Dogomania

Is anyone else upset with Animal Planets Animal Cops?

nasek718

Animal Planet really needs to keep this show off the air. The APBT is not getting any possitive press from this show. All I've seen thus far are a bunch of people who are killing a breed one by one under the guise that the are helping the breed by getting them away from the irresponsible owners. Instead of trying to find a foster home or adoptive family they nurse the sick dogs back to health and then kill them under their DSL. I for one hate the light that this show spins on the breed. The show is primarly filmed in one of 4 locals. New York City, Houston, Miami-Dade, and good old Detroit. All of which have a shoot first ask questions second when it comes to Bully breeds. Not every Pit bull found is aggresive. More often than not they just want a lap to rest on. If anyone else has seen this show and dislikes it please let me know. :agrue:

• 3 weeks later...

Animal Cops MHS euthanizes all seized PB type dogs.
Animal Precinct will go to great lengths to rehab and place PB type dogs even those with possible fighting backgrounds.
The difference may be that Animal Cops is out of Detroit where there is approximately, at least, 1 PB type dog for every other person in Detroit, according to one stat I saw last year on Animal Planet. Additionaly Detroit has a huge problem with dog fighting. The MHS is simply not able to manage the volume of dogs with special needs that these conditions present them with. PB type dog owners, breeders and vendors in Detroit need to be extra careful because of this. It is a sad situation but there are no easy solutions. All good PB type dog owners and breeders in the Detroit area will need to become very active in their communities promoting proper ownership, good breeding and selective vending ect. or this problem is not likely to be solved. Having viewed Animal Cops I don't think that most of the PB type dogs give the breed a bad name. In fact most dogs pictured are portrayed as victims, they often seem sweet but beat up, abused and tired. Often the officers indicate that they would really prefer not to be having to seize the dogs as they will only be euthanized. I think that the villanized party is actually the bad owners and that is as it should be.

• 1 month later...

Half of those "pit bulls" are boxer or hound or even LAB mixes.

I don't care about the reputation it puts on the breed, quite honestly. If people are so ignorant to believe that, let them. I care that they just euthanize a dog because it LOOKS like a pit bull, even though it's licking their hand and looking at them with love in its eyes. I don't like their assumption that all pit bulls will turn on them, either.

I for one am sick of the rescue org's getting a bad rap. Do their job for a while, especially in Detroit and then form your opinions.
As DP said, the actual villans are the low life morons who promote the bad reputation of the pit bull and the 'looks like a pit bull' dogs in fighting and guarding their drug stashes.
As the 'true' pit bull is SUPPOSED to be friendly and sweet with humans, using that arguement holds no water. I have seen more than a couple dogs brought into the shelter who are wiggly/giggly with people but seriously want to attack another dog. As soon as the other dog is out of sight, the aggressive dog is wiggly/giggly again with people. Any rescue org that seizes a huge number of dogs, such as Detroit, does NOT have the resources or ability to ensure that these dogs go ONLY to a home with no other dogs and one that will NEVER allow said dog to meet another dog on the street.
I am sad to see dogs slated for euthenasia for being food aggressive but part of me does understand the reasoning. A dog that is seriously food aggressive is a tragic event just waiting to happen. There are very few adopters who would have the knowledge and steadfast attention to detail to ALWAYS ensure that everyone, especially children, are kept away from a dog while it is eating. I do believe food aggression can be managed and trained out of most dogs, but it is NOT a simple quick process. Nor is it foolproof, few dogs can be completely flipped the other way if they have food aggressive tendancies. Many of these dogs have been starved and like Scarlett O'Hara, vow to NEVER go hungry again.
I have said it before and will say it again, while I love ALL dogs, including pit bulls, I would NOT want to have one living next door to me that not only was capable of easily killing my dogs BUT had a strong desire to do so as well. Dogs that have been trained to fight and have taken to fighting will CONTINUE to seek fights. Ok, I'll add, not all but I would imagine a fairly large percentage of the 'street' fighting dogs. Do the rescue orgs have the money and manpower to invest in each dog to rehabilitate them into non dog aggressive family pets? No.
If you disagree with what is happening, then stop complaining about what others do and DO SOMETHING FOR THE BREED YOURSELF.
Scrape up the money and know how and start rehabbing street fighters. Get to work changing how the public views pit bulls by CHANGING the propensity of the breed to be dog aggressive.
I don't agree with every situation on the shows but I WILL NOT be simply critical without walking in their shoes. You must try and imagine the horrors these folks have seen, over and over and over. These folks also put THEIR skin on the line to rescue these dogs, yes some are rescued only to die, that is a sad fact that is perpetuated by the morons who continue to back alley fight and breed more dog aggressive dogs.

[quote name='Dog Lover']At least they don't announce that Pit Bulls have LOCKING jaws like the Animal Police from Miami Dade did. [/quote]

I absolutely agree, it is irresponsible and harmful to the dogs to quote such nonsense. People hear that on TV and think well gee it must be true if the animal cops say it is. I hope those of you who feel this must be addressed are continuing to write AP and Miami Dade to set them straight. Include any factual articles and supporting documents that you can and be persistant. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Well I live in Broward County now, just north of Dade County where I used to live, in the city of North Miami. And Pits were banned a few years back. You're not allowed to have one no matter what. Dade county has horrible animal control. In about 2000, my c@t (who lived out doors), was eating a midnight snack, when some strays came into our fenced yard and killed her.
Nothing was ever done about it, nothing ever happened to the dogs. All my life there's always strays that would roam the streets. My grandfather was big within dealing with the city officials, and always complained to have dogs removed. But you'd only see the dog catchers out about once a month. It's just not very well maintained at all, and the shelter down the way was always over crowded. He even taught us how to use a sling shot. One of the really nice ones to help keep dogs off the property. Granted he never had the heart to kill one, neither did I, but it did scare them away. Even the big fat orange c@t that would come eat our c@t food.
Now here in broward county, there's strays out in Hollywood, not too bad and I've never seen any packs of dogs, like before. And the Humane society and even the pound isn't all that bad or over crowded. I got Kiani from the pound. But another thing up here, there's a dog park with several dog lovers around. So theres some place to take them, so they're not fenced up all day long.
It's funny to think about how different things are once you cross county line.

• 1 month later...

I am a rescuer in NY, just north of Manhattan - The ASPCA in NYC is a no kill shelter - however there are several other shelters in the area who cannot claim to be 'no kill shleter" many have the 3 day limit and I might add horrible conditions. The lucky ones get to go the the ASPCA.

I use the NY ASPCA frequently as a resource [url]http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that show too! Everytime a german shepherd mix or pitbull comes on they are "Highly agressive" but when ever a lab or lab mix comes on, they say that the dog is sweet-natured,even if the dog tries to attack them because "it is scared"
they need to cancel that show, or stop being raceist!!!I've known much nice pits and shepherds than those mean ugly labs!!!

I think that all the Animal Cops shows are wonderful. The people who work for the ASPCA love animals and try to do whatever they can to rescue animals from bad situations and to find them forever homes whenever possible. Unfortunately, not all cities have sufficient facilities to be able to save all the animals.

The animals who are aggressive (no matter what breed) are often termed unadoptable because they don't have the manpower to rehabilitate the animals. I saw one show where two small breed dogs (don't remember what breed) were confiscated from their owner because they let them loose all the time and they bit several people. One of the dogs was deemed adoptable and the other was deemed too aggressive and was ordered put to sleep.

In Detroit, any pitbull that is confiscated is put to sleep because that is the law there because of the huge dog fighting problem there. It's not what the Animal Control people want to do, but they have no choice.

Like someone else posted, the NY ASPCA has rehomed many pit bulls and has shown that they can be a great family dog.

Unfortunately, most of the people who watch the Animal Cop shows are animal lovers, not the animal abusers/horders/idiot owners who SHOULD be watching the show.

[quote name='Roxy_GSD']I hate that show too! Everytime a german shepherd mix or pitbull comes on they are "Highly agressive" but when ever a lab or lab mix comes on, they say that the dog is sweet-natured,even if the dog tries to attack them because "it is scared"
they need to cancel that show, or stop being raceist!!![b]I've known much nice pits and shepherds than those mean ugly labs[/b]!!![/quote]

Who's being racist?

