Dogomania

Doggone Problem

Nookie

Well as some of you know I have two dogs,one spoiled brat,and the other a family pet.But when the family dog was given to us it had behavioral issues.It was also teething.I did what I could to stop this.Treats,water spray,toys,ect.The dog is unsocialable.So we had no other choice but to take it to the shelter.It almost killed one dog (there was blood all over the other dog's coat and neck) and keeps biting especially children.I want to blame the shetler we got her from for giving us a dog so unruly,because they're suppose to train it and see if its suitable for a family,so it won't do harm to anyone like bite somone or something.And i want to blame myself for not giving the dog some more time and spend more time with it.After a month or two I sorta gave up and it was just food everyday,treats n toys once in a while,and a bath every two weeks.While I had my other dog treated like a pamper pooch.I had two dogs before.A rottweiler and the current pampered pooch.I treated them equally the same and everything.Sometimes as its a larger breed I fed it more treats than the small one.But with this dog I don't know why I neglected it and I know they're going to put her to sleep because she had started a fight with another dog once we got there.Should I be feeling this guilt or was it the right thing to do?

Sorry I haven't been here in a while,been caught up with other things,good to be back though!!

Guest Anonymous

Personally and this is just me...I don't know what all was done to correct the problems or work with them and frankly I'm not going to go into that now.

What concerns me is that instead of holding her lovingly in your arms while she was put to sleep you dropped her off at a shelter to be even more afraid and scared.

That's my only concern. I would have held her until the end. I know she had her demons but she deserved to be comforted in the end by the people that she knows.

I agree with Tammy. I could not have just dropped the dog at a shelter and walked away knowing full well what its fate was. I would have been there when it took its final breath, to offer comfort and reassurance.

I really think it's a bit much to expect shelters to obedience train dogs. Sure they should be able to assess temperament and make sure vicious dogs are not rehomed but gently put to sleep. It seems this little dog was not suitable for rehoming.

Shelter staff a very busy just looking after the dogs people dump. Obedience training is the responsibility of the new owner IMO.

I am worried about the shetler and about Cookie.They assured me if it was not suitable for adoption,it would be humanely put to sleep.But,I could not call or visit to see if Cookie was adopted or not,and that is what is troubling me.Why can't I not know about my own dog,even though I did surrender her I want to know what is going to happen to her.I don't think I could of handle her begining put to sleep with her by my side.When my smaller dog almost died in my arms I had nightmares for weeks.I rather not think of the thought of her dying in my arms.And I was going to try a behaviorest,but the vet expenses for the smaller dog was keeping us from getting one.

shetler Cookie was taken to,so far no pictures of her put up for adoption :cry: - [url]http://www.humanebroward.com[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote]But with this dog I don't know why I neglected it and I know they're going to put her to sleep because she had started a fight with another dog once we got there[/quote]
[b]Quote by Nookie[/b]
You don't know why your neglected her :roll: :o :o :evil:

[quote]So we had no other choice but to take it to the shelter.It almost killed one dog (there was blood all over the other dog's coat and neck) and keeps biting especially children[/quote].
How could the dog almost kill another dog by taking it into the shelter...as you quoted your dog started a fight with another dog when you got to the shelter. Are you a troll?? or just a really bad dog owner. :-?
If a dog was biting children it should have been taken first to a behaviorist, but, as you stated you did not have enough money. I think I would have FOUND the money! you should have had the dog accessed by a vet to rule out health problems...and if none then the dog should have been put down humanely with you by its side at the vet clinic...or could you not afford that either? I get the impression you dropped the dog off at the shelter so you didn't have to pay expenses of putting to sleep.

