Dogomania

marrowbones

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi just wanted to check something out........i was about to go get my tia a big juicy marrowbone from the butchers yesterday and my friend was horrified...apparently she way to young(3months)
ive never heard anything like that before! cooked bones i know not to give her but marrowbone??
any thoughts :-?

I don't see any thing wrong with giving a pup a marrow bone. As long as its fresh and thrown out after 12 hours (they dry out quickly). By letting your pup chew bones at an early age it will learn how to be a good chewer, I also would supervise your pup while chewing on the bone. It stimulates the mind, it enjoyable...and its good for puppies teeth. I wouldn't give too many marrow bones to your pup as the marrow can be quite rich and can cause diarrhea. You might want to try other fresh raw meaty bones once in awhile, I give all of my dogs a leg of lamb every so often with all the meat still on the leg...of course that may be a little too big for a small pup.

By the way , Congrats on your puppy. :wink:

I don't know if there's any reason not to feed a puppy a marrow bone; maybe the marrow is too rich for their digestion???

You might start with a really small (thinly cut) one.

I freeze mine first. They keep longer and they LAST longer, too.

Both my dogs love them.

When you dog has gotten all the marrow licked out, you can put in some peanut butter and then freeze that for another kind of treat.

[quote name='Cassie']I never thought to freeze them and then put peanut butter in them after ward. Thanks for that info :wink:
Thanks pitbullEmily[/quote]

you can stuff Kongs the same way and freeze them
I use apple sauce (plug the small opening with peanut butter..)

I don't think there's any limit!

:drinking:

[quote name='pitbullEmily']
You might start with a really small (thinly cut) one.

[/quote]

Er, no. Or to clarify, nothing small enough or thin enough to A. be able to get stuck in pups throat or B. slip over lower jaw.
Old family pet (long since passed on) once got a bone stuck on his lower jaw, he had worked the bone his lower canines. It was terrifying watching my father take this bone off but he did it without breaking any teeth. Otherwise poor Pepper most likely would have had to wait til the morning to go to the vet, this was, oh, 30 odd years ago and I doubt we had a local emergency vet.
If excessive marrow at one sitting is a concern, scrape most of it out first before giving bone to dog. You can either discard excess marrow or chop and freeze into little bits for tasty little freezer treats.