for the night. I had a schmacko in my hand ready to give it to Meg and I was chittering away to Fay and absent-mindedly put it in my own mouth :o Meg was sitting nicely and everything and the look of horror on her face when she saw me eating her treat was priceless ! Funnily enough she didnt reject it after i spat it out and she gobbled it up lol! :lol:

Every day there is dog hair or rabbit hair in my food or drink, meh. I just pick it out don't think about it. I suppose to any non-animal person that would realy freak them out.

Sometimes on walks I'll let zebra drink out of my sport top water bottle and he gets it all slobbery, I just wipe it off and drink out of it anyways. :oops: :oops:

Food wouldn't be the same w/o dog hair flavoring :) . Picking out dog hair in my food is exactly same as me picking out mushrooms (yuck yuck, hate mushrooms) from my food, and then continue eating. I sometimes will even eat food that snoopy have a lick but decided she's too good for it :oops: (yah, kind of gross).

My friend use to joke that she can only bake cookies for dog people, because dog people's understanding about dog hair in her cookies.

As for who's the boss, my hubby gets kick out of Snoopy's spot on the couch whenever she decided she want it.

Yep I'm in the same boat as most of you, I always find dog hair in my food I couldn't care less.

[quote]Sometimes on walks I'll let zebra drink out of my sport top water bottle and he gets it all slobbery, I just wipe it off and drink out of it anyways.[/quote]
:lol: I do that same thing!

[quote]I think the only strange thing about the scenario is that the pretzel didn't vanish the moment it touched Goo's back. LOL[/quote]

I would say that sounds about right, if it was either of my dogs it woulda been gone before I even noticed I dropped it. :lol:

[quote name='abker17']
[quote]Sometimes on walks I'll let zebra drink out of my sport top water bottle and he gets it all slobbery, I just wipe it off and drink out of it anyways.[/quote]
:lol: I do that same thing! [/quote]

Add me to that list. It's usually because on walks/runs I don't want to carry lots of stuff (ie a separate water bottle for Blitz and a bag for him to drink out of), but I'd be less likely to catch something from him than from another person, I think. (I hope!) :oops: :wink:

Umm..I had a cat who was allowed to sit on my lap at the dinner table, and pick delicacies from my plate, much to my husband's horror and disgust. :D I also let cats lick my ice cream cones.

I also put the dinner plates on the floor for Chloe to clean before I put them in the dishwasher. I don't do this when I have non-doggy people over. These people seem to think dishes should be thrown in the garbage if an animal touches them.

As for animal hair on food - I've probably eaten so much cat/dog hair I'm surprised I don't get a hairball!! :lol:

I have been known to share an ice cream cone with my dogs when out. One lick each, then I split the cone up for each one. If I go to Tim Hortons for my coffee, I always get my an every thing bagel to share.

I always do a spot check before leaving the house, I have found big gobbers of slobber in my hair, on my bangs, on my butt, legs etc. so although I don't like looking at myself in a full length mirror....I have to.

I have decided vacuuming should become an olympic sport, I have been in rigorous training for years, hey, they allowed sychronized swimming...its quite unfair not to recognize vacumming. :-?

I have found myself having conversations with my dogs :o

I also enjoy my meals with my dogs, I live alone with my dogs so they are my mates. If they could learn to prop themselves up in the chairs properly and develop table manners I would be all set. Lets see, they would not be considered working dogs, nor show dogs...I guess I am trying to develop a table top pleasure dog.

I sleep with my dogs every night, even after a horrible rainy day when my dogs after their last walk for the evening have become soaked and or muddy. They still sleep with me and I don't object to having a muddy, soaked Newf's, Rottie and a dobie in bed with me. I have found I can change my bedding in the morning with no harm done.