[quote]I want to blame the shetler we got her from for giving us a dog so unruly,because they're suppose to train it and see if its suitable for a family,so it won't do harm to anyone like bite somone or something[/quote]
A shelter can only do so much, the rest is up to the current owner. I couldn't imagine a shelter having the money to pay for training...or the time. The best they would be able to do is have volunteers train the dogs. Even then I have never heard of our local shelter training dogs which are adopted out, unless they have been in a foster home prior to adoption.
Could you imagine going to a reputable breeder and requesting the pup be trained before you buy it??? its not going to happen.

the dog that she fought that bled was a friend's dog,she picked a fight with some other dog at the shetler.and the shetler was my mother's choice,*i would of took her to the vet.i didn't even want for her to go to the shetler,it was my mother's idea.but i was worried if she were to ever escape and attack or kill someone or something,so the shetler seemed like a good idea.and *if i knew that you could put a dog to sleep for behavioral issues and not just health-related issues than i would of gone to a vet instead of the shetler and not having to worry what is going to happen to her.and don't think i didn't care for the dog.she was semi-spoiled.went to the groomers and even took her to the park.i would have her on a leash and i took her to the beach too,where she love to play with the waves.she also had bundles and piles of toys.i admitt i didn't ''love'' the dog,because i didn't really get to bond with the dog.when we played it would have to become a training lesson due to her biting.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Nookie']I am worried about the shetler and about Cookie.They assured me if it was not suitable for adoption,it would be humanely put to sleep.[/quote]

I'm sorry to put this so bluntly...if the problems you said Cookie has are as severe as described...she has been put down. There are many ways this could be done and considered humane....She could have been given "the needle", she could have been gassed (here they have small chambers the animals are locked in alone and allowed to die by Carbon Dixoide I believe).

[quote]But,I could not call or visit to see if Cookie was adopted or not,and that is what is troubling me.Why can't I not know about my own dog,even though I did surrender her I want to know what is going to happen to her.[/quote]

Once you turned her over she was no longer your dog. I'm sorry that's how it is. Something you should have thought of.

[quote]I don't think I could of handle her begining put to sleep with her by my side.When my smaller dog almost died in my arms I had nightmares for weeks.I rather not think of the thought of her dying in my arms.And I was going to try a behaviorest,but the vet expenses for the smaller dog was keeping us from getting one.

shetler Cookie was taken to,so far no pictures of her put up for adoption :cry: - [url]http://www.humanebroward.com[/url][/quote]

I know it is hard. My mom has never been there when her animals have been put down. It's been my job since I was about 16 years old. I understand she can't "Handle it" so I am there so that they are not scared and with strangers.

I don't know what to else to say. I'm very much at a loss for words.

around 3-4months,she was a big dog though,and had a good grip when she bit too,and when she fought the dog,she held a good grip of the other dog's neck and would not let go,but i pulled her from her collar to get her off the dog

GOOD NEWS!!!

if you check the website [url]http://www.humanebroward.com/[/url] go to view adoptable pets,go to dogs,she's on the list!i'm glad she can get a better chance in life.she's an akita mix,6months old by the name of ''cookys'',no picture yet.

Wait a minute! I have not posted on this thread out of respect for the board (this is a very tender subject with me) but you say the the dog is 3 or 4 months old ( I am guessing this is when you got him) and you expected him to come TRAINED from the shelter?? Maybe I should just shut up on this thread.......it is upsetting me greatly. :evil: Poor little puppy, I hope he can find a [b]loving[/b] home to go to soon.

Ok, one more thing, PERHAPS if you had taken the time to socialize the dog, train the dog, spend time with the dog things would have worked out much differently. I HOPE you are not going to be getting another dog any time soon.

Debby

Its sad you gave up on her so soon...at least this way she'll find a good home. I'm glad the shelter people were smart enough to not put her down because you said she was aggressive. She's a puppy, not aggressive. Puppies bite, and they need training. A four month old dog dosn't know what its supossed to bite and what its not unless you teach it! :cry:

And din't you have 3 dogs before? a Black GSD, a Rat Terrier and a Lab?
What happened to those dogs? I hope too that your not planning to get another dog anytime soon. :(

Oh and I really hope your still not planning to breed your Rat Terrier. If you still have her that is.

Guest Anonymous

Okay you know I thought I said my peace...but for some reason until now I didn't get that this was a puppy (Selective reading? I don't know) but FOR GODSAKES! A PUPPY! You sent a puppy to the pound for biting to hard. MY GOD!

You know what I'm glad that the pup is getting a second chance and that they didn't take your word for it. Now it gets a second chance at life!

And oh by the way...I foster dogs in my home and while yes I work with them to help make them better companions I don't have them completely trained when they walk out the door. Training is not only on the dogs side....in fact many trainers will tell you they are NOT training the dogs, they are training YOU to train your dog.

UGH!

[quote]And oh by the way...I foster dogs in my home and while yes I work with them to help make them better companions I don't have them completely trained when they walk out the door. Training is not only on the dogs side....in fact many trainers will tell you they are NOT training the dogs, they are training YOU to train your dog.
[/quote]

that's exactly what they are doing. and I'm sorry, but this thread has upset me too. a 4 mth old puppy nips, bites, teethes. You could have tried ice, or tough chew toys, or even a frozen washcloth. ALL of the above will help a teething dog stop suffering. have your teeth never hurt? it's the worst pain in the world, aside from a burn.

I better shut up now.

It was a puppy!! What do you excpect a puppy to do??? Puppies nip, and chew. And you turned her over to a shelter for that?? That's BS. Did you take time to attempt to work on training? Or did you just ignore the dog??? :evil: She needed to be taught that nipping & biteing is a no-no, but you just threw her away. Was she even soicalized with other dogs?? She didn't get a chance to learn how to play nice. How long did you have this dog? And do you any other dogs??? I'll stop now before I say something I shouldn't :roll: :x :agrue:

I just wanted to say that I'm quite disappointed with Nookie. Nookie, you have been here long enough to learn a lot about responsible dog ownership and sadly, it hasn't seemed to have sunk in.

I am glad that poor little *puppy* has a second chance- many don't. :angel:

Nookie, i agree you must be more patient and try to understand you 4 month puppy behave. As i've seen here you have to be so much patient especially with an akita puppy (maybe Jeff help us here), but after all this fella has a second chance, so please learn from the mistakes.

You know having a dog is a big compromise, and it's not fair for the puppy to be in the risk of being PTS when he actually has a good home with you. :)

[quote]I had two dogs before.A rottweiler and the current pampered pooch.I treated them equally the same and everything.Sometimes as its a larger breed I fed it more treats than the small one.But with this dog I don't know why I neglected it
[/quote]

Why didn't you pay this dog the attetion you payed your perivous dogs??? Was she not worthy enough??

[quote]It was also teething.I did what I could to stop this.Treats,water spray,toys,ect.The dog is unsocialable
[/quote]

Did you ever consider her teeth were hurting, and she needed something soild to chew on. A rag frozen with water works wonders. And did you even take time to socialize her? It was your job to teach her how to be socialable in public & with other dogs. And your Job to teach her not to nip & bite!!

[quote]i admitt i didn't ''love'' the dog,because i didn't really get to bond with the dog.when we played it would have to become a training lesson due to her biting.
[/quote]

If you didn't love the dog, why'd you get her in the first place? You know training is bonding. I got through to an abused dog through training, he became my best friend. Just playing with a dog isn't all there is to bonding, teaching the dog your boss, that you make the rules, makes them respect you as leader, and that's bonding. But no you took her at the tender age of 4 months and dumped her off because you could take the time to work with a puppy who needed training. And don't come down on the shelters, they just do what they can with what they have!! I pray that you won't discard your other dogs, if they start to have problems.

Please don't get any more dogs or other pets any time soon and concentrate on the ones you have now.

A good rule of thumb is that a responsible owner [i]never ever ever[/i] takes their dog to a shelter and leaves them there. It just doesn't happen because what you have done is the very definition of a bad owner.

I realize this may not be all your fault, because you are young and living at home where the final say is not your own, but all of your family should be ashamed. :(

[quote name='kendalyn']
I realize this may not be all your fault, because you are young and living at home where the final say is not your own, but all of your family should be ashamed. :([/quote]

Maybe I'm just different and my parents are different but I don't see this as an excuse. I would do anything for my dogs, and my parents would have to pry them out of my hands before I'd let them give them away. Even then it would be difficult and they'd have to lock me up. Nookie said she pays for her dogs things, therefore I don't see the problem if its not costing her parents any money. There was no excuse for giving up that poor dog. If she didn't have the money, then how can she afford the other dog?

[quote]Well as some of you know I have two dogs,one spoiled brat,and the other a family pet.But when the family dog was given to us it had behavioral issues.It was also teething.I did what I could to stop this.Treats,water spray,toys,ect.[/quote]
you can't stop teething, you can only help relieve the dog's pain. teething isn't a behavioral problem, it's a part of life for a growing puppy.
[quote]The dog is unsocialable.So we had no other choice but to take it to the shelter.[/quote]
a four month old dog is unsociable? i highly doubt it. what exactly did you do to try and socialize him? where did you take him?
[quote]It almost killed one dog (there was blood all over the other dog's coat and neck) and keeps biting especially children.[/quote]
i don't know if i believe the situation was as serious as you make it out to be. i could be wrong, but 4 month old puppies are rarely this aggressive. was he biting children or nipping, as puppies are prone to doing? was the biting malicious or playful?
[quote]I want to blame the shetler we got her from for giving us a dog so unruly,because they're suppose to train it and see if its suitable for a family,so it won't do harm to anyone like bite somone or something.[/quote]
no. shelters are not supposed to train your dog for you. many do check for temperment, but i suspect most shelters are too busy to train a dog in obedience. temperment testing is also not foolproof. a dog can behave very differently in a shelter enviroment then in a home. it is also difficult for shelters to assess how a dog will behave around children since children aren't usually hanging around the shelter. shelter workers can only do so much.
[quote]And i want to blame myself for not giving the dog some more time and spend more time with it.After a month or two I sorta gave up and it was just food everyday,treats n toys once in a while,and a bath every two weeks.While I had my other dog treated like a pamper pooch.I had two dogs before.A rottweiler and the current pampered pooch.I treated them equally the same and everything.Sometimes as its a larger breed I fed it more treats than the small one.[/quote]
so you didn't spend time with the dog and you're upset when he doesn't behave? well SURPRISE! dogs are companion animals who thrive on human contact. puppies are especially needy. i find it hard to believe you truly tried to socialize this dog since you gave up on him after only two months. why was this dog so different from your other "pampered" pets? i guess since he wasn't perfect he's not worthy of love. you should blame yourself. you sent this dog to a shelter to be put down after you neglected him for not being perfect. you should feel bad.
[quote]But with this dog I don't know why I neglected it and I know they're going to put her to sleep because she had started a fight with another dog once we got there.Should I be feeling this guilt or was it the right thing to do? [/quote]
fighting with other dogs is not necessarily a death sentence. it will be much harder to adopt him out, but it may be done. obviously this wasn't the right thing to do. i can't believe you even have to ask.

this post made me unbelievable angry. i find it hard to believe that someone who calls her dog "it" is truly a dog lover. a dog is not an it. did he even have a name? apparently you've frequented this board before, so there is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

[quote]Sorry I haven't been here in a while,been caught up with other things,good to be back though![/quote]
oh! well terrific!! :o

Oh yes it is up to the shelter to make sure this dog is placed in a home that is good for it and to give it basic obedience skills. Most shelters have volunteer trainers who will train dogs free of charge.

A good shelter/foster home will help in matching the dog to the owner.

I do not know if Nookie is telling the truth here BUT IT IS THE SHELTERS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THE DOG IS PLACED IN THE RIGHT HOME SO IT DOESN'T COME BACK!

When I foster dogs my input is quite valuable in the type of home the dog goes to, which is how it should be.