Dogomania

Our trip to Petsmart

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, yesterday I decided to take Bentley and Roxie to Petsmart for a little interaction. Didn't need anything, just thought it would be fun. Well, for the most part it was a lot of fun. They got a lot of attention and pats, etc. Even some really young kids wanted to pet Bentley. They usually don't because he's a little indimadating (sp?) because of his size. It was just so cute when this little 18 month old boy (sitting in a cart) started leaning over and reaching out to him. So his mom got him out and held him and let him pet Bentley. Just have to have a little rant on something though. It always annoys the crud out of me whenever we go anywhere and owners of little dogs start grabbing their dogs up like Bentley's going to eat them or something. I know he's big but he's not scary, just makes me upset because it's like there's some stimga attached to big dogs. But oh well. The thing I really wanted to ask about is this. As we were leaving a woman and her Golden came in. First Roxie went up to the Golden and started introducing herself (i.e. sniffing). Then as I was leading Bentley out those two sniffed each other. Then all of a sudden they're (both) growling, barking, and lunging towards one another. Bentley has NEVER reacted this was before to another dog. As soon as I realized what was going on (2 seconds maybe) I jerked Bentley back and told him no. He stopped right then. I waited for the woman to walk on with her dog and then we left. Any ideas? Was this just a case of two dogs not liking each other? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I think I wrenched my arm out of socket pulling him back. Hurts like a mother today! :oops:

it's hard to say exactly what caused them to react that way, maybe one of the dogs smelled something they didn't like, maybe they just don't like each other...that happens. I agree with you on the other stuff you said, sometimes when I take dante (my 80lb APBT) to pet smart people act the same way and it's rediculous. majority of the time he will plop himself down in the isle and lay on the floor cause it's nice and cool, while I look at stuff and people will turn around and not come down the isle because of the viscious pitbull. and it's usually the people with the small little dogs. Oh well, i just laugh and ignore them. Ignorance sure does run rampant.

Well it depends on if the dog was male or female and whether or not the dog was altered. That makes a big difference especially if your dogs are altered.

The other dog couldve started it by making defensive threats that may have been unoticable (sp?) to you. Its really hard to say without me being there.

Maybe if you tell some more things, the dogs gender and if it was altered and if youre dogs are altered (sry I dont know much about your dogs, I feel like I should though.)

Im guessing the dog was a male, most likely un-neutered, and thats why Roxie got along with him and Bentley didnt. *shrugs* Just a guess....

My dog have done the same thing. Certain dog just doesn't smell right I guess :-? She have also done the same thing to people. Back when I live in a townhouse complex, there is a old mom-pa couple that we will see on our walk. Snoopy have no problem with the mom but will always bark at the pa. Pa is the one who always stand in their front yard across the way and yell at me to "pick up her poop" when Snoopy was just doing her peeing business. Guess dog can sense when the owner is annoyed with certain people :wink:

It sounds like it was a case of male/male dominance. Bentley had received a lot of attention at the store and was obviously still thinking he was the bees knees and cats whiskers and proud of his space. By letting the kids stroke him he received good attention and respect, therefore when the other dog walked in, it sounded like this dog invaded his space and Bentley was voicing his displeasure at the new-comer entering his domain that he had created with much treasured respect. I don't think you have too much to worry about at all given the circumstances. To me it just sounds like a bit of a displeasure reaction.

Guest Anonymous

Wow people pick up little dogs! I'm serious people around here seem to think it's funny to let their little dogs get in Beaux's face and bark at him. I have to warn him that while he is not a mean dog his paws are HUGE and in playing he could injure their toy dog.

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if the Golden was altered or not but he was male. Bentley is altered and Roxie isn't....yet. She will be sometime next month. When I stop to think about it, I think I remember the Golden's lip snarling a little before they started barking etc. at each other though. It's like I told my hubby I guess, that's why you should always have good control over your dog. The other woman just kind of stood there. Guess I'll have to chalk it up to experience and learn from it. I'm always careful whenever my dogs meet new dogs (take it slow, make sure I have a good handle on them, etc.) I'll just have to make sure I keep doing it. Thanks for all the advice I didn't even stop to think about the dog being male and possibly unaltered etc.