• 2 months later...

I think the Miami Animal Cops show is a bit dissapointing...alot of the investigators give out false information and seem to be completely clueless on the subject of pitbulls and dangerous dogs altogether...I think its about time they hire someone else or take the show off the air...

As for Animal Precinct (Detroit)..I actually really appreciate that show...opposite of MAC...the people actually know what they're talking about, and as someone previously mentioned, they try their best to rehome the pits and educate the public..I've heard them say alot of great things about the dogs..which is great...

But I'll say this now...its definately not an easy job..being a cruelty investigator is one heck of a stressful career...it can be rewarding at times, but it can also be one of those jobs that you want to walk out on. I just started a summer student position with cruelty investigation...its like a co op program..and let me tell you...its exactly what they show on TV..some of the stuff you see makes you want to go on a killing spree..so we really do have to thank them for having the jobs they have
some one has to do it...

ithink i seen it yestrday right?
from the point of veiw of owner of such dog i can see the pluss and negetives in such an acction. from one side our redi is the cutes and the most cuddeling dog i ever meet but from the other hand she do tries to kill anything alive and moving she see's except humans and kid our amstaff and even with him we have some rules like no toys in the home etc
there police is to give the best and safets pets, not everybody can own such a dog and keep him safe to other animals so they put the down, except redi all the dogs that where condemn with her where putted to sleep, and my bf needed to go to the court house and fight for her to get her

• 2 months later...

[quote name='JackieMaya']I think that all the Animal Cops shows are wonderful. The people who work for the ASPCA love animals and try to do whatever they can to rescue animals from bad situations and to find them forever homes whenever possible. Unfortunately, not all cities have sufficient facilities to be able to save all the animals.

The animals who are aggressive (no matter what breed) are often termed unadoptable because they don't have the manpower to rehabilitate the animals. I saw one show where two small breed dogs (don't remember what breed) were confiscated from their owner because they let them loose all the time and they bit several people. One of the dogs was deemed adoptable and the other was deemed too aggressive and was ordered put to sleep.

In Detroit, any pitbull that is confiscated is put to sleep because that is the law there because of the huge dog fighting problem there. It's not what the Animal Control people want to do, but they have no choice.

Like someone else posted, the NY ASPCA has rehomed many pit bulls and has shown that they can be a great family dog.

Unfortunately, most of the people who watch the Animal Cop shows are animal lovers, not the animal abusers/horders/idiot owners who SHOULD be watching the show.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I love animal cops and animal precinct. I'll come back and post more later didn't get to read the 2nd page.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='nasek718']Animal Planet really needs to keep this show off the air. The APBT is not getting any possitive press from this show. All I've seen thus far are a bunch of people who are killing a breed one by one under the guise that the are helping the breed by getting them away from the irresponsible owners. Instead of trying to find a foster home or adoptive family they nurse the sick dogs back to health and then kill them under their DSL. I for one hate the light that this show spins on the breed. The show is primarly filmed in one of 4 locals. New York City, Houston, Miami-Dade, and good old Detroit. All of which have a shoot first ask questions second when it comes to Bully breeds. Not every Pit bull found is aggresive. More often than not they just want a lap to rest on. If anyone else has seen this show and dislikes it please let me know. :agrue:[/quote]

yes I agree with you it doesn't make any sense. they always have detroit on there. I was raised near detroit, very poor most parts.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='nasek718']Animal Planet really needs to keep this show off the air. The APBT is not getting any possitive press from this show. All I've seen thus far are a bunch of people who are killing a breed one by one under the guise that the are helping the breed by getting them away from the irresponsible owners. Instead of trying to find a foster home or adoptive family they nurse the sick dogs back to health and then kill them under their DSL. I for one hate the light that this show spins on the breed. The show is primarly filmed in one of 4 locals. New York City, Houston, Miami-Dade, and good old Detroit. All of which have a shoot first ask questions second when it comes to Bully breeds. Not every Pit bull found is aggresive. More often than not they just want a lap to rest on. If anyone else has seen this show and dislikes it please let me know. :agrue:[/quote]
well yea I am actually why would they do this hmmmmmmmmmmmm :watpliwy: