Dogomania

What do you feed?

AllAmericanPUP

Thanks so much for your help TDG - I am getting the Nutro at Petsmart, II did see that my trainer(instructor) carries Canidae, but unless I am was missing something the ingredients didnt look any better than the Nutro.....
where else should I look, and what in your opinion would be a better choice for similar $ ?

baileysmom, at first glance ingredient lists don't tell you much and often look very similar. for some help on telltale differences, check out these two links:
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=li101[/url]
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=identify[/url]

if you can, try the canidae, most dogs do exceedingly well on it. it's more than a world apart from nutro and contains almost twice the amount of meat ingredients. pretty much the only decent brand petsmart carries is their "blue buffalo", which is quite expensive tho, especially considering it doesn't offer anything that other premium foods don't have. if you have a petsmart, look at natural balance and avoderm. also check out local farm and feed stores, they often carry better quality foods or will special order for you. innova and california natural are two brands i can't recommend highly enough.

for comparing prices, see my post to the other current kibble thread, i posted a comparison calculation between two foods that show not-so-obvious facts about feeding cost.
[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=13875[/url]

Guess I'll jump in...

TDG,
where would you put Wellness compare with Innova, Canidae, and California Nature? I can get all four brands, and currently is on Wellness. thanks again for all the great info and help. Also, what do you think about dog can foods. is it worth the $$ to feed my dog once a week compare to dry dog food?

katetsai, they are all excellent foods made from very high quality ingredients. however, wellness has a relatively small amount of meat protein included, only about 30%. innova and canidae have about 50%. since a dog's diet should be meat based, not grain based, that puts wellness at the lower end of the premium foods for me, despite its excellent ingredient quality. california natural is also an excellent brand (made by the same company as innova), but it's designed mostly as an allergy formulation with a very limited ingredient list, so it doesn't have many of the "kitchen sink formulation" ingredients (fruit, veggies, dairy products etc.) that "regular" foods have. it's still a good choice of food, but if people want to feed it and their dogs don't have any food related issues, i always recommend adding small amounts of fresh fruits and veggies and a bit of yogurt or cottage cheese now and then.

there is no problem with feeding canned food per se, but if you just want to do it as supplemental feeding, i'd rather recommend using fresh, unprocessed foods such as meat, cottage cheese and whole, raw eggs. it's cheaper and the health benefit is much greater. if anyone is interested in easy to make supplement recipes, feel free to PM me.

carol - you are absolutely welcome!