The coldest, most bitter Canadian day and I still take my dogs for their 3 daily hikes. I am sure the postal carriers could not keep up with us dog owners...come rain, nor shine nor sleet nor hail will keep me from walking my dog.
I get up at 5:00 in the morning to start attending to my dogs. I only dream about sleeping in...some folks dream of winning the lottery...my goals are just a slight bit lower than that. :wink:

I met a nice fellow a little while ago, when he came to my home and was introduced to my 6 dogs...he did a little flinch of sorts...I can't explain it, but, he was not thrilled to be in the company of my dogs. I ditched him very quickly. Years ago I would have put up with any thing to be with a good looking guy...now, my values have changed 360 degrees. My dogs come before people...you don't like my dogs, then I don't like you.

It's no wonder other people tend to think of doggy people as being just a little wacko :oops: :wink:

My great aunt lets her dogs eat ice cream with her off the same spoon. I used to think it was disgusting but now I dont. I guess after getting licked by dogs who occasionally actually get their tongue in my mouth it doesnt seem as bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My cat has really long hair that gets everywhere so Im used to waking up with cat hair in my mouth or swallowing some or picking it out. I let my cat drink out of my glasses too, no big deal to me. :)

Good thread! I definitely think dog people are different (in a GOOD way).
Things I do that are weird to non-dog owners.
I rush home from work to let my babies out. If I'm running a bit late or get held up, I feel sooo guilty.
I shop for my babies more than myself.Their gonna need their own closet VERY soon (like now).
When sharing a new delicacy with my girls, if they don't like it (which is rare) I finish it off gladly much to the disgust of guests.
We share ice cream and milk from cereal.
We take naps in summer in a hot, cozy pile.
They sleep with me every night no matter how stinky they are.
My idea of a night out is a walk with my girls in an undiscovered park or trail, or a car ride where we take our time and enjoy the night sky and a soft summer breeze.
We walk (happily) in below zero weather, rain, snow, you name it.
And the weirdest thing? (to non dog lovers) We love each other UNCONDITIONALLY (which is virtually unheard of in this crazy world).

WHAT??? you mean dog and cat hair is NOT supposed to be in the food?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I too put the plates down and let the dogs finish them off. this makes my son crazy, even tho I have explained a zillion times that the water in the
dishwasher is hot enough to handle it.

[quote name='courtnek']

I too put the plates down and let the dogs finish them off. this makes my son crazy, even tho I have explained a zillion times that the water in the
dishwasher is hot enough to handle it.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, dog hairs in my food/water don't usually bother me either, just the unidentifiable little specks and blobs (and human hairs, blech!) :roll: We even find dog hairs petrified into our ice cubes, despite the fact that the fridge has an ice maker, so the water never even comes outside of the fridge to be "furred", I guess they just drift in there :lol:

[quote]I have found myself having conversations with my dogs :o [/quote]

You're not the only one. :lol: I talk to Abby constantly, ask her questions too. Like if I'm trying to decide between two things I'll ask her and which ever thing she sniffs first I go for. :lol:

Abby also sleeps with me, no matter what. In fact I can't sleep unless she's in the room with me.

I always give my doggies the end of the ice cream cones, and let them have the rest of the milk from my cereal.

[quote name='abker17']
You're not the only one. :lol: I talk to Abby constantly, ask her questions too. Like if I'm trying to decide between two things I'll ask her and which ever thing she sniffs first I go for. :lol: [/quote]

Oh your not the only one that does that!! I do that all the time with zebby! I usually have him choose my shoes that I'm going to wear for the day. :lol:

OK TOO funny.....the dog food bowls get run thru the dishwasher once a night, with the pots and pans. I asked Kyle to feed them, and he comes out and says "I cant feed them". "why not?" "the bowls have dog hair in them".....'WHAT?" of course they do, they're DOG BOWLS....

"you let them eat dog hair?" "Kyle, they LICK themselves all day. you dont supposed they're eating dog hair then?" "GROSS!!!" and out he goes....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I am guilty of letting my dogs lick my ice cream cone. And eat of my spoon or fork. Im really bad about it with the pups in the house!
Also, I cannot stand people hair in my food or drink. I wont eat it at all once I see a hair and also have that "gag" thing happening. But, if its a dogs hair, Ill pick it out and go right on to eating or drinking.