I am a firm believer that dogs, like people, sometimes just DONT like each other. The lip-lifting may have set Bentley off, or the Golden may have been showing a dominant body posture that Bentley didnt like. Bentley may even have felt threatened. (hard to believe from a Golden, but yes, it does happen. that's why I HATE selling according to breed standards)
they arent all clones. Goldens are
"generally" laid back, and accepting. doesnt mean they ALL are.

sometimes, they just dont click. I have seen this repeatedly with Freebee her whole life. and she's part Lab....

I hate to admit it, but there have been times where, inside of 5 minutes, I have decided I DONT like someone. just something about them that sets me off. I may change my mind later, after getting to know them. hard to tell what goes thru a doggies mind on first acquaintence.....

Guest Anonymous

It is odd - just when I think I understand how dogs think, they surprise me.
I used to think it was all about male/female and pack/territory but no, some dogs just dont like other dogs and others get along right away I cant explain it. Smell perhaps.

Petsmart and Petco and those that welcome people to bring their dogs into the store must have TONS of insurance. Because there are certianly some idiots out there who have brought their aggressive dogs into those stores and Im sure people have got bitten.

in a lot of cases it is. Wolves in a pack often dont like each other..they may be vieing for position, or a step up the ladder...but the pack rules keep them in line. it's the lower orders that fight, while vieing, and not the upper levels who are secure in their place. had both been loose, they may have worked it out. One would have backed down, or a fight would have ensued. but leashed, there isnt a lot either of them can do, and they know it. since they werent in the same "pack" they may have just been establishing their places.

• 2 months later...

Big dog owners, please don't take it personally when people pick up or steer away their smaller dogs. I had a medium sized dog who was very afraid of larger dogs, and I found that avoiding her contact with them was best. Otherwise my Shatz would growl/pull at any larger dog (in sort of a "pre-emptive strike") and the other dogs would usually get defensive too, and then we're all dragging our dogs away from each other.

I didn't take her into Pet Smart for this reason, but at the park, school yard, etc. it was amazing how many other dogs owners thought it would be just great to try and let their dog socialize and "wrap leashes" with mine.

In other words maybe they don't think your dog will be a problem, but the KNOW theirs will... so don't feel bad or think those other people are necessarily "ridiculous" when this happens.

Guest Anonymous

This is a really old topic, we try to not bring up old topics agian. so next time just check the date on the post ;) normally if it's not on the first page we dont bring it back up cuse it's already been takled about ;) welcome to the board though

while I realize its an old post, she has a valid point. I never considered that maybe people were less scared of the big dog and more concerned that their own dog may misbehave. I have led Free away from dogs, rotties and Pits and shepherds, cuz she is just the type of bitch to start a fight. I personally think she has PMS sometimes....I wonder if those people thought I was afraid their dogs would attack her? I was more afraid she'd get nasty with them. she's not small, but she's not nearly as tough as she thinks she is....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

In my case whenever I have the chihuahua yes I do pick her up. I don't know anyones large dogs and all it would take was one big chop and Angel is severly injured. She gets along with all dogs and is not snappy in fact she is quite docile so if it's a small dog I will allow them to see each other. But how am I supposed to know whose dog is well behaved or not she weighs 10lbs and I am not going to risk her safety because someone might be offended.

In the case of Toto who weighs 20lbs I never pick him up he is not docile by any means in fact he kind of intimidates the large dogs. I have seen them take a step back if they get too familiar with him(they like to sniff underneath him which lifts him in the air) :lol: and he lets them know he doesn't like it.

Guest Anonymous

Cairn, don't get me wrong. I understand your point of view. It's not so much when an owner picks up their small dog that irks me. It's when they pick up their small dog, shoot me a dirty look (how dare I bring my big dog into Petsmart?), and practically run the other way that irks me. I understand about wanting to make sure that your dog is safe. But I don't really feel it is necessary to shoot dirty looks, etc. at owners of large (in Bentley's case...GIANT) dogs.

I agree Bentley. I musta missed the "dirty looks" part - thats uncalled for.
I just know that Free will take on any dog she feels is trying to be more "superior" to her. She has "attitude, plus." so yes, I do steer her away, but I dont hold the other dogs owners responsible. I cant pick her up, she's 75 lbs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: